Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Galactic Navy OXP - Mission Ideas Needed

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

matt634 wrote:
My apologies Windows users... I think the blame lies with the crapware zipper I was using. I uploaded a better zip to box.net and tested it on the XP side of my Macbook. Everything seems to be working now!
Yes i can confirm that. I am able to extract the new zip file.
matt634 wrote:
For the Mac users:

How's she play? Is no news good news? I've had several go's at the Spec Ops mission in Galaxy 6 and have been able to complete it successfully only 1 out of 10 times and that's knowing the strategy. The reward is huge so I want it difficult but not impossible. How about the reserve missions? Are they working for people?
In case you care to hear something from us (you know the bloody windows users :wink: ) i want to report that i am unable to locate the seccom at isinor (with my advance space compas). In my previous version
1.6 it was there. I have test it with oolite ver 1.70
matt634
Deadly
Deadly

Post by matt634 »

Hmm? Not sure what could be causing that. I didn't change the planetinfo.plist between versions. Is the Station there but not showing up on the compass or just not there at all? Did you refresh your cache after installing the new OXP (holding shift down while starting [on a mac anyway])?
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

matt634 wrote:
Hmm? Not sure what could be causing that. I didn't change the planetinfo.plist between versions. Is the Station there but not showing up on the compass or just not there at all? Did you refresh your cache after installing the new OXP (holding shift down while starting [on a mac anyway])?
Thanks matt :D
thank god it was the cache. I was afraid for the worst (a thargoid sneak attack)
matt634
Deadly
Deadly

Post by matt634 »

Glad its finally working on all systems! I had no intention of leaving windows users behind. I was a windows user myself once :wink: I'm eager to hear your impressions now that you've got it working. I especially encourage you to try out the reserve missions and the included play-test save file for the Spec Ops mission.

Hope you enjoy it!
VPR
Poor
Poor

Post by VPR »

Everything's sorted out for me as well, stations and stuff now show up/function correctly and the new features are good. Haven't tried the missions yet though. :)
matt634
Deadly
Deadly

Post by matt634 »

Plans Currently Scrapped

With the basic OXP finished and bugs squashed (fingers crossed) I've started scratching the scripter's itch once again.

Inspired by Disembodied's ideas from page 2:
Are we sleepwalking into the outbreak of war between the systems? The Communists making a break for independence, and possible expansion, menaced by Dictatorships in the pay of Corporates... the Navy might feel obliged to try to restore a little "order" to the situation, as well as remove any nascent peacenik threat to their own funding.
I've finished the story line for what I'm calling the Red Scare mission update. It will actually be a series of 12+ missions in Galaxy 8 available to qualified Reservists. Basically, you'll play the role of a newly recruited Navy Intelligence Officer in the battle against Communist expansion. There will be espionage, intrigue, prison breaks, seedy negotiations, shady deals, secret codes, secret weapons, revolutions, and full scale planetary invasions.

Stories and scripts I can handle but I'm not so good graphically. Would any of the more artistically inclined community members be interested in contributing? I'd like to have some nice images for mission screen backgrounds as a lot the action will be taking place while the player is docked. Specifically, I need:

* A computer terminal image that I can overlay with mission text so it appears the player is reading it off a computer screen - should only take up the top half of the mission screen leaving room for choices in the bottom half

* A seedy space bar full of unsavory characters

* A more upscale space bar with a variety of patrons

* The inside of an Astromine???

* The inside of a SLAPU???

There's no timeline for release; right now everything is in storyboard form, so there's no rush on anything. I just know that if I end up creating these images they'll be shabby at best and that's unacceptable for me.
matt634
Deadly
Deadly

Post by matt634 »

Galactic Navy is now fully optimized!!

Using Eric Walch's directions for structuring legacy scripts I've completely streamlined the OXP script for maximum speed. Where there once was 61 separate condition checks to be preformed there are now only 7 and exactly NONE of these conditions are met while in flight!! I also updated the mine sweepers to Mk II capable of disarming cascade missiles as well as mines.

Remember, it is every competent commander's duty to fight the Thargoid menance! Join the Reserves - Visit Your Local SecCom Today!
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Nice! :)
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

Hello Matt

I an receiving the following message (it seems that I have this message only in 1.65 – but maybe I am wrong)

**** Navy Minesweeper Mk II 337 does not respond to scanForNearestShipWithScanClass:

Just mention it
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Ark wrote:
Hello Matt

I an receiving the following message (it seems that I have this message only in 1.65 – but maybe I am wrong)

**** Navy Minesweeper Mk II 337 does not respond to scanForNearestShipWithScanClass:
That's completely correct, because scanForNearestShipWithScanClass: was introduced in 1.70 only. Hasn't matt634 made it clear that GalacticNavy doesn't run on previous versions?
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

:oops:
Then the existence of a requires plist would be nice
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

That's completely correct, because scanForNearestShipWithScanClass: was introduced in 1.70 only.
Not completely right: it will be introduced in 1.71. I noticed that the version in 1.70 never finds anything. (See bugreports)
matt634
Deadly
Deadly

Post by matt634 »

Hmmm... The scanForNearestShipWithScanClass: was a new addition to the optimized upgrade to counter cascade missiles. I should include a requires plist now that I've made that change.

It does work, however, under 1.70, at least on my system.
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

the first mission i did made my pc run VERY slowing (4fps) with 550 objects or so. The second one was fine (250 objects, 60fps the whole time). Changing the resolution and detail made no difference.

Does this suggest a scripting issue rather than it just being the number of ships?

PS Do the missions get harder or vary as times goes on? Both were 'meet the fleet and beat up a fairly small number of thargoids')
matt634
Deadly
Deadly

Post by matt634 »

Hoopy you've made my year! So, glad to hear some feedback!

The 550 objects sounds like an anomaly. I've never seen an object count that large during playtesting - 250ish is the norm. It's difficult to predict an exact number because new ships (tharglets & vipers) are constantly being launched and destroyed. My machine - Black MacBook, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2G Ram - usually drops from 100 fps to around 50 fps, but there's no shuttering. The optimized OXP has no scripts that run after exiting witchspace.

As for difficulty: the answer is it depends. This is war after all, and its unpredictable. The biggest difference maker is how many cruisers and battleships the Thargoids have in their fleet (assuming you have Thargorn Threat installed). If the Thargoids take out your larger cruisers early on, victory is almost impossible.

There are 3 types of missions which are randomly assigned at systems throughout the galaxies - intercepting an incoming Thargoid fleet, cleaning out Thargoids from an already invaded system, and destroying a pirate fleet. The latter mission is Reserve forces only (no large cruisers).

meet the fleet and beat up a fairly small number of thargoids
This shouldn't typically be the case. The missions should have you facing off against 25 Thargoid warships with the possibility of launching 150+ Tharglets! The invasion missions have the Thargoids spread throughout the system, but the intercept mission sends them all in at once - see pics:

I very much welcome any feedback on making the missions better/more fun/more desirable. Not fishing for compliments - I just spent tons of time scripting this and want people to enjoy it :D