Stuff Windows 10

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Re: Stuff Windows 10

Post by UK_Eliter »

Aha.

Steve Jackson Games - that's the Jackson who was one half of, what was it, Jackson and Livingstone - the people who wrote the 'fighting fantasy' books?
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

UK_Eliter wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:27 pm
spud42 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:15 am
but you dont need to do that you can simply print the doc to a pdf file on windows. its called "Microsoft print to PDF" its a dummy printer in you drop down list of printers. it will save the file as a PDF. simple.
No. I do. Here's why. I produce documents in Word on a Windows PC and turn them into PDFs, so that, using a Linux laptop, I can project them easily (with a projector, onto a screen). The Linux laptop does have Word, but it has it in a 'Crossover' bottle and I'm having trouble installing additional software - such as printer drivers - into that bottle. Also, Microsoft's own print-to-pdf doesn't work on Word 2003. Thanks anyway!
what i am saying is that from word you can go straight to a PDF without any extra steps. you can then use that PDF on the linux laptop. i was trying to suggest one less operation in your workflow.
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by UK_Eliter »

spud, thanks for trying to help.

I do, on Windows, go straight to PDF from Word. Perhaps I didn't make that clear. It is all a bit involved (as you will now see if you can be bothered to read what follows).

- In Windows I have 2013 that can save to PDF. Thus, I have PDF files that I can, as said, project.
- But sometimes I need, on the laptop, to edit what will be projected.
- Thus - barring a PDF editor - I'd like to able to edit Word files (.doc or .docx) on the laptop and then save as PDF.
- Various non-Microsoft office suites can do this, but almost without fail they distort the documents in question.

Now,

- one of my Linux laptops does have Word 2003 on it, and I've managed to set up Word 2003 to output PDF (via a Linux pdf printer driver).

So, all is good?

- Well, that laptop is too large to carry easily; so I use another Linux laptop - a small, poor one - for projecting; and I don't have enough Word licenses to put Word on that one.

But, still, I can live without being able - on the smaller of the two laptops - to edit the slides on the go.
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

the things we have to do to get things done..lol
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Rejoice, WX users - Windows Defender will soon be able to block ransomware.
Just as more ransomware (Bad Rabbit) hits - beware spurious Flash updates*.

*If you still use Flash, that is - hateful thing!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by UK_Eliter »

Hi Cody

I don't much use Flash, but I do occasionally, so I'd like to hear more about these spurious Flash updates of which you speak. You interest me strangely . . [A Jeeves & Wooster (specifically, a Wooster) -ism.]
Cody

Post by Cody »

Watership Downtime at El Reg (the BBC is also covering it).
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by UK_Eliter »

Thanks. There's such much malware these days that I wonder whether, on Windows, I should go back to running more than minimal real-time protection (aside from various browser addOns, that I do have). I might even need something (aside from the aforementioned addOns, together with security patches and a firewall) for Linux.
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Alex »

First. Under falling over water effect!

But really. For a bunch of TDM educated people. Your still fighting the total uselessness of Win10 and it's running 'upgrade'.
8 pages here and still.. Shake me head in wonderment.
Isn't there a "Do Not Look For Upgrade" toggle?

I still run doze7 SP1 from a CD install, untill I load TDM with too much rubbish. 4 times so far. Then do a reformat. First thing I do is tell it, Do Not Upgrade.
Runs great till I add my stoopid stuff. And of course forget, then upgrade..

Obviously, Newer does not mean better. Neither does older. Though older and working means there are a few kinks worked out. Ask any married couple of +10 years.

Yes I remember brass pennies and their worth. That was mine.
Anyone remember spending a Farthing? 0.25 of a Penny.
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
If you do not see "Press Space" more often than you want.. Your not trying!
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

Alex wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:44 am
no, doesnt mean it cant be stopped though. you have to disable the service through services.msc amoung many other things to make win 10 work the way you want and not the way M$ wants...
OR i could go with
or simply
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Alex »

spud42 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:16 am
Alex wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:44 am
no, doesnt mean it cant be stopped though. you have to disable the service through services.msc amoung many other things to make win 10 work the way you want and not the way M$ wants...
Now that's an answer.

More detail might be good for dozeX oops users.

I wouldn't touch the 10, even with your understandingly long barge pole. Way to many hidden exe's

I like the KISS principal. Keep It Simple Stupid.
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
If you do not see "Press Space" more often than you want.. Your not trying!
pleiadian
Deadly
Deadly

Post by pleiadian »

I only need to touch Windows 10 at work. While you have to cut them some slack for the attempt to bring back the Start menu, it still feels alien and it's not something I'd like to use in my normal life. Of course you can install things like ClassicShell to bring back the "real" experience, but this isn't the point. As far as I understood it, Microsoft simply pumps out updates to the OS - whether you like it or not. The idea behind it is to make Windows a SaaS. Eventually they'd like to call it just "Windows", without a version number - they feel it irrelevant. If I get it correctly, Windows should move into a rolling release model, similar to Arch Linux.

So the answer is no - I don't think you can turn this automatic push of updates off, especially not in the new Creator's Update. Have not seen anything (except disconnect your cable or run in Airplane Mode).

My OS of choice right now is Elementary OS. For me, this is how an OS should be. Simple, no bloat, flexible, and enormously powerful. And free.
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

windows key and r
type in "services.msc" without quotes...
scroll down towards the bottom you will see " windows update" right click on it then click "properties"
then change startup type to " disabled"
then while you are in there turn off all remote desktop, remote registry, secondary login as a start.... plenty of youtube videos on how to turn excess stuff off...
OR i could go with
or simply
pleiadian
Deadly
Deadly

Post by pleiadian »

This may work now but the plan is to force these updates on to you.

// EDIT:
With a true user-centric software and/or operating system, you shouldn't have to enter into system internals to turn these things off. You should be given the choice whether you want it or not.
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

who ever thought any version of windows was "user centric "? lol remember the lawsuits when they integrated IE into windows ? try disabling cortana now.... with the updates they have embedded it so deep that the whole start menu will not work at all if you do try to disable it.
OR i could go with
or simply