Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Replacement of the basic ship set - building a dream team.

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

ramon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ramon »

Just so I've got something to post - (very) early pic of the work I'm doing on the anaconda. (blow off the cargo bay door in the game and you'll be able to see the cargo hold inside).

Last edited by ramon on Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

ramon wrote:
Whoa, dude! Check out those bigass mega-exhausts, man. "Pimp My 'Conda!"

Captain Hesperus
"Oh, dear Giles. He's at it again!"
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

Again I find myself wishing for subentity deathactions or AI
In order to messageMother: CARGOBLOWN
AIMother:
CARGOBLOWN = ejectCargo

Which would eject a nice stream of cargo from the hold, should you define the ejectposition inside the cargohatch. :D

To throw a bad egg: (sorry)
The ship does look very unbalanced though...I imagine it would fly in loopings as the thrust vector is not along the axis of the craft (or its centre of mass for that matter)
Riding the Rocket!
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

crikey!

how many vertices were needed to get the exhausts that good? or is that the benefits of the SMOOTHING command?

she looks like a surprised caterpillar in that second shot :-)
ramon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ramon »

Arexack_Heretic wrote:
should you define the ejectposition inside the cargohatch. :D
Yeah good idea, not sure if the cargo pods inside will be to the same scale as those ejected though, I've not looked at the model of the cargo pod yet.
Arexack_Heretic wrote:
To throw a bad egg: (sorry)
The ship does look very unbalanced though...I imagine it would fly in loopings as the thrust vector is not along the axis of the craft (or its centre of mass for that matter)
You're quite right, the boosters are way too big at the moment and stick out too far. I'm more pleased with the chamfering of the edges of the main ship but if I'd just posted that people might not have even noticed. I'm working on quite a radical change today which (hopefully) I'll post this evening - if it's to everyones liking I'll carry on with it, otherwise back to the drawing board.
Killer Wolf wrote:
how many vertices were needed to get the exhausts that good? or is that the benefits of the SMOOTHING command?
The boosters are only about 120-160 faces (16 sides). It's the smoothing command which has them looking like that - although the picture you see is a render from MAX and I'm not sure if Oolite will handle the smoothing quite as well. (Although (again) it was because of MAX that Giles wrote the smoothing command in the first place)
CaptKev
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptKev »

ramon wrote:
Those exhausts would make excellent laser cannons too.
Download Fighter HUD, Stingray and System Redux from the EliteWiki
ramon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ramon »

better?

I should be getting my scifi textures from http://www.3dtotal.com/ tomorrow or Monday, then I can texture this ship up a beauty.
Captain Hesperus

@ramon - If I weren't a man and already married, I'd marry you. I want an Anaconda <looks up Anaconda stats>, then again, maybe not.

Good job, tho'!

Captain Hesperus
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

For some reason, I particularly like the recessed windows. They look like something from the 70s or 80s, not the “streamlined” space ships you see too much of these days. Very appropriate.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Oh, this might be a little anal-retentive, but while the replacement project is in its early stages you might want to consider conventions for things like position lights.
ramon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ramon »

quite right too. I'm not a fan of the new streamlined look either.

Anyway....more detail needs adding so let's open up the debate again: Do I add in things like fuel scoops & escape pods (even though the actual ship may not have one).
Also on the smaller ships should I put missiles on the outside - ala frontier, or keep them inside. My preference on missles - inside, but as for fuel scoops - outside (if a ship doesn't have a fuel scoop installed you could always say that's where it goes - a bit like spare slots for hard drives & cd players on a PC?)

EDIT: Agree about the lights too. Already had that in mind.
Last edited by ramon on Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ramirez
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ramirez »

That really does look the business, Ramon. I like what you've done on the edges - I was playing around with a Mamba trying to give it the DW Cobra treatment and I ended up doing something similar. It makes the model that bit more interesting without adding too many extra polys. I've also discovered the fun of recessed windows - they're quite easy to do yet again it makes the model more interesting.
Download Resistance Commander plus many other exciting OXPs HERE
ramon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ramon »

:D I'm glad you noticed the edges, I think that's the best bit even though it's only a subtle change. I'd love to see your Mamba, I'm a big fan of your work so post it up here....please.
Captain Hesperus

ramon wrote:
Anyway....more detail needs adding so let's open up the debate again: Do I add in things like fuel scoops & escape pods (even though the actual ship may not have one).
If you do put escape pods on, can you model multiple pods? It seems a bit odd that there is a huge ship like an Anaconda, where crew might be scattered across it's length and breadth, but yet when it dies, only one pod kicks free, simply because only one pod can be installed. If one pod is a concrete limit then it's gonna be a bit of a squeeze if it's an identical pod that's fitted to a Cobra Mk. III
ramon wrote:
Also on the smaller ships should I put missiles on the outside - ala frontier, or keep them inside. My preference on missles - inside, but as for fuel scoops - outside (if a ship doesn't have a fuel scoop installed you could always say that's where it goes - a bit like spare slots for hard drives & cd players on a PC?)
Yeah! That'd be great, to be able to see missiles racked up under a light fighter's hull, while something frigate-sized has room to spare to store them internally. Running lights would be a good addition, kind of like a long range visual identification system.

Captain Hesperus
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

Looks good, Ramon! :)

Would it be too much to ask to scale the model up from what the present Oolite/Elite Anaconda is? To make it as big as the cargo hold size would suggest? :?

I'd love to see this project also take another look at the ship sizes and resizing them as necessary... :)
Author of Tales from the Frontier - official Elite 4 anthology.
Author of Marcan Rayger adventures - unofficial fan-fic novellas set in the Frontier universe.