(WIP) Elite Trader

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: (WIP) Elite Trader

Post by Cholmondely »

Finally got around to trying this one out. At the beginning it seemed confusing - that was purely because I used an old version downloaded a month before the final one.

When I downloaded the current one, goodness! Yet another major gaming variant!

Positive Comments:
1) The messages from the Guild are fun.
2) The interface with the F4 page is nicely done - especially after selecting a commodity on the F8 screen
3) What fun whizzing around everywhere on torus. Totally obviates the need for combat!

Other comments:
*There seem to be guild technicians in every single shipyard in the Eight (rock hermits, liners etc)! Is this really probable?
*Unsure about the point to resetting the best deal (F4: Best Trade Resetter). Is this meaningful in any way?
*When are the guild dues actually taken? I often arrive with an empty wallet and leave with an empty wallet, but seem to have paid a guild tithe!
*Would it be worth while noting on the (F4) Master Advisory screen that one may need to turn weapon systems both on and off to enjoy the mass-lock free whizz?
*I'll be interested to see how this oxp works with Illegal Goods Tweak! Are the freed slaves counted as a loss (which they are) or does one get acclaimed for rescuing them?

*Why the green box around Atriso at the bottom of the screen?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
NorthenderPNE
Deadly
Deadly

Post by NorthenderPNE »

Don't know if this mod gets updated or not but thought I'd post the issue anyway, it's a year or so since the last update. Anyway I'm using this mod but it seems a little odd, so I'm assuming it's a small bug that my best trade would show an infinite amount of goods scrolling off the screen. You can reset it in the menu which I did shortly after the screen grab.

As always regardless of a fix or not I appreciate your time making it.

Regards, The Englishman :wink:
Reval
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: At home in the Xexedi Cluster, driving an FE Asp II, Laenina's Flux.

Post by Reval »

NorthenderPNE wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:51 pm
Don't know if this mod gets updated or not but thought I'd post the issue anyway, it's a year or so since the last update. Anyway I'm using this mod but it seems a little odd, so I'm assuming it's a small bug that my best trade would show an infinite amount of goods scrolling off the screen. You can reset it in the menu which I did shortly after the screen grab.

As always regardless of a fix or not I appreciate your time making it.

Regards, The Englishman :wink:

Apologies for this late--and quite probably unhelpful--response: I've been absent from the Oolite universe for well over a year, and now only just considering getting back into things again...

I'm afraid I've never encountered the bug you reported, and this game extension has gone through wildly extensive testing (I, for one, never travel the Spaceways without it enabled). But I shall certainly be looking into it in the future, and hopefully sometime be posting an update to Elite Trader.
Dor 'call me Grocer' Reval (a Xexedian Laver) was always considered a little backward.
Reval
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Reval »

Guild Greetings to Cholmondely the Craven of Digebiti!

Thanks so much for taking the time to give ET a test run, and for your positive feedback. Your inimitable comments always appreciated :D

I've been missing Oolite after nearly two years absent from the Spaceways... Now I hope, little by little, to get back there and perhaps continue work on some OXPs. I know there are bugs/'features' still outstanding in most of mine.
Cholmondely wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:56 pm
Other comments:
*There seem to be guild technicians in every single shipyard in the Eight (rock hermits, liners etc)! Is this really probable?
Oops -- this truly was a major oversight. However, it shouldn't be too hard to fix with a conditional statement or two in the code. Thanks for bringing it up!
*Unsure about the point to resetting the best deal (F4: Best Trade Resetter). Is this meaningful in any way?
If you purchase a new ship and want to watch how your trades grow anew in that vehicle, this is a must. Also for the saved ET, this will permanently update Elite Trader with the name and type of a newly purchased ship. So it is always a good idea to use the reset feature after any ship exchange or name change.

*When are the guild dues actually taken? I often arrive with an empty wallet and leave with an empty wallet, but seem to have paid a guild tithe!
The Guild 'donation' percentage is applied once per system as soon as the GUI screen is changed (away from the Market screen after trading).
*Would it be worth while noting on the (F4) Master Advisory screen that one may need to turn weapon systems both on and off to enjoy the mass-lock free whizz?
This is a good suggestion (free space on that page permitting, could try to fit it in).
*I'll be interested to see how this oxp works with Illegal Goods Tweak! Are the freed slaves counted as a loss (which they are) or does one get acclaimed for rescuing them?
In the Guild, ALL is accounted profit, even ethically shady trades!

