Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Quote of the week!

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Re: Quote of the week!

Post by UK_Eliter »

Cody wrote:
Seeing as how some have complained about 1.80, perhaps Oolite: Too Dangerous would suit.
Good joke - as was the 'mostly harmless'.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

synchromesh wrote:
Mike Evans wrote:
I don't think any of the design team has ever played Oolite
WHAT !!!
Its only the best game remake that ever did the original justice......
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

vjek wrote:
Mike Evans wrote:
I don't think any of the design team has ever played Oolite
Well that's frightening and enlightening at the same time.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

efb wrote:
how come oolite can manage to run an offline market system?
:mrgreen: :lol:
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Where do I find that remark from Mike Evans in its context, I could use a good chuckle? And what is it about human nature that makes us find people obviously lying to be amusing?
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Diziet Sma wrote:
efb wrote:
how come oolite can manage to run an offline market system?
:mrgreen: :lol:
In fairness, "roll some random numbers and hope that no-one notices the prices change faster on the 20 minute round trip between two close systems than they do on the 30 minutes it takes to get down the spacelane..." is pushing the definition of "run".

New Cargoes does have dynamic and persistent market collapses (in both supply and demand) that can react to player actions ... but the size of the eight charts is such that actually noticing them might be tricky.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

cim wrote:
In fairness, "roll some random numbers and hope that no-one notices the prices change faster on the 20 minute round trip between two close systems than they do on the 30 minutes it takes to get down the spacelane..." is pushing the definition of "run".
Very true.. I just found the post amusing in its plaintiveness.. :mrgreen:

Didn't have the heart to tell him just how basic the core Oolite market system really is.. what FD have done is several orders of magnitude more complex.
Wildeblood wrote:
Where do I find that remark from Mike Evans in its context, I could use a good chuckle?
See this thread; "ED is OOlite".
Wildeblood wrote:
And what is it about human nature that makes us find people obviously lying to be amusing?
Dunno.. but I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be the one factor that keeps politicians alive and healthy.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Rolling random numbers is all that is required to simulate real world markets, cim. IRL market prices follow a random walk, they are determined by the actions of people, but they are not deterministic. Game creators adding more complication to their attempts to "simulate" markets are just wasting their time.

Thanks, Dizzy. I found the link you posted in the other thread after I asked.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Wildeblood wrote:
Where do I find that remark from Mike Evans in its context, I could use a good chuckle?
See this thread; "ED is OOlite".
Interesting read, and of course I was delighted to see this post :)
<Thanks for the plug, Geraldine>
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

I'd never looked at the Frontier forums until a week ago, but from what I've read this week they seem to be mostly dickheads. It's a bit of a lesson in environment/expectations shaping behaviour, too: I see at least one poster who is well-behaved on the Limit Theory forum being a dickhead on the Frontier forum.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Wildeblood wrote:
I'd never looked at the Frontier forums until a week ago, but from what I've read this week they seem to be mostly dickheads. It's a bit of a lesson in environment/expectations shaping behaviour, too: I see at least one poster who is well-behaved on the Limit Theory forum being a dickhead on the Frontier forum.
Well, it's gone downhill quite a bit of late.. it wasn't always anything like that bad, though there were always a few prats.

The rot seemed to really take off after the underhanded way the cancellation of offline mode was handled. Couple that with the slowly dawning realisation that many features promised for launch were going to be absent, and "added later", and that what features are in, are often "bare minimum" versions of what had actually been promised, and the scene was set for a steadily mounting outpouring of anger on one side, and rabid fanboi-ism on the other. Many of the forum members themselves are quite vocally dismayed at the recent toxic atmosphere in the forum. The game is clearly being rushed to market before it's really ready, and a look at the public financials for the company reveals why, and why, around a year ago, they had to commit to a pre 2014 xmas release.

Many die-hard fans have now realised that FD's word on what's in, and what's not, is actually worth very little, and FD has lost a huge amount of goodwill over the entire mess, and the way it's been mishandled, all of which has spilled over into the tone of the forum. It's no different than any workplace.. if the atmosphere is toxic, if morale is low, and attitudes are bad, don't look to the rank and file for the cause, take a good hard look at upper management.. because shit always flows downhill.

Hopefully, after release, FD can start to make good on all the things that ought to have been in the game before it was released.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Wildeblood wrote:
Rolling random numbers is all that is required to simulate real world markets, cim. IRL market prices follow a random walk, they are determined by the actions of people, but they are not deterministic. Game creators adding more complication to their attempts to "simulate" markets are just wasting their time.
Amen! And there's the issue of scale, too: the chance that the arrival of one shipload of stuff would affect the planetary market price is pretty slim.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Wildeblood wrote:
There's a level of complication in terms of what the output of the random numbers does that needs to be there. Oolite's trading would be very different if, for example, the system economy number wasn't used to weight the output of the random step.
Disembodied wrote:
Amen! And there's the issue of scale, too: the chance that the arrival of one shipload of stuff would affect the planetary market price is pretty slim.
In Oolite where the minimum planet population is still most of a billion, possibly. In Elite Dangerous where the minimum measurable system population is around a thousand? A single big freighter could probably carry everything they needed for the year except for food, water and oxygen. Maybe those too, if it was big enough.

Also it depends what trade goods you pick: spin something like Osmium or another rare heavy metal out of Minerals or Alloys as a distinct good, and an Adder can carry enough in its hold to supply 21st century Earth for over a year.
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

cim wrote:
Disembodied wrote:
In Oolite where the minimum planet population is still most of a billion, possibly. In Elite Dangerous where the minimum measurable system population is around a thousand? A single big freighter could probably carry everything they needed for the year except for food, water and oxygen. Maybe those too, if it was big enough.

Also it depends what trade goods you pick: spin something like Osmium or another rare heavy metal out of Minerals or Alloys as a distinct good, and an Adder can carry enough in its hold to supply 21st century Earth for over a year.
There are some big systems.
System with most Inhabitants (federation) - G 203-47 with a population of 31.6 Billion
System with most Inhabitants (alliance) - He Bo with a population of 24.4 Billion
System with most Inhabitants (independent) - Aeternitas with a population of 18.6 Billion
System with most Inhaditants (empire) - Ch'Eng with a population of 20.0 Billion
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

from what I am reading here about the FD forums I am glad I have stayed away. For me Cody summed most of the posts in one word that still has me chuckling ... "commentards"!
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"