Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

[Release] Market Observer

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

toltesi
Average
Average

Re: [Release] marketObserver 2.2

Post by toltesi »

spara wrote:
toltesi wrote:
I'm a brand new Oolite user (loving it).

I've noticed that this seems incompatible with the amazing NumericHUDv3 which is very disappointing. Removing NumericHUDv3.oxp allows the marketObserver 2.2 to work just fine.

Can these be made to work happily side-by-side?

Please advise; have a great day!
Thanks for the report. New version (2.2.1) is up. It should fix the problem.

* Forced compatibility with switching huds. Added a framecallback, that makes sure that mO's own hud is up, when viewing market screen. Trading Assistant's special hud is excluded from this forcing to maintain conpatibility.
Thanks for the quick fix; appreciate that. It worked perfectly for me!

However I noticed that my min, max and average columns did not line up in the green box area, spilling out of the box on the right. This minor issue was present in 2.2; I forgot to mention it.

I tested to see what the problem was by removing all the OXP's except for MarketObserver 2.2.

I was very surprised that the issue re-appeared instantly when I reinserted mO-Commodity_Markets_1.1.oxp.

Thank-you for reading; have a great day!
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

toltesi wrote:
However I noticed that my min, max and average columns did not line up in the green box area, spilling out of the box on the right. This minor issue was present in 2.2; I forgot to mention it.
Great spot. Thanks for the report. I seem to have broken mO-Commodity Markets compatibility, when I added the percentage column. Version 2.2.2 fixes that. No need to update, if you are not using mO-Commodity Markets.
SevenT

Post by SevenT »

spara wrote:
toltesi wrote:
Great spot. Thanks for the report. I seem to have broken mO-Commodity Markets compatibility, when I added the percentage column. Version 2.2.2 fixes that. No need to update, if you are not using mO-Commodity Markets.
Excellent - thanks for the heads up... I wondered what was going wrong there. I shall re-install the updated version immediately....

Now there is a paradox... can you re-install a new version?

If it's a new version then you are installing it for the first time.... If it's an update then you can "Update" it....

Thank you... I shall "update" my version immediately and then re-install it.... Oh wait.... :oops:

I know I shouldn't ask you specifically, on this thread, but when you clever chaps update your OXPs is there anywhere that us Noobs could go to get a centralised "bulletin" about what we should be updating?

Is that the "Trunk" thing?

For example... somebody put out a "Tandoori Jelly Hot Dog" OXP a few months ago and now somebody else now finds that it clashes with the "Ace Rimmer - Smoke me a kipper - Memorial Station" OXP - how would I find out?

Is there a central repository of knowledge? Somewhere that all these OXP'ers go for a collective dump... of their knowledge on a daily basis?

Do they go for a dump in the trunk every night?

I don't know and I don't understand how this Oolite thing wings along but I find the Wiki can be a little behind the times - at times...

I am confused - and that's more or less my usual state of existence...

Perhaps I should put this query in the "Suggestion Box" - but the last time I put my head above the parapet in that section... it go blasted off.

cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

SevenT wrote:
I know I shouldn't ask you specifically, on this thread, but when you clever chaps update your OXPs is there anywhere that us Noobs could go to get a centralised "bulletin" about what we should be updating?
The [wiki]OXP List[/wiki] has an "Updated" column in the table, and you can sort by that to get the most recently updated OXPs.
SevenT wrote:
For example... somebody put out a "Tandoori Jelly Hot Dog" OXP a few months ago and now somebody else now finds that it clashes with the "Ace Rimmer - Smoke me a kipper - Memorial Station" OXP - how would I find out?
Actual clashes between OXPs are pretty rare. The known ones should be mentioned on the OXP's wiki page if there is one, and/or on the first post in the release thread on this forum.

