Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Enable Oolite development (2)

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Enable Oolite development (2)

Post by arquebus »

The DMG appears to be fine but I get a "damaged and cannot be opened" error when attempting to launch the application. Tested with 0.1.11-wedding.1
Here is my YouTube channel, where I play poorly: Arquebus X
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

Thank you Arquaebus.

There is a chance that this is a trust problem which I cannot resolve Your Mac simply warns you that code, downloaded from the internet, can be malicious so the file gets quarantined. It needs to be addressed on user side.

When googling for the error message you mentioned I found these pages:

https://appletoolbox.com/app-is-damaged ... pened-mac/

https://osxdaily.com/2019/02/13/fix-app ... error-mac/

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questio ... t-to-the-t

https://www.howtogeek.com/803598/app-is ... be-opened/
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

hiran wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:17 am
Thank you Arquaebus.

There is a chance that this is a trust problem which I cannot resolve Your Mac simply warns you that code, downloaded from the internet, can be malicious so the file gets quarantined. It needs to be addressed on user side.
Unfortunately that setting is no longer available with the current MacOS. The Apple-authorized workaround is supposed to be to right-click on the program and select Open (at which point it will prompt you to confirm that you want to open), but that doesn't work in this case - I still get the damaged file error.

If I get a chance I'll check using xattr
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

Testing 0.1.11-wedding1 on Windows:

- the EXE does not run, it hangs at some point and I cannot even trash the file without restarting
- the zipped version runs, however once I've pointed it at my install of Oolite I am unable to use the Active button to turn that install "on" - which means that nothing shows up in the save list or the expansion list, even after Reload.

EDIT: NEVER MIND I'M A DUM-DUM. Activate button. The checkbox is not interactive.
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

Same version:

I'm getting the error "Could not run game" when I Resume or New.
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

arquebus wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:12 pm
Testing 0.1.11-wedding1 on Windows:

- the EXE does not run, it hangs at some point and I cannot even trash the file without restarting
- the zipped version runs, however once I've pointed it at my install of Oolite I am unable to use the Active button to turn that install "on" - which means that nothing shows up in the save list or the expansion list, even after Reload.

EDIT: NEVER MIND I'M A DUM-DUM. Activate button. The checkbox is not interactive.
Lesson learned for me: The UI is not yet intuitive. I will modify it.
arquebus wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:14 pm
Same version:

I'm getting the error "Could not run game" when I Resume or New.
Hmm. Not good enough of an error message for me. There should be more on the console - but if you ran the native installer you do not see the console. So I want to create logfiles plus make the UI a bit more verbose of a possible cause.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Goodness! Up to v.0.11.2 already!

Hope to give it a bash on the morrow.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

hiran wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:20 pm
Hmm. Not good enough of an error message for me. There should be more on the console - but if you ran the native installer you do not see the console. So I want to create logfiles plus make the UI a bit more verbose of a possible cause.
Well the native installer didn't work (never installed, just hung and couldn't be closed, had no window, and no apparent process) so I do have a console. I'll try again when I get a chance and update here with the console info.
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

arquebus wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:49 am
hiran wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:20 pm
Well the native installer didn't work (never installed, just hung and couldn't be closed, had no window, and no apparent process) so I do have a console. I'll try again when I get a chance and update here with the console info.
Which native installer are you referring tto?
Windows in -wedding.1? While the installer worked quite well in my Windows 11 VM, afterwards the OoliteStarter could not start the game.
So I enhanced it to -wedding.2.

This new version should also write a logfile at $HOME/.Oolite/Logs.
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

There was an EXE download; that didn't run. So I downloaded and unpacked the ZIP version. That ran but didn't load the game. Windows, -wedding.1.
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

The -wedding.2 ZIP version works fine!

One teeny, tiny, inconsequential issue that I hesitate even to mention...

When you load a game with the starter and it comes up, your first keypress is not registered by the game. So if I load up my game and get the F5 screen, if I want to switch to the map (for example) I have to press any key once, and then I can press F6 to get the map. After the very first keypress is absorbed/ignored, everything works fine.
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

arquebus wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:53 pm
The -wedding.2 ZIP version works fine!
Geronimo! :-)

Did you test the exe download as well? It worked fine for my Windows 11 VM, including the uninstall procedure.
arquebus wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:53 pm
One teeny, tiny, inconsequential issue that I hesitate even to mention...