I confess I haven't tried Illegal Goods OXP with ET. It may well introduce some conflicts, so your further feedback using it will be welcomed.
*Why the green box around Atriso at the bottom of the screen?
I think you must be referring to the GETter HUD, not ET per se (or perhaps it's from some other enhancement you have installed?) I've never noticed this 'stuck' on Atriso--normally, it's the currently targetted station/star in that position. I'll do some more tests on the HUD soon.

Your Guild Brother and Sponsor wishes you none but auspicious trades,
[insert superlatives] 'Grocer' Reval of Xexedi
Dor 'call me Grocer' Reval (a Xexedian Laver) was always considered a little backward.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Reval wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:10 am
Your inimitable comments always appreciated :D
Inimitability strikes again!
Svengali (RIP) built a "PAD" (Personal Assistance Device) into his Library OXP.

It has a section for "Guilds". At the moment, as far as I can ascertain, only Galactic Navy has been tied in with it (and in the GalCop category).
Given the timing of things, I would guess that the relevant coding for the Galactic Navy is all inside the Library OXP (and there are a lot of juicy resources tucked away in there too, if you break it open and peer inside)!
Categories
The categories in Lib_PAD are the first component of all dotted paths. Pages in a category share a template which defines the layout of the page.

GALCOP
Category for GalCop, Police, Navy and other official organisations related to GalCop.
Contains entries: name, entry, enlisted, kills, missions, awards, info.

GUILDS
Category for other organisations which do have a membership.
Contains entries: name, entry, enlisted, kills, missions, awards, info.

INFOS
Category for special events, news, specific stations, etc.
Contains entries: name, location, beacon, purpose, special, notes.

LOGS
Category for standard events like rescued escape pods, bailed out, fined, etc.

PERSONS
Category for characters you have met or you got infos about.
Contains entries: name, origin, species, gender, age, rank, ship, info, notes.
Players name, origin, species, gender, age, rank and ship are set by Lib_PAD.

SYSTEMS
Category for special systems like Leesti, Tianve, Tionisla, etc.
Contains entries: name, info, notes.

References:
Library OXP
Library PAD
Category:OXPDoc - collection of pages for scripting for Svengali's OXP's (Library OXP, BGS, CCL & GNN)

(By the way, Cabal Common Library, CCL, was the precursor to Library OXP and there may also be relevant instructions in the CCL wiki pages)

Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Reval
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Reval »

Interesting! - thanks for drawing my attention to this. Might be just the thing, what with TM forcing the Guild (long hidden from public sight) to adopt a slightly more visible and friendly image. I will certainly consider adding G.E.T.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Reval wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:07 pm
Interesting! - thanks for drawing my attention to this. Might be just the thing, what with TM forcing the Guild (long hidden from public sight) to adopt a slightly more visible and friendly image. I will certainly consider adding G.E.T.
Great! If you can manage it, then others can see how you did it and copy you!

Here are some choice bits as an example (script.js)

Code: Select all

this.startUpComplete = function() {
    worldScripts.Lib_PAD._addPageInCategory("SYSTEMS.Digebiti G1", {name:"Digebiti G1", info:[
	    "The sculpture and duelling pistols are famed exports",
	    "Home to English aristocrats, Hats are de rigeur",
	    "The feudal paradise of Digebiti is just south of GalCenter G1",
	    "My home planet"]})
    worldScripts.Lib_PAD._addPageInCategory("PERSONS.Prince-Elector Rupert XIX", {name: "Prince-Elector Rupert XIX", origin:"Digebiti G1",species:"Human colonial",gender:"Male",age:31,ship:"Royal Barque: HSHS Falkland",rank:"Prince-Elector",info:[
	    "He is worried about the communist agents of Inonri & Vetitice",
	    "This led to Rupert's eschewal of Tennis for Extreme Dominoes",
	    "He succeeded after his brother Desmond died playing Real Tennis",
	    "The Supreme Ruler of Digebiti (in Lesser Walsingham)"],
	    t0:"lib_pad_rank9.png",t1:"lib_ovc02.png",t2:"lib_pad_medal14.png"})
}
Comments wanted:
Reval
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Reval »

Thanks! We shall doubtless get onto it in due time, Brother.

Scripting, wiki work, and testing is rather intense at this juncture, taking up all spare moments (of which there seem to be fewer and fewer each year that passes).

Elite Trader version 1.18 will be released next week.

In spite of the addition of a new F4 page 'Gift to Guild' (which speeds advancement in Grade), progression to the Elevated and Exalted Grades (10-22) has been made more arduous.

