Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Eagle transporter [Release] and Mulga MkII[WIP]

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: Eagle transporter [WIP] and Mulga MkII

Post by Smivs »

Ha, don't talk to me about scaly finishes!

It's certainly not subtle, but that is sometimes good. And there is plenty of prior art - this Trans-Am being a nice (if OTT) example. :D

Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

spud42 wrote:
what do you think? too much? might work if the pattern was smaller? or just a really bad idea?
Fine pattern details like this are only ever going to be seen, in-game, in the gallery. Which is fine, if that's what you want, but for 99% of actual encounters, it'll just look brown. Big, bold, and high-contrast patterns work best, I think: I'd say make the pattern much, much bigger!
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

bigger? not a problem... ha ha

took me 2 nights to figure out how to texture a model in wings! thats after the design flaw was spotted and fixed...

its not actually a Mulga snake skin but i only did a quick google for snakeskin .....and it is a brown snake after all...will try different size patterns and see how it looks. might not go for a snake skin after all.. you would not really see it in the actual game most of the time as Disembodied said. but hey someone was talking about a tartan ship!
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

I like the look.. as to reducing the pattern size, I think I'd have to see it to be able to compare.

An actual mulga snake pattern probably wouldn't stand out as well, even though they look quite nice. There's a lot of variation, of course, but here's a good example:

Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
SteveKing
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SteveKing »

Looking at the picture that Diz posted, if you can get that red-yellow colour and colour proportion of a Mulga snake scale onto a scaley plate texture similar in size to Smiv's basic Moray rework, then it could look quite striking... er no pun intended :roll:

Also, so as not to infringe on the Moray's patented look, the scales could be more diamond in shape (as they are on the snake)

Just musing, as you would understand much better than me how much work that involves :D
spud42 wrote:
...but hey someone was talking about a tartan ship
Tartan can be quite blocky and contrasting, just ask the Bay City Rollers... oh, I see... OTT :P
SteveKing
(not quite the author)
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

now i know the scales are backwards but this is just to get an idea if this sort of thing would be better?
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

spud42 wrote:
now i know the scales are backwards but this is just to get an idea if this sort of thing would be better?
I think it would be better.. not thrilled by the colour, but guessing that was just for the sake of a quick'n'dirty test?

If you could match the shape of the mulga's scales though (big job, I know) it would be brilliant.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Way back, my Moray had fishy scales very much like these. See my post here on the Classic Ships thread for a pic and more info.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

6x9 Industries is proud to preview the new Mulga MKII soon to be released to the public.

Final tweaking will now occur after a series of test flights. All comments are welcome, please let us know what you think ?

OR i could go with
or simply
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Nice.. lots of little details there I like, too.. good job, sir! 8)
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

Thanks dizzy, it doesent have the details of the original but it was way too complex to UV unwrap!!

now i need help gentlr folk.

im stuck again at converting this into a .dat file.

I have installed python 2.7.9 , i have the obj2datTexNorm.py script and i have exported from wings as a.obj with a .mtl file.

I have put the script in the folder with the model and when i run the script it gives a windows error of python is not a recognised command.
this is what i typed python obj2datTexNorm.py Mulga.obj

i looked online and it said to add python to the environmebt variables and i did so but it didnt help.
win 7 64 bit..
OR i could go with
or simply
Rorschachhamster
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rorschachhamster »

spud42 wrote:
python obj2datTexNorm.py Mulga.obj
Try this! :wink:
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

Rorschachhamster wrote:
spud42 wrote:
python obj2datTexNorm.py Mulga.obj
Try this! :wink:
cheers, i copied the line directly from the source but now i cant find it . must have been a wiki page i got that from because i searched the forums and couldnt find where i got that... now lets hope that it works for me this time. i couldnt get it to work on the other ship.
OR i could go with
or simply
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

I:\########\Program Files\wings3d_1.5.3\Mulga>obj2datTexNorm.py Mulga.obj
Mulga.obj -> mulga.dat
Material library file: Mulga.mtl
Material Cube1_auv -> Cube1_auv.png
File does not provide texture coordinates! Materials will not be exported.
Done.
ok not sure but i think this isnt going to work........ the error message i got when trying to comvert wings model to dat.
OR i could go with
or simply
Rorschachhamster
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rorschachhamster »

Try to do it again, from externalizing the texture to exporting to .obj in wings. This means, of course, I don't have a clue, but this worked for me more than once... 8) :lol:
Oh, and I would change the textures name into something like mulgatexture.png while externalizing, because of readability and compatibility with other oxps. If every oxp ship had that texture... :wink: