Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Tales from the spacelanes...

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Re: Tales from the spacelanes...

Post by Fatleaf »

I have bad news for you........... there is a reason they gave you a rusty Adder! But you never know, You might turn out all right after all. :P
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

So, the Duchess of Errat smoothly glides into the docking station at Anxebiza station after a gruelling flight to deliver a parcel. 6days ahead of schedule! The commander looking smug with his efforts and looking forward to possibly better parcel runs in the future. But wait! What happened? Not the usual you have delivered on time here is your money press space?? Quickly pressing F5 twice on the flight console soon discovers the reason. The destination is Anxeonis not Anxebiza!!! what was an easy money short delivery run has now turned into a desperate race against time to deliver the parcel!! recalculating the distance and time required to meet the delivery Commanders Spud42 realises that he has just over 6 days 13 hours to deliver and the quickest route will take 5 days 18 hours !!! Back to Lave Academy for the commander he went in entirely the opposite direction than required!
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

Commander Spud42 here, belay that trip to the Lave Academy!! delivery of Parcel accomplished with 14 Hours to spare!! how dare you doubt my abilities.....

I must say it was touch and go. made it without dying... only ran from pirates once...lol
i think what made the trip possible was two short hops that i didnt need to dock. jumped in system then immediately witchspaced out to the next system.. and still had a couple of lightyears of fuel left to avoid pirates if needed.....

Hardest 528 Cr i have had to earn yet!!
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

@spud42: Good job, commander! I had to laugh while reading the tale of this delivery. Well done!
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Always, always, always check the post code ... :lol:
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

spud42 wrote:
i think what made the trip possible was two short hops that i didnt need to dock. jumped in system then immediately witchspaced out to the next system..
I missed a parcel destination doing that once - had to double back, which made meeting the deadline on the other parcels touch and go!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

It's better to miss one than two or three, especially early in a run. One time I really messed up and had three failures right at the end of a long run of successes, my reputation plummeted from "Best in the galaxy" to "beginning of parcel career," which meant it took a while to get back to a point where I was being given valuable packages. If I'd missed it early in the run the later successes would have probably put me back near the top of the profession.
Cody

Post by Cody »

ffutures wrote:
It's better to miss one than two or three...
That depends somewhat on their relative value - when you're at the top of the rep scale, some parcel contracts can pay big bucks.

Which reminds me: with a whole bunch of parcels aboard, it can get difficult to recall their values - could that be displayed on the F5 manifest?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
SteveKing
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SteveKing »

Navigating by the Stars

This is the first time I’ve tried this and was pleasantly surprised, being a somewhat beginner with using the 'Towbar' (see the Darwin Awards :oops: ).

My 2nd commander, Hennessey, was towing a Boa Clipper to the main station with the requisite loss of bits and pieces in clumps scattered in a nice line from somewhere in the system with no definite point of reference (like a waypoint beacon), back to the main station. As (un)luck would have it, the towbar broke when doing some fine manoeuvres in the Aegis, so Hennessey (after a bit of cursing) kept on to the docking lane. Oh well, he’d just have to dock, repair the towbar, come out again to pick up the hulk and deliver it – simples.

Waiting for docking permission he kept an eye on the Clipper and noticed a fairly distinctive pattern of stars just below it. Taking notice of the shape of the impromptu constellation, he reasoned that theoretically if he started from his relative position in the docking lane (about half way) and flew towards the position where the clipper is (a few degrees above that group of stars), surely the station will not have moved too much in orbit so he could retrace his path back to the trail of junk he’d left behind and pick it up.

A short (in game) time later and with a repaired towbar, he exited from the station, towed the BC back in and exited the station again. Positioning himself at about where he thought he was before docking – to many a warning from the station to clear the lane! – rotating around until he found the constellation again, he blasted off to try and find the bits of the ship he’d left behind. As he hoped, scattered along the line he flew were the bits and pieces that had broken from the ship, drifting about waiting to be picked up – no-one had come across them.

Feeling very pleased with himself, Hennessey picked up the bonus tonnes of alloys and cruised back to the station. On the way in he began to appreciate the old galactic explorers and the ancient mariners of Mother Earth and their skills in stellar navigation, rather than having a neat bit of software in your navcom that can tell you exactly where everything is.
SteveKing
(not quite the author)
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

Nice one Steve....

well after his recent sucess at parcel delivery Commander Spud42 decided to accept not only another parcel run BUT also a cargo contract which was only another 5 hops from the parcel destination.

Making certain of the CORRECT destination this time he not only delivered the zero G sports tapes but managed to deliver the 34T of radioactives with a day or so to spare.

Where do you find out your current rep? is it ANOTHER OXP? or is it core?
OR i could go with
or simply
Venator Dha
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Venator Dha »

spud42 wrote:
Display reputation will give you an indication of your rep.

Edit: removed wrong link
Last edited by Venator Dha on Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Taurus Driving through the galaxy since... .
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

Venator Dha wrote:
spud42 wrote:
[EliteWiki] Display reputation will give you an indication of your rep.
Cheers will check it out....

EDIT: I get a wiki page that has no text on it... Ironically it has text on it to tell me it has no text... also no DL links etc??
OR i could go with
or simply
Venator Dha
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Venator Dha »

spud42 wrote:
Venator Dha wrote:
spud42 wrote:
[EliteWiki] Display reputation will give you an indication of your rep.
Cheers will check it out....

EDIT: I get a wiki page that has no text on it... Ironically it has text on it to tell me it has no text... also no DL links etc??
http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Display_reputation_OXP try this
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

thanks for that , works now. does this take into consideration parcel runs completed before its installation?
OR i could go with
or simply
Venator Dha
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Venator Dha »

spud42 wrote:
thanks for that , works now. does this take into consideration parcel runs completed before its installation?
I could be wrong :lol: , but I think it does. I think it reads what your current reputation is. Suck it and see is my advice :)