And owing to a ballooning volume of Guild applications (blame TM!), fitting of anti-masslock 'black box' devices is reserved for Probationary Grade 1 and above ('Strict' mode being now the default). Passage through the Grocer level (Grade 0) to Entered Apprentice (Grade 1) thus becomes a little rougher. No reason to stay in the Lane though...

In preparation for Lave embarcation, all initiate Brothers and greener Grocer acolytes are invited to glance through the Elite Trader Wiki page under Overview: the Fat and the Skinny, and Milk or Cream? - Buber's Beats. And of course, those Guilders who were unaware of its existence are encouraged to read through from start to finish. It is the primary documentation for Elite Trader.

Trade Well!

D.R. of X.
Reval
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Reval »

Elite Trader, version 1.18

Now in the Manager and on the Wiki.

More info HERE.

NEW IN VERSION 1.18:
  • In spite of the addition of the new F4 page 'Gift to Guild' (which speeds advancement in Grade), progression to the Elevated and Exalted Grades (10-22) has been made more arduous.
  • Donations are no longer limited to one per system: they are cumulative within the system.
  • "Buber's Beats" Milk Run guide for inductees on the F4 Interfaces screen.
  • 'Milk or Cream? - Buber's Beats' - a comprehensive Wiki section with solid guidance, a truncated version of which appears in-game.
  • Owing to a ballooning volume of Guild applications (blame TM!), the 'black box' anti-Masslock device is now reserved for Probationary Grade 1 and above. The result: a rougher ride for Grocers, but this should be mercifully brief if they follow Buber's 'beats' and her/his/its/their (really must invent a new pronoun) Lave advice.
  • Buying and selling from and to multiple stations insystem is facilitated.
  • More data now appears on the G.E.T. F5F5 Mission screen.
  • Gifts and Last Trade (with Star, Station, and Goods) added to F5F5 Mission screen.
  • Since space allows it, a station's secondary legal commodity is now listed by the F4 Master Advisory along with the primary, for all stations insystem, along with its price and volume.
  • Much revision of the F4 Interfaces texts.
  • More immersive comms messages geared to Grocers.
  • Witchpoint Trade Advisory messages made more succinct.
  • A slight re-ordering and renaming of the G.E.T. Grades.
1.19 will doubtless be a bug-fix version: not that I've found any in two weeks of testing, but it's a long, slow climb up those Grades... (just as in the 'meta-reality' of E.T.)

Trade well!

D.R. of X.
Reval
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Reval »

Oh, and 1.19 will add the Brother's 'net worth' after his/her/its/their 'ethical status'.

That should have been part of 1.18, but coding it in slipped my mind! Sorry.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Reval wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:25 am
Oh, and 1.19 will add the Brother's 'net worth' after his/her/its/their 'ethical status'.
Reval, what do you mean by "ethical status"? Is it something which could be slipped in to a "Church of Giles the Creator" .oxp? And, by the way, thanks for doing a bit of copyediting on the wiki!
Comments wanted:
Reval
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Reval »

You're most welcome, I'm sure I'll be doing a bit more if I come across anything egregious or offensive to grammatical sensibilities ;) I enjoy Wiki work almost as much as I enjoy scripting and playing!

What I meant by the Brother's 'ethical status' is whether he is classed by E.T. as Good, Bad, or Reformed: the first entry on the F5F5 Manifest page under "G.E.T. Status", IOW.

BTW, I'm planning something quite entertaining for 1.19 - to wit, a game of dice with the station Guild Master, complete with witty and superior one-sided dialogue. I'll see what comes of it - whether it's feasible in Oolite JS - and perhaps PM you an example when it's done. It sarcastically references SPACE Magazine's "revelations" on Guild activity and practices...

1.19 will also offer the option of taking out a G.E.T. loan (for ships, equipment etc), repayed with a criminal percentage of the Brother's station profit.
Reval
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Reval »

[PREVIEW] Elite Trader 1.19a

• G.E.T. owns to a new sensitivity to their Guilders' species-gender - you can be addressed now as "Sister", "Brother", "Sibling" (bi-, tri- or null-sexed persons), or just 'Guilder' (the default).
  • As well as speedier Grade advancement, your Gifts to the Guild bring with them 3-point ship enhancements.
  • Practical console advisories onstation for Grocers who have not yet made 4 runs.
  • G.E.T. begins to take account of time...
  • Time spent as a Good Guilder is recorded on your F5F5 Manifest in Lave days (and Lave years).
  • System-to-System Runs as a Good Guilder are numerically displayed on the F5F5 Manifest.
  • Main Station no longer mass-locks your ship on approach (so please take care you don't slam into it!) (Grade 1 and above)

To download the 1.19a Preview and see screenshots and further notes, please go to the main E.T. Manual at the Wiki.

