Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Regular crashes are back with 1.73.4 :(

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

pmw57
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pmw57 »

Screet wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
:idea: Download Ubuntu (or better yet, SuperOS), burn it to cd.. type format C:\ at a command prompt, then boot the cd and install Linux :!: :mrgreen:
NO! The wine using tester of my program always has trouble - he's losing his connection and reconnecting does, unlike under windows, not work! NO! ;)

Screet
Uhm, pardon me for pointing this out but, when testing we actually want bugs and crashes to appear. :D

If we run things under the precise environmental conditions that they require (to within 2% tolerance) then the program becomes useless to many people. :?

So to sum up, crashes are good, bugs are a feature. :shock:
A trumble a day keeps the doctor away, and the tax man;
even the Grim Reaper keeps his distance.
-- Paul Wilkins
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

pmw57 wrote:
Uhm, pardon me for pointing this out but, when testing we actually want bugs and crashes to appear. :D

If we run things under the precise environmental conditions that they require (to within 2% tolerance) then the program becomes useless to many people. :?

So to sum up, crashes are good, bugs are a feature. :shock:
Yes, sure testing should reveal bugs...but not in the environment running the app! ;)

Really, I don't understand what's happening there: Under windows I can close a socket and then use it to connect again to the same IP/port it was connected before.

Using Wine, it doesn't even work if I close and destroy the socket, then create a new one to connect with - it's simply not connecting again unless the application is closed and restarted :?

Screet
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

@ Screet.. is it possible to do what you want with a Windows install running in VirtualBox on Linux? You'd still have networked connections to the Linux side that way..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Diziet Sma wrote:
@ Screet.. is it possible to do what you want with a Windows install running in VirtualBox on Linux? You'd still have networked connections to the Linux side that way..
Surely yes, but that guy won't like that idea ;)

Screet
pmw57
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pmw57 »

Screet wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
Surely yes, but that guy won't like that idea ;)

Screet
He could wait instead until a native Linux port is available :twisted:
A trumble a day keeps the doctor away, and the tax man;
even the Grim Reaper keeps his distance.
-- Paul Wilkins
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Don't forget a mac port too! :twisted:
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Kaks wrote:
Screet wrote:
Rebuild the complete system? Are you talking about my OS? ARGH! NO WAY!
Well, it did work for me, and from what you have been saying, your OS sounds pretty flakey anyway, what with its random Blue Screens Of Death.
Some news: I did exchange the Mobo/CPU/RAM and installed a fresh Vista. The timer-test still does crash reliably.

I'm also beginning to think that my crashes when scooping splinters might be timer-related, as the crash seems to appear when some of those splinters should have been processed...and even worse: I could not reproduce that crash on the other machine in the debugger :?

Screet
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Wow, it seems that this one issue is spread across 3 different threads now. Is this a record?
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Kaks wrote:
Wow, it seems that this one issue is spread across 3 different threads now. Is this a record?
OK, so I reply here ;)

I just did give my development machine a test with the timer-crash-test.

XP 32bit: OK
XP 64bit: KABOOM!

And my Vista OS which does crash was and is 64bit...

Screet
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Linux 64-bit is fine scooping all kinds of splinters.
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

And I suspect most Vista 64 bits will be fine too.
I do believe, without any particular reason, that it's connected to the 'special' timer crash Screet keeps getting...
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Kaks wrote:
And I suspect most Vista 64 bits will be fine too.
I do believe, without any particular reason, that it's connected to the 'special' timer crash Screet keeps getting...
Yes, that's somewhat likely, although the strange thing is that I can scoop splinters that create minerals and alloys on the affected system, which indicates it might be a unit problem, as there have recently been crash reports about oxps with wrong unit settings.

I do wonder what's wrong with those timers. Can anyone tell me how they are implemented? Do they use Windows timers?

The reason that I ask is that during my work a colleage from OHB (satellite builders, on board units, ...) told me about horrible problems with windows timers. Apparantly it's easily possible to create too many timers and thus cause them to malfunction. A possible solution was to use one timer and that one does take care of all the code parts which want to use different timers...

Screet