When you load a game with the starter and it comes up, your first keypress is not registered by the game. So if I load up my game and get the F5 screen, if I want to switch to the map (for example) I have to press any key once, and then I can press F6 to get the map. After the very first keypress is absorbed/ignored, everything works fine.
Ok. I noticed that I had to press the number twice but thought it is part of the game. Even if not normal, I would not know how to overcome this. Any idea what could be the reason for such behaviour?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Just downloaded and started OS 0.1.12-generic.zip

I remain horrendously impressed by your ability to just churn this stuff out! Phenomenal, sir!

Nice improvement to your start-up screen! (we dumb pilots appreciate such minor trivia!)

I got a notice saying
"Configuration file .... .oolite-starter.conf not found. Loading defaults."
(I presume that this is because there is no need to manually edit an oolite-starter.properties file any longer!)

Comments on GUI

Maybe rename "Installations" as "Oolite Versions" for sake of clarity?
And rename "Expansions" as "OXPs/OXZs"? (They are only ever referred to as Expansions in the name of the "Expansions Manager).

I could not work out how to configure OS 0.1.12 from inside the programme. So I had no access to saved games, my various Oolite applications or my oxps.

Most of the other buttons from 0.1.8 & 0.1.6 have disappeared!

There was also a mysterious "jLabel1" in the bottom left-hand corner of the programme screen.

When I tried to start a new game (without a link to Oolite) I got a message saying:
Could not run game
java.lang.IllegalStateException: No active installation
Terminal ReadOut:

