Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

On energy bombs

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Why not make the energy bomb an EMP charge that will disable all ships in range for 1 minute or so?
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

pagroove wrote:
Why not make the energy bomb an EMP charge that will disable all ships in range for 1 minute or so?
We had thought about doing this, but it was decided that it was getting too complicated for the scope of the next stable release, so it did not proceed. The energy bomb will remain as is until the MNSR.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

That is however another idea I can add to my list ;)
BTBC
Above Average
Above Average

Post by BTBC »

I sometimes use a Oohaul transport and the energy bomb is the only weapon they can take so they will be even more challenging soon. :lol:
Poro
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Poro »

Thargoid wrote:
That is however another idea I can add to my list ;)
I hope my 'seismic charge' idea is on there? 8)

Admittedly, it would be a very 'exotic' weapon.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Not at the moment, as I don't much like the idea of a 2D weapon in 3D space. It doesn't make much sense to be honest.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

allikat wrote:
I did notice a bug with e-bombs in 1.73.4... e-bombs shouldn't give you bountys or kill ratings, and they give you bounty at the very least.
That was always supposed to be the downside of the e-bomb, cost and not getting any elite rating or bounty from the kills...
I don't remember that from Elite. I am pretty sure that energy bombs always gave you both kills and bounties.
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

I think it would be fair if neither the E-bomb or Q-weapons awarded kills.

The E-bomb, for me, is a weapon of last resort; for when you're out of fuel and/or the injector is broken, you're down to the last energy bank, the station aegis is still very far away, and things are looking grim. In that situation the E-bomb is a bacon saver. The alternative is being quick with the eject handle, or the remloc.

Triggering it any other time when you're in shape to fight your way out (or light the injectors and flee) is a cheapshot, and you shouldn't get a magic boost to the combat rating for a one-button instakill of every ship around you smaller than an Anaconda. Or bloody everything period, in the case of Q-weapons.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Poro
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Poro »

Thargoid wrote:
Not at the moment, as I don't much like the idea of a 2D weapon in 3D space. It doesn't make much sense to be honest.
Yeah, I think the handwavium I heard from Star Wars fans was something along the line of, the seismic charge is a 2D terrestrial weapon hastily modified for space for the element of surprise: no ships would have a built-in defence against a planet-based weapon - so it's just the kind of trick a famous bounty hunter would use.

I only mentioned it because people were complaining about the unbalanced nature of the E-Bomb. A customized planetary device like that would require more skill and tact to use.
Last edited by Poro on Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

I know what you mean, but technically a seismic charge (as in the real thing) is just an explosive charge, and therefore 3D.

In any case the bombs I'm working on are all balanced, as they use ship's energy and drain your energy banks down to 1 bar when fired. But the more energy you have and "donate" to them, the more damage or chance of effect they do.
Poro
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Poro »

Thargoid wrote:
... as they use ship's energy and drain your energy banks down to 1 bar when fired. But the more energy you have and "donate" to them, the more damage or chance of effect they do.
Sounds good. Are they close to completion?
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Buzz bomb, bug bomb and uni bomb are done. The stun bomb is almost finished, just got to iron out a quirk in the AI.

Then if there's no more inspiration, I'll make a WIP available for input.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Thargoid wrote:
I know what you mean, but technically a seismic charge (as in the real thing) is just an explosive charge, and therefore 3D.
…and an explosive charge in space, by itself, has absolutely no value as a weapon because there’s nothing for a shockwave to propagate through.
Poro
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Poro »

Ahruman wrote:
…and an explosive charge in space, by itself, has absolutely no value as a weapon because there’s nothing for a shockwave to propagate through.
I'm aware of that (I assume most people on this forum have this site bookmarked ;) ), I think I shouldn't have referenced the seismic charge from Star Wars, since it sounds like that is what I was calling my idea.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

OK, as promised, a few musings on what could be done with bombs, either in parallel to or in place of the E-bomb. All are pylon-mounts due to triggering limitations, but I think they are more balanced than the E-bomb.

Let me know what you think. After feedback and fine-tuning I'll release it as a full OXP (possibly adding in some of the weaponry from my other OXPs as a quasi-meta one).

Download Armoury OXP beta test version here