If you're looking for some sort of formal news service, no, there isn't one. OXPs are produced, announced and released by so many different people in so many different ways that it's not currently practical to make an automated news service. A manual one would be possible, but would require a pretty big time commitment from the people volunteering to run it (so no-one has yet).
SevenT wrote:
Is that the "Trunk" thing?
Trunk is the development code for Oolite which has not yet been formally released, where new features and bug fixes get made and tested before making it in to an official version. It's not got much to do with OXPs.
SevenT

Post by SevenT »

cim wrote:
SevenT wrote:
The [wiki]OXP List[/wiki] has an "Updated" column in the table, and you can sort by that to get the most recently updated OXPs.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fantastic - thanks cim. I now know a lot more than I did before I stuck my neck out and asked some seemingly stupid questions.

Thanks for answering some basic questions (which I'm sure you have been asked a million times before) in such a civilised way. I am not bullcrapping you but I think a lot of us Noobs (both registered and lurking) will be grateful for that information.
toltesi
Average
Average

Re: [Release] marketObserver 2.2.2

Post by toltesi »

It is working great...thanks so much for a great OXP and the lightening-fast fixes!
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

toltesi wrote:
It is working great...thanks so much for a great OXP and the lightening-fast fixes!
Good to hear it's working. Glad you're enjoying it. :D
Bench_Medic
Poor
Poor

Post by Bench_Medic »

Hi there,

Very new user of ooLite but played Elite on the Spectrum and Beeb back in the day. |even purchased an Amiga just to play Elite just before Uni started in 1991. Blew my whole grant but worth it...

Only discovered ooLite yesterday but already loading up on OXPs whilst trading between Inera and Raala.

Have tried various methods of monitoring trades, from pen&paper, to if its above and below avg using marketAide, AI Trading Assistant and my own cut and paste of marketAid background with AI Trading.

Now I found your OXP and it's great. However, I am new to OXP editing and was wondering how do I change to the percentage view?

I found this.$percentageFeat = true; //show percentage difference to the avg price in the script.js but as it is already set to true, I can't see how to turn it on.

Any help, gratefully received.

G
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Hello Bench_Medic and welcome.

Glad you are enjoying marketObserver :D.

If you have mO-Commodity Markets OXP installed, it will override the percentual difference column (the fifth column). Also note that the percentage difference is shown only when visiting the main station. When visiting other stations that column is used for showing the main station prices instead of percentages. Reason for all this is the limited space available combined to the effort of putting as much info on the page as possible. Hope this helps.
Bench_Medic
Poor
Poor

Post by Bench_Medic »

spara, thanks for the welcome and your reply.

I am indeed enjoying the addon.

So, it's a more complex trading model of differing buy and sell prices or display the one price as a percentage.

Shame the lack of screen space prevents both being displayed.

No doubt you thought about a toggle to switch between the Buy and selling price as a figure or a percentage so the lack of space doesn't come into it.

Beyond my skills i'm afraid
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Maybe the text could change colors based on whether it's relatively high or low?
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Bench_Medic wrote:
So, it's a more complex trading model of differing buy and sell prices or display the one price as a percentage.
Yes, it's a trade off.
Bench_Medic wrote:
No doubt you thought about a toggle to switch between the Buy and selling price as a figure or a percentage so the lack of space doesn't come into it.
That is quite hard to accomplish as keyboard events are extremely limited in the market screen. Not worth the effort, I'm afraid.
Switeck wrote:
Maybe the text could change colors based on whether it's relatively high or low?
That would be nice, but this oxp uses a custom hud to position the message_gui and then writes the extra data as a consoleMessage. I don't think it's possible to change color in the middle of a consoleMessage.
Bench_Medic
Poor
Poor

Post by Bench_Medic »

Again, thanks for your reply.

I'm gonna stick to the more complex market model. Makes it more enjoyable for me, so that alone is fab.

Nice integration of the HyperCargo OXP. I stopped using the AI Trading Assistant as it was getting foxed by the thing.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Bench_Medic wrote:
I stopped using the AI Trading Assistant as it was getting foxed by the thing.
Yes, they re not completely compatible. They were compatible at some point (Wildeblood built compatibility into AI Trading Assistant), but then I changed a couple of things and as a result broke some of that compatibility :(.
laxori666
Competent
Competent

Post by laxori666 »

A small bug report here: if I have hypercargo installed, and I hit F5-F5 and then F8 at the main station, I get taken to the trading screen but it is missing some info: Image