Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

hyperradio

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: hyperradio

Post by JazHaz »

Maybe we need to ask if anyone has got it in their collection, and get it uploaded somewhere else.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

I've got all the soundpacks. Some are 36 and 38 MB and too big for me to host on the free box, max 25MB file size. The music files are freely distributable provided the links to the music are posted and can be put in packs of a more decent size. The only thing that could be an issue to ask rustybolts is for the script that adds the files for hyperradio to play but it is basic code and used by all the packs so is also not an issue.

Perhaps a reorganization of all the soundpack music and general declutter is in order. When you look at all the packs together there are some duplicate music files. Also the readme for the large one I have here by Rustybolts doesn't seem to have enough information and links to the music to satisfy license requirements. Would have to look up each song to be sure.

If Rustybolts and other pack authors don't want to host them anymore, I would volunteer to reorganize and cleanup the whole lot, separate and group songs into smaller packs and make sure the links to the music are posted properly. And if no one wants to host them I would do that as well. I'm getting into oxp music right now so it wouldn't be too much trouble.

Cheers. :)
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Yep. Would make sense to host bacontubes and Rustybolts packs permanently somewhere. bacontube has uploaded the files to megaupload, so I'd guess there's a timelimit as well. The script is a generic script I've put together to be used for new packs, so this is absolutely no prob too.

About the duplicated file in Rustybolts/bacontubes pack. Rustybolt has packed a complete album, while bacontube has made a sampler from various artists. As eyery pack gets a own channel in Hyperradio it is not a big problem. Personally I don't see the need to keep the duplicated file in both packs.

The channels are not available everywhere - a random distribution with two fixed entries (based on government and number of available packs) is used. So only the merged list (GalaxyRadio) is available in every system, but the merging is optional. If switched off only the example files are in that list.
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

Bravo Svengali! Just added this and a couple music packs last night. Too bad some of the ambient ones are not available. During play last night I was taken with the beauty of the Ooniverse: A planet bathed in sunlight, glowing nebulae in the background, and technopunk on the radio. Then some pirates arrived wanting to pick a fight.
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

CaptSolo wrote:
Bravo Svengali! Just added this and a couple music packs last night. Too bad some of the ambient ones are not available. During play last night I was taken with the beauty of the Ooniverse: A planet bathed in sunlight, glowing nebulae in the background, and technopunk on the radio. Then some pirates arrived wanting to pick a fight.
Wait till you try the experimental event driven music that has been in my addons folder for several months. Different styles of music for each economy type and currently looking at fugues for thargoids. Still a prototype and very experimental but it adds alot to the game and I find I even miss it when it is removed to test other things. Release date: whenever I finally finish it. :lol:
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

WIKI+OXPs
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

CommonSenseOTB wrote:
Wait till you try the experimental event driven music that has been in my addons folder for several months. Different styles of music for each economy type and currently looking at fugues for thargoids. Still a prototype and very experimental but it adds alot to the game and I find I even miss it when it is removed to test other things. Release date: whenever I finally finish it. :lol:
Sounds great! Will the music cut out with red alert? Wouldn't mind if it doesn't.
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

CaptSolo wrote:
CommonSenseOTB wrote:
Sounds great! Will the music cut out with red alert? Wouldn't mind if it doesn't.
Oh, actually it is reactive music. Like a movie, the tracks change either to reflect the mood or enhance the mood of what is going on. The dogfight music with red alert is quite excellent for most of the soundtracks and even switches to a cautionary/panic type of dogfight music when shields and energy go below a certain threshold. My favorites have to be the poor agricultural soundtrack with lots of war drums for combat and odyssey travelling type sounds and the rich industrial soundtrack with fast paced techno for the combat. The soundtrack type of music has been chosen to reflect a kind of similarity with the economy type. It was difficult to find complete sets of music with a similar soundtype that just sound right together and with the correct license to use it in an oxp. There are lots of appropriate fugues that sound good together so I should be able to make a decent thargoid theme that will override the others when needed or in witchspace. Well that's the plan anyway. :roll: :lol:

WIKI+OXPs
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Sounds great, I have been wishing for music that adapts to the situation for a long time! What I find very important for my gameplay though is that the laser hit/miss sound must remain audible over the music. If it is possible, please consider ducking the music while playing the laser sound.
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

maik wrote:
Sounds great, I have been wishing for music that adapts to the situation for a long time! What I find very important for my gameplay though is that the laser hit/miss sound must remain audible over the music. If it is possible, please consider ducking the music while playing the laser sound.
The sound features in Oolite are are very underdeveloped. You can start a sound file, have it loop and stop it and that is it. No volume control, no event to say a file has finished playing, no global JS object to list all sound objects currently playing and finally no access to the embedded meta-data in the file. To reduce volume for laser fire you would need to also know when the laser was firing which is another thing that Oolite has no event for.

Sorry but you are out of luck. :-(
Chat and relax with other commanders in the [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/oolite]DS's Seedy Space Bar[/url]. The Coolest Bar in the Eight.

Phantor's OXPs: [EliteWiki] GalCop Rewards and [EliteWiki] Safe Docking
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

PhantorGorth wrote:
Sorry but you are out of luck. :-(
Too bad, but thanks for the information! Maybe this could go into a feature request for 1.77 ;-)
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

CCL_Music is event driven and [EliteWiki] documented. But as PhantorGorth has already pointed out there are some limits for music/sound handling. More features are already requested, but I think it won't be that easy to implement them. A while ago I've tried use fade in/out for musicfiles (on SDL). Fading in works pretty well, but fading out locks the game until the fade has been completed and the callback has been done.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

CommonSenseOTB wrote:
I've got all the soundpacks. Some are 36 and 38 MB and too big for me to host on the free box, max 25MB file size. The music files are freely distributable provided the links to the music are posted and can be put in packs of a more decent size. The only thing that could be an issue to ask rustybolts is for the script that adds the files for hyperradio to play but it is basic code and used by all the packs so is also not an issue.

Perhaps a reorganization of all the soundpack music and general declutter is in order. When you look at all the packs together there are some duplicate music files. Also the readme for the large one I have here by Rustybolts doesn't seem to have enough information and links to the music to satisfy license requirements. Would have to look up each song to be sure.

If Rustybolts and other pack authors don't want to host them anymore, I would volunteer to reorganize and cleanup the whole lot, separate and group songs into smaller packs and make sure the links to the music are posted properly. And if no one wants to host them I would do that as well. I'm getting into oxp music right now so it wouldn't be too much trouble.

Cheers. :)
Please do this.. now that the megaupload domain has been seized by the US govt, bacontube's music packs are unavailable.. naturally, they're the ones I most wanted.. :x (if I recall, some members here have upgraded box.net accounts that might be able to host the larger file sizes, too..)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

I'll look at that after I release my event driven music oxp, if no one else hosts those abient music packs first that is. :lol:

WIKI+OXPs
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Hyperradio v1.25 is online.

Changes:
- Adapted changes in Cabal_Common
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

CommonSenseOTB wrote:
I've got all the soundpacks. Some are 36 and 38 MB and too big for me to host on the free box, max 25MB file size.
CommonSenseOTB wrote:
I'll look at that after I release my event driven music oxp, if no one else hosts those ambient music packs first that is. :lol:
How's this going, CSOTB? My Box account can handle the large file sizes, and I'd be happy to host the 2 missing packs of bacontube's..
  • Pack TN01 - Technofunk
  • Pack PSY01 - Ambient Psychedelic

(I'll also be releasing some new musicpacks soon..)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied