Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

[WIP] GalCop Missions

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [WIP] GalCop Missions

Post by Nite Owl »

Attempted an "Eliminate the Pirate Base" Mission but could not locate the base on "the other side of the planet from the Witchpoint". Searched about for a bit but no luck. Checked the Latest Log and found the following:

Code: Select all

11:58:19.448 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (GalCopBB_PirateBases 0.3.1): TypeError: worldScripts.GalCopBBMissions_PirateBases is undefined
Guessing that the Populator portion of the galcopbb_piratebases.js has an error somewhere. Beyond me to try and find it though so it is left in your more than capable hands.

One other suggestion. The "find this or that" missions that take place within the originating system can sometimes be picked up at stations orbiting planets other than the Main Planet (Additional Planets SR Base, Stations for Extra Planets, Super Hubs for Extra Planets). The phrasing "the other side of the planet from the Witchpoint" could be a bit confusing in these cases. Which planet is being referred to if you pick up the mission at a station orbiting a planet other than the Main Planet? Veterans may be able to figure out that such things always refer to the Main Planet but new players may not. Perhaps ""the other side of the main planet from the Witchpoint" would be a better phrase to use. Better yet, would it be possible to name the specific planet being referenced? Something along the lines of "the other side of <planet_name> from the Witchpoint". Hmmm... This might even open up the possibility of having these type of missions involve planets other than the Main Planet provided the proper OXP(Z)'s where installed. Coding nightmare but a possibility none the less. Thank You in Advance for your Time and Effort on Our Behalf.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet

Brevity is the soul of wit and vulgarity is wit's downfall

Good Night and Good Luck - Read You Soon
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Nite Owl wrote:
Guessing that the Populator portion of the galcopbb_piratebases.js has an error somewhere.
Yes it does. But it wasn't me! I wouldn't have made such an egregious and JS-breaking bug! It was... someone else...
OK, it was me.
Nite Owl wrote:
The phrasing "the other side of the planet from the Witchpoint" could be a bit confusing in these cases.
That is a bit misleading, isn't it.

OK, both issues should be fixed in the next release, which I should be able to release later today, should everything go smoothly and I can stop putting "should" into sentences.
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

Should have included this in the previous post but my memory is not what it should be these days. The "Collect Thargoid Wreckage" mission also has a problem. It fails to count any wreckage that you pick up while in Interstellar Space. Nothing in the Latest Log on this one. Just remember taking this one on and when back at the station the mission was still listed as incomplete despite my frantic scooping efforts. Pretty sure the required number of items where scooped as they got ticked off on a piece of paper on pick up. Had several reloaded attempts at this one before resorting to the pencil and paper just to be sure. Thanks Again.

phkb

Post by phkb »

Nite Owl wrote:
The "Collect Thargoid Wreckage" mission also has a problem. It fails to count any wreckage that you pick up while in Interstellar Space.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll check it out.
phkb

Post by phkb »

OK, version 0.3.2 is now available. In this version:
  • Fixed incorrect worldScript name references in Pirate Bases script.
  • Added extra qualification to mission destination texts that refer to main planet, to help distinguish the main planet from any additional planets.
  • Tweaked one investigation mission to limit its availability to more experienced players with an upgraded ship.
  • Fixed issue with the Thargoid wreckage mission (13) which wasn't recognising wreckage collected in interstellar space.
  • Removed debug log messages.
ddeo
Above Average
Above Average

Post by ddeo »

Hi. I have problem with using The Comms Relay Beacon Switch equipment: I got into correct system, but when I activate item I do not see anything both on my radar or compass.