Code: Select all

accountname@Fulls-MacBook-Air OoliteStarter-0.1.12 % ./run.sh          
~/desktop/Hiran/OoliteStarter-0.1.12 ~/desktop/Hiran/OoliteStarter-0.1.12
11:09:47.121 [main] INFO  oolite.starter.MainFrame - OoliteStarter 0.1.12  starting up...
11:09:49.435 [AWT-EventQueue-0] WARN  oolite.starter.MainFrame - Configuration file /Users/accountname/.oolite-starter.conf not found. Loading defaults.
11:22:40.224 [AWT-EventQueue-0] WARN  oolite.starter.ui.StartGamePanel - Could not update
	at oolite.starter.Configuration.getSaveGameDir(Configuration.java:237) ~[OoliteStarter-0.1.12.jar:0.1.12]
	at oolite.starter.Oolite.getSaveGames(Oolite.java:135) ~[OoliteStarter-0.1.12.jar:0.1.12]
	at oolite.starter.ui.StartGamePanel.update(StartGamePanel.java:72) ~[OoliteStarter-0.1.12.jar:0.1.12]
	at oolite.starter.ui.StartGamePanel.setOolite(StartGamePanel.java:67) ~[OoliteStarter-0.1.12.jar:0.1.12]
	at oolite.starter.MainFrame.<init>(MainFrame.java:52) ~[OoliteStarter-0.1.12.jar:0.1.12]
	at oolite.starter.MainFrame.lambda$main$0(MainFrame.java:125) ~[OoliteStarter-0.1.12.jar:0.1.12]
	at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:318) ~[?:?]
	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:771) ~[?:?]
	at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:722) ~[?:?]
	at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:716) ~[?:?]
	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(AccessController.java:399) [?:?]
	at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:86) [?:?]
	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:741) [?:?]
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:203) [?:?]
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:124) [?:?]
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:113) [?:?]
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:109) [?:?]
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:101) [?:?]
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:90) [?:?]
11:22:40.316 [AWT-EventQueue-0] DEBUG oolite.starter.ui.AnnotationRenderer - AnnotationRenderer(javax.swing.table.DefaultTableCellRenderer$UIResource[Table.cellRenderer,0,0,0x0,invalid,alignmentX=0.0,alignmentY=0.0,border=com.formdev.flatlaf.ui.FlatTableCellBorder$Default@21abe330,flags=25165832,maximumSize=,minimumSize=,preferredSize=,defaultIcon=,disabledIcon=,horizontalAlignment=LEADING,horizontalTextPosition=TRAILING,iconTextGap=4,labelFor=,text=,verticalAlignment=CENTER,verticalTextPosition=CENTER])
11:22:40.335 [AWT-EventQueue-0] WARN  oolite.starter.ui.ExpansionsPanel - Could not update
	at oolite.starter.Configuration.getAddonDirs(Configuration.java:325) ~[OoliteStarter-0.1.12.jar:0.1.12]
	at oolite.starter.Oolite.getLocalExpansions(Oolite.java:598) ~[OoliteStarter-0.1.12.jar:0.1.12]
	at oolite.starter.Oolite.getAllExpansions(Oolite.java:501) ~[OoliteStarter-0.1.12.jar:0.1.12]
	at oolite.starter.ui.ExpansionsPanel.update(ExpansionsPanel.java:169) ~[OoliteStarter-0.1.12.jar:0.1.12]
	at oolite.starter.ui.ExpansionsPanel.setOolite(ExpansionsPanel.java:160) ~[OoliteStarter-0.1.12.jar:0.1.12]
	at oolite.starter.MainFrame.<init>(MainFrame.java:56) ~[OoliteStarter-0.1.12.jar:0.1.12]
	at oolite.starter.MainFrame.lambda$main$0(MainFrame.java:125) ~[OoliteStarter-0.1.12.jar:0.1.12]
	at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:318) ~[?:?]
	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:771) ~[?:?]
	at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:86) [?:?]
	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:741) [?:?]
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:203) [?:?]
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:124) [?:?]
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:113) [?:?]
11:22:40.354 [AWT-EventQueue-0] DEBUG oolite.starter.ui.InstallationTableModel - InstallationTableModel(oolite.starter.Configuration@17af4ff3)
11:31:13.627 [AWT-EventQueue-0] ERROR oolite.starter.ui.StartGamePanel - Could not run game
	at oolite.starter.Configuration.getOoliteCommand(Configuration.java:249) ~[OoliteStarter-0.1.12.jar:0.1.12]
	at oolite.starter.Oolite.run(Oolite.java:268) ~[OoliteStarter-0.1.12.jar:0.1.12]
	at oolite.starter.ui.StartGamePanel.btNewActionPerformed(StartGamePanel.java:200) ~[OoliteStarter-0.1.12.jar:0.1.12]
	at oolite.starter.ui.StartGamePanel$3.actionPerformed(StartGamePanel.java:133) ~[OoliteStarter-0.1.12.jar:0.1.12]
	at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:1972) ~[?:?]
	at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2313) ~[?:?]
	at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:405) ~[?:?]
	at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:262) ~[?:?]
	at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(BasicButtonListener.java:279) ~[?:?]
	at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:6626) ~[?:?]
	at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3389) ~[?:?]
	at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:6391) ~[?:?]
	at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:2266) ~[?:?]
	at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:5001) ~[?:?]
	at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2324) ~[?:?]
	at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4833) ~[?:?]
	at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4948) ~[?:?]
	at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:4575) ~[?:?]
	at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:4516) ~[?:?]
	at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2310) ~[?:?]
	at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:2780) ~[?:?]
	at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4833) ~[?:?]
	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:773) ~[?:?]
	at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:86) ~[?:?]
	at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:97) ~[?:?]
	at java.awt.EventQueue$5.run(EventQueue.java:746) ~[?:?]
	at java.awt.EventQueue$5.run(EventQueue.java:744) ~[?:?]
	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:743) [?:?]
11:39:45.509 [Shutdownhook] INFO  oolite.starter.MainFrame - OoliteStarter 0.1.12  shutdown
When I clicked on "Installations" and tried "Add", things started going weird! Oolite icons started appearing all over the jolly place, but not for any of my various Oolite versions themselves, and it seemed to be impossible to select any of them. Having failed there, I did not bother with trying to add in my various oxp and saved game folders.
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:47 am

I remain horrendously impressed by your ability to just churn this stuff out! Phenomenal, sir!

Nice improvement to your start-up screen! (we dumb pilots appreciate such minor trivia!)
Thank you. But most of the credit should actually go to AnotherCommander I think. ;-)
And other ideas to improve the UI or the look and feel are highly appreciated. Don't hold back your ideas.

I got a notice saying
(I presume that this is because there is no need to manually edit an oolite-starter.properties file any longer!)
It is just a warning that would also indicate to a first-time user where such configuration is stored. Hmmm, maybe it should be shown again when the configuration is actually updated. But you are right: oolite-starter.properties is no longer required, and the configuration can be controlled via the UI so you no longer have to edit it manually. If you prefer though you still can - you know where to find the file.

Comments on GUI

And rename "Expansions" as "OXPs/OXZs"? (They are only ever referred to as Expansions in the name of the "Expansions Manager).
Easy peasy. Consider it done.

