Oolite Flavours

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Re: Oolite Flavours

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 4:44 pm
hiran wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 8:20 am
Now that the contextual jukebox is easily available I'd like to it widespread. After all it makes playing a lot more fun without changing Ooniverse, gameplay or else.

Which flavours would it fit in?
Probably all of them. If we had equivalent Jukebox OXPs then we could mix and match, but without any others....
I like that idea. So as the OXP exists already we could think of strange sounds and add them to Stranger's world.

All in all an expert could hear the flavor someone's playing.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

hiran wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 5:21 pm
I like that idea. So as the OXP exists already we could think of strange sounds and add them to Stranger's world.
Harrumph :roll:

Stranger's World is the most normal of the whole lot of them... it actually vaguely corresponds to reality as we know it...
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 10:07 am
hiran wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 5:21 pm
Harrumph :roll:

Stranger's World is the most normal of the whole lot of them... it actually vaguely corresponds to reality as we know it...
Fair enough. Then let's give it normal sounds. How would normality in Oolite sound like? 🤪

I recently browsed some sounds and background music and now believe we just need to make up our mind...
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

New text for Flavours page:

changes underlined or struck out

Vanilla
The original unmodified "strict Oolite" designed to closely replicate the original 1984 Elite.
Play Oolite as close as possible to the original Elite.

Beginner's Set
No change

Additional Planets and Stations
This suite adds additional planets and orbital stations to your Ooniverse. This flavour conflicts with Stranger's World, below.
You might want to add a Flavor for the Additional Planets and the Stations for Extra Planets (SFEP) suite of OXZs. SFEP is dependent on Additional Planets whose textures closely resemble those of Povray Planets . These work well for those not wishing to go with Stranger's physics changing OXZs. The following may not be comprehensive but should be fairly close, corrections and additions are welcome. This list also includes the WildShips OXZs for the Kiota Stations which are not really a part of the whole but do add a lot to it. Ditto for the last two entries on this list which are really just a lot of fun to have due to the clever writing.

Stranger's World Set
Stranger prefers a more realistic game. All movement now uses fuel. Distances are a bit more realistic, planets, moons and orbiting stations are added to solar systems and move in orbits, laser fire is invisible, trade is tweaked, etc.

Depth Set
No change

G1 Missions and Activities
This adds a dozen or so mission OXPs to the first galaxy. More things to do - adventures and explorations!
We will need something for G2, G3, G4, etc. Perhaps just meta-OXPs? By the time a new player gets to G2 they will no longer be so new and should not need so much help.

Other:

1) What do the "Add" and "Replace" buttons do?

Should there also be just a "list" button to show the OXPs in the flavour?

2) Can we get a note to pop up?
Note to pop up for Vanilla's "closely replicate": The original Energy Bomb is replaced with the Quirium Cascade Mine, and there are also several new pieces of equipment.

3) And does it make sense to link some terms to the relevant wiki pages?

Vanilla
The original unmodified "strict Oolite" designed to closely replicate the original 1984 Elite.
Note to pop up for "closely replicate": The original Energy Bomb is replaced with the Quirium Cascade Mine, and there are also several new pieces of equipment.

Additional Planets and Stations
This suite adds additional planets and orbital stations to your Ooniverse. This flavour conflicts with Stranger's World, below.

Stranger's World Set
Stranger prefers a more realistic game. All movement now uses fuel. Distances are a bit more realistic, planets, moons and orbiting stations are added to solar systems and move in orbits, laser fire is invisible, trade is tweaked, etc.
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 9:52 am
New text for Flavours page:
[...]
Done!
Other:

1) What do the "Add" and "Replace" buttons do?
Here we need to apply set theory.

Assume you have some expansions installed. Anywhere from none to all available expansions. The set of installed expansions I will now call 'A'.
Look at a flavor of your choice. It consists of expansions, too. I will call the set of expansions for the flavor 'B'.
What will happen if a user chooses a(nother) flavor?

Expansions not installed and not part of the chosen flavor can easily be ignored. But for each expansion that is either in A or B we need to define what shall happen - and this is what you can do by pressing one of the two buttons:

Add: It will add all expansions in B that are not contained in A. Afterwards you will find all expansions that were part of A or B (or both) installed.
Replace: All expansions listed in B will be installed, all expansions listed in A that are not part of B are uninstalled. Afterwards you will only find expansions listed in B as installed.
Someone already suggested that, and I am not against it. Let's add it. :-)
2) Can we get a note to pop up?
Note to pop up for Vanilla's "closely replicate": The original Energy Bomb is replaced with the Quirium Cascade Mine, and there are also several new pieces of equipment.
While we have the full power of HTML available for the description text, it is HTML 3.2 only. Which means no dynamic behaviour, no JavaScript. Just plain old HTML. So popup's are out of question.
3) And does it make sense to link some terms to the relevant wiki pages?
This should be doable easily. Want to try modifying this page?
https://github.com/OoliteProject/oolite ... index.html
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

hiran wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 4:37 pm
Expansions not installed and not part of the chosen flavor can eavely be ignored.
I don't know what an eavely is, but I want one.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

This should be doable easily. Want to try modifying this page?
https://github.com/OoliteProject/oolite ... index.html
I'd love to. Alas, GitHub has made it virtually impossible for me to log in...
Comments wanted:
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Someone already suggested that, and I am not against it. Let's add it. :-)
Ok, there is one more button in v0.1.33-hoopsnake.8.
Although it's not that necessary. The two other buttons show what they would do and wait for user approval, which means the user can check the list and still press Cancel.

But now it may be more clear to those asking.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Just thinking.

Might it make more sense to change the “Add” button to “Add in OXPs from previous selection”?

And change the “Replace” button to “Disable OXPs in current selection” - if I understood your explanation!
Comments wanted:
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 4:50 pm
Just thinking.

Might it make more sense to change the “Add” button to “Add in OXPs from previous selection”?

And change the “Replace” button to “Disable OXPs in current selection” - if I understood your explanation!
First of all changing the label as you suggest will make the buttons very wide. And it would not add clarity.

"Add" just adds expansions.
"Replace" removes all installed expansions, then adds those from the chosen flavor. So whatever existed before is replaced with the flavor the button belongs to.
(In practice if takes the short ut of not deleting something that would get installed afterwards again)

Play around with the buttons and you will learn quickly. If you are worried about the expansions you have, take a backup of the respective folders before playing.
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

hiran wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 6:40 pm
"Replace" removes all installed expansions, then adds those from the chosen flavor. So whatever existed before is replaced with the flavor the button belongs to.
(In practice if takes the short ut of not deleting something that would get installed afterwards again)
Can you not add tooltips when the mouse is hovering over the button?
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

phkb wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 1:15 am
hiran wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 6:40 pm
Can you not add tooltips when the mouse is hovering over the button?
Tooltips are good for one, maybe two sentences. How should set theory be explained that briefly?

Yes I can add tooltips - just am not sure about the text.