Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Oolite Darwin Awards

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Oolite Darwin Awards

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

:lol:

5 times huh? Darwin would be proud. :)
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

And you now understand why I limited Cargo Shepherd to cargo, and not rocks. They do tend to be somewhat larger and smack into you somewhat harder ;)
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

SandJ wrote:
I downloaded the Cargo Shepherd OXP and "improved" it. I increased its attraction ability by a factor of 1000 or so.
You have created nearly an unregistered black hole. Those require a special license to get one as a pet.

Reminds me of when I set my ship's density REALLY high, thinking it would let me ram other ships without dying. I was mass-locking everything else but ramming went just as badly as before. Trying it out on an asteroid was probably a bad choice for a first target.

Thanks to injectors, it's possible to ram your own missile. Fortunately, this almost always causes it to do minimal damage to your ship...unless you've hacked a missile into using a q-bomb explosion.
Ganelon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ganelon »

Switeck wrote:
You have created nearly an unregistered black hole. Those require a special license to get one as a pet.
A black hole.. Now *that* would be something to run into in Oolite. Rare, probably only occurring once in a great while in interstellar space. It'd almost certainly be fatal by the time the player figured out what it was, but it could give a memorable "Huh? What's going on? What's THAT?? oh crap.." sort of "press space" experience as the player, the Thargoid warships, drones and everything else got dragged in. :lol:
Sleep? Who needs sleep? Got game. No need sleep.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

The idea has been in the back of my mind since I conceived and wrote Cargo Shepherd :twisted:

It wouldn't be too different code-wise, but would need a few additional points and tweaks as it would be dealing with powered and active ships, including the player one. Plus it would change the feel of the game locally, as coming to zero velocity would no longer have you stopped and idle in space.
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

I decided to spend this morning mining. So I've installed a mining laser to starboard, flown between systems until I found an asteroid field and then spent the past hour and a bit blasting asteroids to boulders, then boulders to splinters. I have picked up the first five, checked my manifest, then gone to my other PC and switched from Firefox to my spreadsheet of cargo, then switched back to Firefox, then went back to my gaming PC and pressed Alt-TAB to switch from the manifest to the view screen.

"Target lost".

Eh?

Alt-TAB ... that'll be the Energy Bomb then. Arse.

I'm now a fugitive surrounded by white dots (squillions of spliters I expect) sitting in the main space lane of a Corporate State. How do I get out of this? If I hang around and scoop the cargo, I'll have to eject and lose it to clear the Fugitive status. So I may as well eject.

There's only one thing for it: self-destruct and reload the saved game. Grrrrrr. Except, as I have been writing this, the GalCop Viper made the decision for me.

. . . . . . . . Press Space Commander

Mining is dangerous work.
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
Ganelon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ganelon »

Well, what you could have done would have been a bit of travel, SandJ. Assuming you are familiar with sunskimming, fuel is no problem. After you've jumped some systems, your legal rating would have gone down to offender and you'd be able to dock, sell your ore at a main station and save.

Kind of like in the old days... when someone got in trouble, they got the heck out of town.

PS: Oh, and you could still have docked, just couldn't have used autodock functions. The only trick is that it's best to dock really fast when you have fugitive status, before the Vipers can shoot the crap out of you.
Sleep? Who needs sleep? Got game. No need sleep.
Staer9
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Staer9 »

Ganelon wrote:
PS: Oh, and you could still have docked, just couldn't have used autodock functions. The only trick is that it's best to dock really fast when you have fugitive status, before the Vipers can shoot the crap out of you.
not always the case... once when I tried to dock really fast (with injectors) a galcop ship decided to launch just as I was about to dock, BOOM....

press space commander
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Staer9 wrote:
... once when I tried to dock really fast (with injectors) a galcop ship decided to launch just as I was about to dock, BOOM....

press space commander
It's best not to stop as soon as you've launched as well.....I got tail-ended by a Viper once. Bloody mad coppers think they own the 'lanes. :roll:
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Smivs wrote:
Staer9 wrote:
... once when I tried to dock really fast (with injectors) a galcop ship decided to launch just as I was about to dock, BOOM....

press space commander
It's best not to stop as soon as you've launched as well.....I got tail-ended by a Viper once. Bloody mad coppers think they own the 'lanes. :roll:
That'll be Violation #27: Failure to make adequate progress away from the docking port.

I hope you felt suitable admonished?
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RyanHoots »

When I was a Jameson (last month :) ), I launched from the station, and without checking the scanner, switched to the aft camera and pushed my ship to top speed. I switched to the forward view soon enough to see the viper right in front of me. I hate it when vipers launch and stop 5 KM or so in front of the station without moving! I reached quickly for the S key, but hit the A key! :oops:
Firing on a viper is NOT a good thing when you're within scanner range of the station. At least four launched and attacked me, and before long... "Press space, Commander." :oops:
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

A little photonic push? Surely no worse than pipping your horn? :wink:
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RyanHoots »

Just had another bad moment about... thirty seconds ago. I was enjoying my personal fireworks display, but by accident I hit the Tab button. So much for the fireworks. :oops:
Azured
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Azured »

My ship's now in pretty good shape and I'm hunting the Constrictor in Gal 2, but without any clues I'm feeling a bit bored. I think to myself "I've got a couple of hardheads on board, why not try to meet some thargoids to toast?". So instead of making the jump normally I try to force a mis-jump by the usual means.

When I actually succeed in it I realised that due to my Constrictor hunt I always jump the maximum distance. So now I'm floating in mid-space, surrounded by Thargoids and virtually no Witchspace fuel. I frag two of them and hurt a third one aplenty before the robot fighters swarm me due to not being able to inject away...

I manage to cripple myself even further in these kind of situations by never carrying an Energy Bomb... Press Space Commander!
I like my women how I like my laser beams: Thin and bristling with concealed power.
Dragonfire
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Dragonfire »

Ganelon wrote:
Switeck wrote:
A black hole.. Now *that* would be something to run into in Oolite. Rare, probably only occurring once in a great while in interstellar space. It'd almost certainly be fatal by the time the player figured out what it was, but it could give a memorable "Huh? What's going on? What's THAT?? oh crap.." sort of "press space" experience as the player, the Thargoid warships, drones and everything else got dragged in. :lol:
I know this is a smidge off-topic, but THAT gives me an idea for a really awesome missile addition! A gravity missile that sucks everything (except the player ship) in towards it, causing all the ships in the area to collide into each other before it explodes. It would be rather fun to drop right in the middle of a hoard of pirates, wouldn't it?

Just have to make sure it doesn't suck in the player ship or any space stations or beacons...