Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Caduceus

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Sorry to hear that you joined us in such sad circumstances.

Thank-you for your wonderful contributions while you've been here.

Is there anywhere I can see your RL(tm) work?

As a would-be writer myself - you can find my RL efforts here - were I pretend to be somebody called John Hoggard :wink:
I'm not going anywhere yet! The mapping project alone is going to take 4 months to complete. It's just in case any one was wondering why I didn't move onto flashing the maps, or writing missions or the other 101 things I've professed an interest in.

for those of you who are interested the main audio site is www.isotopeaudio.co.uk

it hasn't been updated in a while but the audio is easy to browse from the window on the left or by navigating through on the right.

If you only listen to one, then listen to this one:
http://www.isotopeaudio.co.uk/audiofiles/stella.mp3
Derek Stella Deep Space Bounty Hunter!

Ta for the link Mr H! I shall be giving it a listen as I place systems on Map 3.

:D
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Ta for the link Mr H! I shall be giving it a listen as I place systems on Map 3.
You won't have much to listen to unless you get Word to read it back to you!

The closest I've gotten to audio is I wrote some radio ads for "The Bookshop" when I was a Uni (I worked there part time) but it closed down after I left and before the ads went on air (although you can hear my ramblings from last year when I was talking about why writing is just the best when I was interviewed by Radio Berkshire).

Hope you like the ad - with better screenies I might have done a slightly better job (but not much!).

later

DH

PS - Glad you're not going anywhere too soon!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Hi,

there's a typo in both caduceus alpha and omega. The eject position of these ships is wrong, rendering fuel tanks, guardians and mines unusable. Ejection of cargo also is not shown.

Easy fix: open the shipdata.plist and view the values for the eject position. The last number needs a . behind the first value, then the cargo and such are being ejected slightly below the ship. Maybe it should even be a 0.x number, but as the . after the first digit seems to work nice, I don't have much interest in trying ;)

Screet
Tivva
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Right behind you in a cloaked Thargoid Warship prototype

Post by Tivva »

Screet wrote:
Hi,

there's a typo in both caduceus alpha and omega. The eject position of these ships is wrong, rendering fuel tanks, guardians and mines unusable. Ejection of cargo also is not shown.

Easy fix: open the shipdata.plist and view the values for the eject position. The last number needs a . behind the first value, then the cargo and such are being ejected slightly below the ship. Maybe it should even be a 0.x number, but as the . after the first digit seems to work nice, I don't have much interest in trying ;)

Screet
Help, where do I find the shipdata.plist on a mac
tried seaching to no avail... :(
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Tivva wrote:
Screet wrote:
Hi,

Screet
Don't worry I'll run a fix and get it up tonight. Sorry about that.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

ClymAngus wrote:
Can you also have a look at the ships name? The last time I had to remove the _ from the player ships names in order to make it read "Caduceus Alpha" instead of "Caduceus_Alpha".

Screet
Tivva
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tivva »

ClymAngus wrote:
Tivva wrote:
Screet wrote:
Hi,

Screet
Thanks, you're a star
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

OK I think we're fixed. The cargo was being ejected. An effing long way away in minus Z. But it was being ejected.

Hmm I wonder if the ejectg code could be hijacked to produce a mass driver cannon? If you gave it a destruct time of about 30 seconds it shouldn't clog up the cpu any.
Last edited by ClymAngus on Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Tivva wrote:
Just for future reference, right-click on the OXP and select "Show Package Contents". The shipdata.plist is in the Config folder.
Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

ClymAngus wrote:
OK I think we're fixed. The cargo was being ejected. An effing long way away in minus Z. But it was being ejected.

Hmm I wonder if the ejectg code could be hijacked to produce a mass driver cannon? If you gave it a destruct time of about 30 seconds it shouldn't clog up the cpu any.
I second this idea. Turning Captain Hesperus's ejection cannon into a standard piece of equipment would be great fun.

Can you set the ejection speed in a .plist?

I think that this can be done.
Dream as if you'll live forever
Live as if you'll die tomorrow
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Nemoricus wrote:
I second this idea. Turning Captain Hesperus's ejection cannon into a standard piece of equipment would be great fun.

Can you set the ejection speed in a .plist?

I think that this can be done.
Someone else was against it. It's no longer possible to use cargo as a cannon, the trunk code prohibits to eject items at high speed.

Screet
Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

However, cargo containers are technically ships. You can give those high speed and an AI to use that speed.
Dream as if you'll live forever
Live as if you'll die tomorrow
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

I suppose you could just do a special missile with a (sh*) load of ammunition. That way you could get reloads for it and different calibres, fire speeds and muzzel velocities. Making it dumb fire however may be a bit of a challenge, getting the auto destruct on the ammo right, Making the projectiles small enough so they're not one shot decimators, yet visible enough so they give a cool look.

There's also the issue of shooting yourself down: E.G. F-11 Tiger
Which would be quite funny. :D
I slow down, take careful aim and fire, speed up again into my own hail of bullets!
Tivva
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tivva »

Disembodied wrote:
Tivva wrote:
Just for future reference, right-click on the OXP and select "Show Package Contents". The shipdata.plist is in the Config folder.
Thanks Disembodied.
I've been there before but just couldn't remember how....
I think I'm getting old.... :oops:
Tivva
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tivva »

Screet wrote:
Hi,

Screet
Hi Screet
Text edit for dummies required...
Current shipdata.plist line reads

Code: Select all

<key>aft_eject_position</key>
		<string>0.017906 -6.275644 -40.161734</string>
where do i put the .?

Cheers
Tiv