(Currently testing in Oolite 1.90 and Oolite 1.91 Dev - no issues found to date with the above changes).

Just unzip the OXP to your Oolite->AddOns folder. It may be necessary to uninstall version 1.18 first.

Please note: this is a development version of E.T. and there may be bugs or glitches. I'd be grateful if you would report any serious ones you find hereunder.

Trade Well!
D.R. of X.
Reval
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Reval »

[PREVIEW] Elite Trader 1.19b

• G.E.T. will pay to all Guilders except Grocers a regular and periodic Bonus. Guild bonuses are in gratitude for service, devotion, and fortitude. They are time-, Grade-, and performance-dependant: the higher you are in Grade and the more credits you have banked, the larger will be your Bonus when it comes.
  • Total Bonuses paid by G.E.T. (and their number) are displayed on the F5F5 Manifest.
  • G.E.T. owns to a new sensitivity to their Guilders' species-gender - you can be addressed now as "Sister", "Brother", "Sibling" (bi-, tri- or null-sexed persons), or just 'Guilder' (the default).
  • As well as speedier Grade advancement, your Gifts to the Guild bring with them 3-point ship enhancements.
  • Practical console advisories onstation for Grocers who have not yet made 4 runs.
  • Time spent as a Good Guilder is recorded on your F5F5 Manifest in Lave days (and Lave years).
  • System-to-System Runs as a Good Guilder are numerically displayed on the F5F5 Manifest.
  • Main Station no longer mass-locks your ship on approach (so please take care you don't slam into it!) (Grade 1 and above)

To download the 1.19b Preview and see screenshots and further notes, please go to the main E.T. Manual at the Wiki.

Pic shows the last - and first - massive bonus paid to the Grocer after sufficient 'time served'.

(Currently testing in Oolite 1.90 and Oolite 1.91 Dev - no issues found to date with the above changes).

Just unzip the OXP to your Oolite->AddOns folder. It may be necessary to uninstall version 1.18 and/or delete the 1.19a Preview OXP first.

Please note: this is a development version of E.T. and there may be bugs or glitches. I'd be grateful if you would report any serious ones you find hereunder.

Trade Well!
D.R. of X.
Reval
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Reval »

[PREVIEW] Elite Trader 1.19c

The 'c', in this case, is for Chivalry and... other things.
  • The Guild accounts as a gift the rescuing of any escape pod, be its occupant of the innocent or the guilty. Saving the helplessly adrift will gain a Guilder not only merit, but also, as befits a gift of this nature, a 5-point ship enhancement plus a real Gift to the Guild of 1000 credits to further Grade advancement. This of course on top of any bounty that Galcop deems you worthy of.
  • "Cloaking technology" - that 'Galcop advance' much rumoured and whispered about - was, in fact, long ago an invention of the Guild. They called their device the Hull Shroud. Needless to say, you, as a Guilder, can have it - at a price. Seek it at Stations with a high technological index.
  • The Constrictor II - FE Shipyards' 'black project' - is no longer the restricted perk only of Grand Masters. You, as a lowly Master will now find it available, if you look hard. And it's not at all expensive! [nominal specs: thrust = 26; speed = 350; pylons = 4; capacity = 80 TC. Please note: this exclusive ET ship is designed for parity with FE Ships, not vanilla Oolite ships.]
  • G.E.T. will pay to all Guilders except Grocers a regular and periodic Bonus. Guild bonuses are in gratitude for service, devotion, and fortitude. They are time-, Grade-, and performance-dependant: the higher you are in Grade and the more credits you have banked, the larger will be your Bonus when it comes.
  • Total Bonuses paid by G.E.T. (and their number) are displayed on the F5F5 Manifest.

To download the 1.19c Preview and see screenshots and further notes, please go to the main E.T. Manual at the Wiki.

Picture: The Constrictor (in Griff's colours), from which ET's Constrictor II is an evolution. The two are almost identical in appearance, but very different in performance and capacity.

Just unzip the OXP to your Oolite->AddOns folder. It may be necessary to uninstall version 1.18 and/or delete the 1.19b Preview OXP first.

Trade Well!
D.R. of X.