Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Please use the wiki for OXPs

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

Which OXPs in particular aren't working?
Dream as if you'll live forever
Live as if you'll die tomorrow
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

well firstly, to not answer your question, I have just downloded these:
icarus
snark
velocity.oxp
weeviloid2
tori
Galcop_trade_outpost_V1
energy_equipment_1
bandersnatch
RVandGS
Llama
Interstellar_help
sunskimmers
..some of which were @ box.net. There were no difficulties. (Safari)

Several OXP's, however were supposed to be available (box.net & elsewhere) but weren't:
http://www.purgatori.net/Isis_Interstellar.htm ->PAGE NOT FOUND

orb
http://www.box.net/public/8sclm59k58#main ->BLANK PAGE/FILE NOT LOADED

target reticle
http://box.net/shared/jmh8p0ixvl| ->BLANK PAGE/FILE NOT LOADED
note that the vertical divider at end of URL is part of URL and not a typo

pallas
http://www.box.net/public/b2tic3tjsk#f4083657 ->BLANK PAGE/FILE NOT LOADED

phoenix
http://oosat.alioth.net/files/Phoenix.zip ->NOTHING HAPPENS

swift

navy starships

merlin

Sometimes a screen message appears for about 250milliseconds @ box.net with various suggestions re. firewall/clean up browser/etc., but other files are downloadable immediately before & after without re-setting firewall/cleaning up Safari.

Alternatively - and more recently - a message appears to say that the files have been removed. This has happened once for the Pallas shipOXP I want to download, but usually it does not.

What would be very helpful would be for a single download to be available NOT at box.net (but at the Wiki page where OXP's download immediately without a problem) containing all the Benulobiweed ships, as is the case with some other OXP ships.

At present I have the Kestrel & Falcon available. I would like to have the Pallas, too.

Is this any help?
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

The Target_Reticule is my error. But from very recent as I only updated that oxp this week. The old one was on the wiki and there you need a "|" as separator while for an external link you need a space as separator. Fixed now. 8)

NB the new 1.1 version is only necessary for working with a HUD that already contains that reticule, but in that case one could also just remove the oxp.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Hello Zbond-Zbond,

I'd say this has more to do with your connection. Yesterday I've downloaded the Pallas without any problems. The site is available and works. Have you tried the link to Charlies oxps folder?
http://www.box.net/public/b2tic3tjsk
Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

:blinky:

I just tried one of the links you put up and it sent me to the folder containing the Oolite add-ons.

Here's the link to the folder containing spaceships. I'd link directly to the add-ons, but I can't seem to do so.
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

The link which starts http://www.box.net/public/b2tic3tjsk..

and finishes ..4083657

never seems to work for me.

As Svengali has successfully downloaded the Pallas file, the difficulty must be elsewhere.

Other box files work for me with no difficulty.

I'll try using a computer orbiting some other star running XP, InternetExplorer & Norton, and see what hapens.

Here it's all OS-X, Safari & Intego.

Thanks for the comments :)
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Zbond-Zbond wrote:
The link which starts http://www.box.net/public/b2tic3tjsk..

and finishes ..4083657

never seems to work for me.

Here it's all OS-X, Safari & Intego.
Works fine for me on OSX with Safari and with Camino. I dont use Intego, but I do use Clam and there doesnt seem to be a problem with the downloaded files.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

@Zbond-Zbond: First, sorry for your troubles.

But generally it is entirely in an OXP-creators discretion where to host his creation. Some do it on the wiki, some on box.net, some elsewhere.

There was the idea once that the wiki should become the download-central for OXPs. Trouble is that it has a size-limit for uploading files. 2 MB. Which makes it useless for bigger ship OXPs with lots of textures etc.

So I'm afraid we all have to live with various download locations, and the fact that some of them may not be working all the time. :?
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Commander McLane wrote:
So I'm afraid we all have to live with various download locations, and the fact that some of them may not be working all the time. :?
Not only download. *mumble* *WIKI* *upload directory* *grumble* *not writeable*

BTW: Does anybody know if Winston is still alive?
Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

However, all OXPs should have a link to their download site from the Wiki.

The Wiki is the first place many people look for OXPs and having at least a link to the download from the Wiki would be very useful.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Nemoricus wrote:
However, all OXPs should have a link to their download site from the Wiki.

The Wiki is the first place many people look for OXPs and having at least a link to the download from the Wiki would be very useful.
I had taken that for granted. :)

The question, however, was about the wiki as storage location for OXPs, which is impossible, due to the various restrictions mentioned above.
pmw57
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pmw57 »

Ahruman wrote:
I also think it would be a bad idea for the core game team to be deciding which OXPs are “good”.
It is important though to advise people about OXPs that are obselete, or rolled in with other packages such as RS/OSE
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Hi pmw57!
pmw57 wrote:
It is important though to advise people about OXPs that are obselete, or rolled in with other packages such as RS/OSE
How so concerning the packages?

The obsolete warning, yes. But for the RS/OSE packages, there is information included there that says which oxps they intend to be replacement alternatives to. That is not the responsibility of the original oxp's makers or the wiki admins, that is my responsibility as the RS/OSE provider.

Oh, and OSE is not a finished oxp, I want to repeat that! OSE is an unfinished work in progress that is only published in the testing section for testing!

My 0.2 Cr 8)

L
pmw57
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: ...

Post by pmw57 »

Lestradae wrote:
The obsolete warning, yes. But for the RS/OSE packages, there is information included there that says which oxps they intend to be replacement alternatives to. That is not the responsibility of the original oxp's makers or the wiki admins, that is my responsibility as the RS/OSE provider.
Consider the person who is introducing themselves for the first time to OXPs.
They will download many OXPs that seem to be of interest, only to find after downloading them that many of them are advised, by other OXPs that have also been obtained, to not be used.

The alternative here is to have a note on the duplicate OXPs that they are also included in other named OXPs. That way a person can decide if they want to try just the individual ones. If they want to try out one of the multi-packs then they will know beforehand - which is an important aspect here - that they need not perform duplicate/obselete downloads.

Myself, I personally wasted about 3 times the time it would have taken, not knowing that. All of the OXPs were downloaded, stored away, unpacked, and shuffled over to the AddOns folder. Then when things failed to work I read the readme files, and ended up trimming away 1/3 of the OXPs.

Then, when documenting some of this, due to the wiki not having all of the info, the experience of digging in to the OXP code-base was very useful for me.

Had I known though about the duplicate content issues up front, a lot less time would have been wasted on the managing and organising side of things. That upsets me, because I want to use that time to play the game instead.

Specify up front, on the wiki's OXP page where they are already used, and we'll stop wasting a lot of peoples time. After the fact it's clear which ones are incompatible with other ones, but this information needs to be readily available before the fact.

Boy Racers (also found in Realistic Shipyards)

and a piece somewhere about clashing OXPs if it's not there already.

Enable yesterdays request for an account on the wiki and I'll be more than happy to lend a hand.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Hi pmw57,

I see where you are coming from, but I am not one of the people who would be involved in a decision like that ...

My suggestion would be to repost what you last wrote here in the Suggestions forum, many people, also some of those who could decide on such a thing concerning the wiki will read it and it is a matter of convincing with arguments (which you have) from there on.

8)

L