I could not work out how to configure OS 0.1.12 from inside the programme. So I had no access to saved games, my various Oolite applications or my oxps.

There was also a mysterious "jLabel1" in the bottom left-hand corner of the programme screen.
Ok, I will think about that. While I could write a (text/audio/video) tutorial I'd prefer if the UI would provide enough guidance so one of the dumb pilots you are referring to can sort it out. Am a bit surprised that so many buttons might go missing, but then it is liikely to be a cause of not having Oolite Starter properly configured. You would need to select something from the list to get the details pane, and on the details pane there are some of the buttons.

I encourage you to prove me wrong: A screenshot with "then" and "now" side by side will help my decaying memory.
When I tried to start a new game (without a link to Oolite) I got a message saying:
Could not run game
Terminal ReadOut: [...]
Thank you for these details. They are all a direct consequence of OoliteStarter not being properly configured.
Similar to the first versions where we had to setup some file locations so that OoliteStarter knew where to find and how to start Oolite, this has to be done via the GUI. But you can create multiple such file location sets - called an Installation. And one of them as to be the active one.

Translation for you:
- Add at least one Oolite Installation (press the 'Add' button, fill in the paths and click ok').
- Select that installation and click the 'Activate' button.
Now when you go back to the 'Start Game' panel and hit the run button, you should either get Oolite running or get a different error message.

Maybe one of the items that might create confusion: I ordered the tabs by how often you would need them. Not in the sequence of the next steps.
Currently a novice user would have to start at the right and end up on the left side.
When I clicked on "Installations" and tried "Add", things started going weird! Oolite icons started appearing all over the jolly place, but not for any of my various Oolite versions themselves, and it seemed to be impossible to select any of them. Having failed there, I did not bother with trying to add in my various oxp and saved game folders.
Actually by the icons OoliteStarter tries to guide you where you can find Oolite related stuff. If that is everywhere for you, maybe select one of these items and some text should appear telling you why it relates to Oolite.

There are basically only three reasons for an Oolite logo to pop up:

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

hiran wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:08 am

Thank you. But most of the credit should actually go to AnotherCommander I think. ;-)
And other ideas to improve the UI or the look and feel are highly appreciated. Don't hold back your ideas.

I got a notice saying
It is just a warning that would also indicate to a first-time user where such configuration is stored. Hmmm, maybe it should be shown again when the configuration is actually updated. But you are right: oolite-starter.properties is no longer required, and the configuration can be controlled via the UI so you no longer have to edit it manually. If you prefer though you still can - you know where to find the file.

Comments on GUI

Easy peasy. Consider it done.

Ok, I will think about that. While I could write a (text/audio/video) tutorial I'd prefer if the UI would provide enough guidance so one of the dumb pilots you are referring to can sort it out. Am a bit surprised that so many buttons might go missing, but then it is liikely to be a cause of not having Oolite Starter properly configured. You would need to select something from the list to get the details pane, and on the details pane there are some of the buttons.

I encourage you to prove me wrong: A screenshot with "then" and "now" side by side will help my decaying memory.
Could not run game
Terminal ReadOut: [...]
Thank you for these details. They are all a direct consequence of OoliteStarter not being properly configured.
Similar to the first versions where we had to setup some file locations so that OoliteStarter knew where to find and how to start Oolite, this has to be done via the GUI. But you can create multiple such file location sets - called an Installation. And one of them as to be the active one.

Translation for you:
- Add at least one Oolite Installation (press the 'Add' button, fill in the paths and click ok').
- Select that installation and click the 'Activate' button.
Now when you go back to the 'Start Game' panel and hit the run button, you should either get Oolite running or get a different error message.

Maybe one of the items that might create confusion: I ordered the tabs by how often you would need them. Not in the sequence of the next steps.
Currently a novice user would have to start at the right and end up on the left side.
Actually by the icons OoliteStarter tries to guide you where you can find Oolite related stuff. If that is everywhere for you, maybe select one of these items and some text should appear telling you why it relates to Oolite.

There are basically only three reasons for an Oolite logo to pop up:

1) the folders with the Oolite applications don't light up with the Oolite logo (a very nice touch, by the way)
2) and this might be related to the fact that when I dig around inside the Oolite game "wrapper" (if that is the right word), the application itself is invisible.

I'm using a Macbook Air with MacOS Catalina (10.15.3)
Comments wanted: