Galactic Navy Strikes Back

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

I now updated Galactic Navy to version 5.2.3.

Basically there should be no functional change with the last version 5.2.2. I opted mostly for compatibility with 1.74 to get rid of some deprecation warnings.
  • *minimum version raised to 1.74
    *AI command-optimising.
    *works now correct with the new mission screen handling of Oolite 1.74.
    *fixed bug of not getting the special award for each 10 sorties.
    *fixed bug with displaying wrong galaxyNumber on galactic jump.
For now I release this just as a test version. When I get contact with Matt or Nemoricus, I'll make it an official version with bug fixes (If they are found) on the wiki.

EDIT: removed link of outdated beta version.
Last edited by Eric Walch on Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

Wow! Thanks, Eric! That made one hell of a difference to my frame rate! Presumably it's the AI command optimising that's been improved that made the difference? I was able to participate in a sortie without it being frelled and dropping to the single digits! I'll probably take up these more often now!

I also see that the buoy outside the SecCom station is now correct - before it showed up on the scanner as just yellow. It's something that continually irked me, but I always forgot about it and so never got around to changing.

Slightly off-topic query: is it possible for a similar thing to be done for Thargoid Wars? Because as with this oxp, it has a habit of killing my frame rate, often to 4fps, making shooting a little tricky... Course, if it wasn't the AIs that did it then I'll have to think of another reason why it does this..
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Mauiby de Fug wrote:
Slightly off-topic query: is it possible for a similar thing to be done for Thargoid Wars? Because as with this oxp, it has a habit of killing my frame rate, often to 4fps, making shooting a little tricky... Course, if it wasn't the AIs that did it then I'll have to think of another reason why it does this..
Thargoid Wars should not kill frame rates. It is a fairly basic oxp that just adds a few ships with role "thargoid". It does not contain the thargoid ships itself. The problem is more likely in the ships you have installed as thargoid.
Do you accidentally run trunk? In trunk the tharglets have got an additional role of EQ_THARGON. This role is now used when an ops does not define a missile_role for the thargoids. I noticed when I install a replacement ship-set, this new role is missing (overwritten by the replacement) and FPS rate can drop quite drastic when adding a thargoid without specific missile_role in his shipdata. ("thargon" was the old default role).

The future roleset for the internal tharglets will be:
roles = "tharglet thargon EQ_THARGON";

And I also remember a bug in the orgacic-thargoids from griff his normal mapped set that could affect frame rate strongly. I don't know the exact bug anymore and it was fixed a long time ago. But, you might still use an old version. (Although I am not sure anymore if the bug was in the organic thargoid ships or an trunk version)
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

No, I don't run trunk... But I do have a variety of shipsets installed, and as there are occasionally times when it doesn't completely screw up, it might be that it's not using that specific type of ship.

I'll have a look through the plists and see what I can find...
And if that doesn't turn something up, I might find a nice clear area of space and use the console to spawn things until it gets hairy, and see if it's limited to a single type...
Yodeebe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yodeebe »

Hi.
I installed 5.2.3 (beta), but the game got hung up on a thargoid battle fleet battle in Enarines. G8
Basically, the game didn't register the battle as 'over', so everytime I left the local station, or the bar, or left the system and returned back in again, the thargoids attacked all over again.
quite good fun actually :D
...for a while.
Also, something was causing intermittent frame rate problems, which i don't usually have at all.
and, a mystery Caduceus attacking me, but i never saw it, and it didn't register with the > directional thing of the advanced navigational array, despite auto target locking on it when it shot me. Cloaked?
that last bit might be an un-related mystery.
I'm back to 5.2.2, and no problems.
I hope that helps.
Cheers.
Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

After you destroy three Thargoid ships, you should get a message from the Navy thanking you for your help. Did you ever see this?

Also, I'm going through 5.2.3, fixing bugs and making some minor changes. Once I'm done with that, I'll release a new version of Galactic Navy.
Dream as if you'll live forever
Live as if you'll die tomorrow
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Yodeebe wrote:
Hi.
I installed 5.2.3 (beta), but the game got hung up on a thargoid battle fleet battle in Enarines. G8
Basically, the game didn't register the battle as 'over', so everytime I left the local station, or the bar, or left the system and returned back in again, the thargoids attacked all over again.
quite good fun actually :D
...for a while.
I have not altered anything here. At least not knowingly. But as Nemoricus writes, there must have been a minimum thargoid kills before the battle is over. What I did notice with the fleet-attack is that there was a lot of thargoid-thargoid fire. So when waiting a bit, they will kill each other and trigger the minimum amount of kills this way. Here I made a change by merging all thargoids in the fleet to a single group. Friendly fire within a group is ignored in 90% of the cases. This should reduce the change of thargoids killing each other by 90%. And this may be the cause of not getting the minimum amount of kills when not participating in the battle.
On the last test I did, there was a constation at the entry point and I was fighting hard to safe that station by only attacking thargoids shooting at the station. But I failed at the end. All thargoids were killed, but the constation also :cry:

And I am pleased that Nemoricus will do the final check and full release of this widely used oxp. My goal was only to update the deprecated functions, and not change anything for the user.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

When I dock with the Gal. Navy station, I don't get an option to sign up or view the news...it goes straight to the regular F5 screen. (using v5.2.3 beta of course)
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Switeck wrote:
When I dock with the Gal. Navy station, I don't get an option to sign up or view the news...it goes straight to the regular F5 screen. (using v5.2.3 beta of course)
This could be caused by a wrong variable. In my current changes I did set the variable in the ship script of the station to prevent this problem. So it can only happen on the first docking. After the first launch from the new station, everything should stay okay.
(I changed it this way because I had a corrupted variable myself during testing)
Last edited by Eric Walch on Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

That's odd. Do you mind posting your Latest.log?

EDIT: Give Eric's suggestion a go, and let us know how that turns out.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

I docked, launched, and redocked with the Navy station and still did not get any options. :cry:
Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

Hmm....try reinstalling Galactic Navy and see if that fixes the problem. If it doesn't, post the latest.log file.

Yodeebe: I've found the source of your problem. It's a bug in how the mission clean-up code is written. I've fixed it for the next version.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Seemed to only happen twice...the other attempts after that worked for some odd reason.
Yodeebe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yodeebe »

Nemoricus wrote:
Hmm....try reinstalling Galactic Navy and see if that fixes the problem. If it doesn't, post the latest.log file.

Yodeebe: I've found the source of your problem. It's a bug in how the mission clean-up code is written. I've fixed it for the next version.

Cool.
Well done. :)
Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

And 5.3.0 is now up for testing. Check the end of the first post in this thread.

After it's been checked out, I'll remove the link to the old version.