Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

GRS buoyRepair.oxp

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Svengali
Commander
Commander

Re: ...

Post by Svengali »

Lestradae wrote:
A demo video! This gets ever better :D
Right Lestradae, a video is sometimes not so bad to show a little bit more than a pic :-) It even demontrates some of Eric's cool scripting. Another aspect is that it is made without Video-Editing-Software or Flash and for such a small filesize with a very high quality. The only thing I'm a little bit worrying about is the used codec. Not totally sure that it is shown properly on all systems, but we'll see.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: ...

Post by Eric Walch »

Svengali wrote:
Not totally sure that it is shown properly on all systems, but we'll see.
I used safari 3.0 to look at it. I have no other players installed other than the default mac ones. It showed okay with it.
gogz69
Deadly
Deadly

Post by gogz69 »

:shock:
8)
I'm using a mid range spec at this end if that's any help to you.
BTW, good job WELL DONE GENTS!! :D
Nice soundtrack too 8)
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

gogz69 wrote:
:shock:
8)
I'm using a mid range spec at this end if that's any help to you.
BTW, good job WELL DONE GENTS!! :D
Nice soundtrack too 8)
Thanks gogz69, it helps.
And finding the right soundtrack was quite difficult. The track was a while ago available on www.vebfilm.net under CC-by-nc-sa. Simply forgot to drop a note (thanks for this reminder) and now I've fullfilled the -by- part .-)
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Good video.
Also suitable for Youtube.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

wow! that was very impressive! brilliant work there guys! I thought the lights coming on to guide the ships in was brilliant, and am i right in thinking that at one point a ship reversed out of the docking tunnel? very cool! i can't begin to imagine how complex your scripts & shader code is, amazing stuff!
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Griff wrote:
I thought the lights coming on to guide the ships in was brilliant, and am i right in thinking that at one point a ship reversed out of the docking tunnel?
I think you are to blame for the idea of docking this way. Somehow it was already in the back of my mind but I pushed it away as to difficult. When you mentioned it I thought: lets give it a serious try, and docking wasn't that hard after all.

Yes, when you dock, you have to go out sometime. I once turned a ship in the dock by mistake. It worked but looked awful when it turned through the mesh. Just reversing the ships looks best. (giving the docks a reversed magnetic field, activated by the shaders, will slowly will push the ships back out of the dock)
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

@Griff - Take a look in the used shaders - I think you will be surprised. They are totally simple and for sure not so complex as your cool shaders (Griff-Kraits, Griff-Boa, Trade-Outpost), but they are doing their job. I've overhauled them two or three times to make them even more simple and I have some more ideas, but to do it I need some background.
BTW: Nice new title. Congrats Griff :-)

@pagroove - YouTube, hmmm. I'm not familiar with it (uploading, format, etc.). The video is swf (Shockwave Flash) with a master and a lot of slaves, 384px x 288px running on 30fps. Sound is mp3, 128kbps, stereo. The overall length of the video is 00:06:05.033, filesize 6,04 MB (6.336.185 Bytes), compressed with Zlib (Ratio 22%).

So if anybody wants to put it on YT, sure, do it! And I also would like to see a new 'Griff-has-made-some-veeery-cool-tweaks' and some of the retexture (planets, moons, ships) oxps videos too!!! Oolite rocks!
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Update report to our shareholders from GRS headquarters.:!:

Since date 1.72.1 the commies are striking back. We already had many reports of missing N-buoys in non communist systems. However in communist systems the N-buoys were always there. Its a clear hint the commies are behind this all. GalCop in informed. Meanwhile we have ordered our factories to increase buoy production to its max.

Since date 1.72.1 there were also many reports of stolen billboards at witchpoints. We have already have a big order to replace those billboards at will with our w-buoys.

For this year we think there will be a big bonus for all GRS shareholders and may 1.72.2 stay away for a while. :D
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Eric Walch wrote:
For this year we think there will be a big bonus for all GRS shareholders and may 1.72.2 stay away for a while. :D
It seems that this bonus won't be as big as you might expect, for as long as the pilots are unable to get access to the comm device (aka wiki) that is necessary to contact you about those missing buoys...

Screet, thinking that Murphy has done an impressive show concerning the timing of those wiki-troubles...
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Screet wrote:
Screet, thinking that Murphy has done an impressive show concerning the timing of those wiki-troubles...
Seems to be the brother of General Failure...
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Eric Walch wrote:
Since date 1.72.1 there were also many reports of stolen billboards at witchpoints. We have already have a big order to replace those billboards at will with our w-buoys.

...and the GRS even charges multiple times for a single W-buoy replacement, as they replace the freshly replaced buoy, too!

I noticed that fact while doing some Random Hit missions...had to travel from N to W and found that the recently replaced W got replaced again. One can see that when waiting at the replaced buoy, but the compass makes it easy to notice from a distance, as it jumps away from W but has W again in the list instantly.

Screet
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Screet wrote:
...and the GRS even charges multiple times for a single W-buoy replacement, as they replace the freshly replaced buoy, too!
Why shouldn't we do this if GalCoop pays for it? I would call it 'business' .-)

BTW: I've never seen this, maybe it is very rare?
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Svengali wrote:
Screet wrote:
Why shouldn't we do this if GalCoop pays for it? I would call it 'business' .-)

BTW: I've never seen this, maybe it is very rare?
Maybe you didn't notice because you did neither stay there after the first replacement nor fly towards "w" while it was replaced - or your workers never told you that the replacement hasn't been destroyed as they get extra payment for the second one? ;) However, yeah, why not charge GalCoop, for as long as they don't claim taxes from me to pay you :twisted:

Hmmm. Could it be it's another thing that has to do with QuadCore systems, like that texture thing? If you start from the station, heading towards "W" as soon as it's there, during your flight, the compass should go for a different target, but "W" is back in the list as soon as you cycle around...that's an easy way to tell if it also happens on your system. Otherwise, just stay at the missing "W" as soon as you made your jump and wait what happens...but that could be boring. I've even seen a GRS ship heading back from there with a buoy, which I guess has something to do with that.

Screet
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Eric Walch wrote:
...and having this thread re-activated reminded me that something else changed in my ooniverse - the w-buoys are not missing anymore, as they were before.

I do NOT know what caused them to be missing, nor could I tell since when they are not stolen anymore. I haven't disabled oxp's in the recent days, only did add a little bit. Before, the problem was always there, and pretty annoying, as it's difficult to do random hits without those things.

I instantly thought it might have been the single-core assignment, but I just verified that this is also not the cause of them missing or being back.

My recent additions are:

griff_ships_remixed
cargo_wrecks_teaser
att1
Aquatics 1.03
UPS-courier v1.5.0
RandomHits275 (replacing the previous version)
SecondWave 1.1 (replacing the previous version)
interstellar_help

I did not take anything out...maybe if some people still miss them (or recently got them back) we can figure this out somehow?

Could also be that it depends upon the galaxy as I went to G6 a few days ago.

However, I had several Rock Hermits missing in the past days - their buoys were there, but not their asteroids! Do they steal bigger stuff now?

Screet