After activation item says "re-activated" or "already activated", so seems like everything should work fine. Am I missing something, where the signal is supposed to show up?
phkb

Post by phkb »

ddeo wrote:
I got into correct system, but when I activate item I do not see anything both on my radar or compass.
The beacon will only ever show on your space compass.
ddeo wrote:
After activation item says "re-activated" or "already activated", so seems like everything should work fine. Am I missing something, where the signal is supposed to show up?
If your received the message "Communication relay beacon re-activated", then the comms relay beacon and the switch equipment are working correctly. You then need to cycle your space compass destination until you see "Communications Relay". Are you not seeing a "Communications Relay" appearing as one of the destinations on your space compass?
ddeo
Above Average
Above Average

Post by ddeo »

phkb wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:12 pm
Are you not seeing a "Communications Relay" appearing as one of the destinations on your space compass?
This was the case, but my problem was that I did not bought ASC. Never used this item before, now I see how much I missed. :) I see now "Communications Relay" on the space compass. Thanks!
phkb

Post by phkb »

Looks like there might be a bug anyway. You shouldn’t have been able to accept the mission without the ASC. Thanks for reporting back.
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

Investigate Unknown Beacon Missions with Cargo Pods as the final objective do not seem to be working. Mr. Latest Log comes up with the following rather non descriptive message.

[GalCopBB_Investigations]: !!ERROR: cargo pods not spawned 
Yes... It is obvious that they did not spawn as the beacon could not be found. That is why you are being read Mr. Latest Log to give a clue as to why they did not spawn. Perhaps Mr. Latest Log was just turned off by the thought of spawning Cargo Pods leading to infant Cargo Pods. Despite my sad attempts at Humor you will probably track this bug down with your usual expertise. As always Thank You for your time and effort.

phkb

Post by phkb »

I’ll have a word with Mr Latest.Log and see if he can provide a little more illumination. Thanks for the report again.
phkb

Post by phkb »

New version 0.3.3 is now available, which adds some protection in the event that cargo pods are not spawned with a preferred cargo pod type. They will instead be spawned with the default cargo pod type, which will hopefully avoid the issue of them not being spawned at all.

Thanks again for the bug report.
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

Meet and Greet mission in the Erlaza System accepted at Onrira Main Station. Onrira is at Tech Level 14 with Torus Stations OXZ installed so that the Main Station there is a large Torus Trade Center. Finished the Meet and Greet in the Erlaza System which lead to a Secondary Mission to deliver a Data Package at Ararus. First part turned in with no problems as it was a "at any equivalent station" type of completion. Delivered the Secondary Mission Data Package at Ararus and the completion requirement was to turn in the mission "at the Main Station in Onrira". Returned to the Main Torus Trade Center Station at Onrira but cannot turn in the mission. Every time the "Complete Mission" option is selected and entered on the Bulletin Board screen nothing happens. The mission does not complete and no payment is forth coming. Thought it might have something to do with the Torus Station so removed that OXZ and reloaded the save but got the same result. The following appeared in The Latest Log:

[script.javaScript.exception.notDefined]: ***** JavaScript exception (BulletinBoardSystem 1.7): ReferenceError: sbm is not defined
Was not sure which thread to post this in but you are the author of both of these OXZ's so it probably does not matter.

One other Bulletin Board OXZ note. For some reason when the "display Taxi Galactica contracts" option in Library is set to True it does not remain set to True between jumps and saves. It always reverts back to False. Passenger Contracts still show up on the Contracts Screen but those that do show up have no indication of being tied into the Taxi Galactica OXZ. They are, most likely, standard Passenger Contracts as generated by the game itself and not by the Taxi Galactica OXZ.

Good Luck Commodore. Thanks Again for the Time and Effort.

phkb

Post by phkb »

Thanks, Nite Owl. New version of GalCop Missions is now up (0.3.4) which should fix those errors.
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

Unknown Beacon Missions that result in you having to deliver a message to the family of a now deceased Commander whose escape pod you found has a bug. On the general missions screen via F4 and the resulting detailed contract info screen it shows you the correct system that you must deliver the message to. On the F5-F5 screen it tells you that the message must be delivered to the system that you found the escape pod in. A bit confusing. If you only go by the F5-F5 screen it can leave you wondering why the mission does not complete. Worse yet it may lead to jumps in the wrong direction in an attempt to complete the mission if you do not go deeper into the F4 mission and contracts screens.

As ever, Good Luck with this one Commodore and Many Thanks for the Efforts.

Your humble bug reporter.