Reporting spam

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

I found this one very suspicious.

But after reading his other posts, probably he is just a little, errmmm..., strange? :oops:
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

:lol:
I think you're getting a false positive there. Commander! Besides, the name and the posts are way too relevant to be a spammer.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Perhaps I'm over-sensitive, but I also have doubts about this post, and therefore the guy belonging to it: https://bb.oolite.space/profile.php?mode ... ile&u=2565

My question: Why would someone register with the Oolite forum and then post a question/comment which isn't related to Oolite in any way as a first "hello"?

My apologies, though, if he/she is legit.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Commander McLane wrote:
Perhaps I'm over-sensitive, but I also have doubts about this post, and therefore the guy belonging to it: https://bb.oolite.space/profile.php?mode ... ile&u=2565

My question: Why would someone register with the Oolite forum and then post a question/comment which isn't related to Oolite in any way as a first "hello"?

Beat ya to it.. I mentioned this one a few posts back..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Yup ... https://bb.oolite.space/profile.php?mode ... ile&u=2565 is a wrong 'un, no error. Seems to be a new breed: put up a semi-random but innocuous post, apparently with the intent of editing it later to include the spam.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Diziet Sma wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:

Beat ya to it.. I mentioned this one a few posts back..
Do:h! :x And I even quoted you on that! :oops:

Apparently it's better to link to the spammers without tags, so that the member number is visible in plain sight.

Or this old spam assassin needs new glasses, or something like that...
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Commander McLane wrote:
Apparently it's better to link to the spammers without tags, so that the member number is visible in plain sight.
Good point.. will do.. 8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Just a thought.. Is it worth making it very clear on the signup page that the board has a number of eagle-eyed Spammer Assassins (and lots of willing assistants) that will put any spammer out of business very quickly, so they may as well not bother, if that is their intent?
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Just a thought.. Is it worth making it very clear on the signup page that the board has a number of eagle-eyed Spammer Assassins (and lots of willing assistants) that will put any spammer out of business very quickly, so they may as well not bother, if that is their intent?
No.

Edit: No it isnt worth it, spammers are not likely to spend time reading such text, nor believe it, nor in fact care too much. They are also not especially likely to be real people, they are more likely to be bots which will take no notice.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Who would have thought that spambots would be the first ones ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_Test

... but then, it does make sense in retrospect: Lots of variation, short generation cycles and harsh selection make for fast evolutionary processes. And that with the selector being not to be recognised as, well, non-human too fast.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

To be fair, the Turing Test doesnt really apply to bots, as they mostly paste in pre-written text.

In addition, it might be fair to claim that many human forum users (not here in fact, but on many internet sites) are doing their bit to lower the bar by failing to observe normal human behavior, and grammar, making a one-off post much harder to detect.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Cmdr James wrote:
In addition, it might be fair to claim that many human forum users (not here in fact, but on many internet sites) are doing their bit to lower the bar by failing to observe normal human behavior, and grammar, making a one-off post much harder to detect.
People not passing the Turing Test themselves :lol:

:shock:

:?

Sadly, I think you are spot-on.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

@Cmdr James:

:lol:

@Admins of the forums:

Why not automatically delete all accounts that have a posting count of 0, and are still at 0 say, three months later?
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: .

Post by Rxke »

Lestradae wrote:
@Admins of the forums:

Why not automatically delete all accounts that have a posting count of 0, and are still at 0 say, three months later?
Some of these people are legit lurkers. I's easier when you can log in to see/follow where new posts are being made, you can subscribe to threads et.c.

If they don't spam, they're doing nothing wrong.