Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

RFC: Fancy classics

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Simon B
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Simon B »

The images in post #1 have been updated to the final versions - and I've deleted the pics of the prototypes, which means some images in previous posts are broken.

Now the skins are done, the oxp ain't far behind.
Here's a comparison shot:

@Ahruman - re: poly limits.... now he tells me! All the models are under 800 polys. The neoboa main body was about 600 so I cut it and didn't need to!

But that's good news for those fancy designs - I can easily disguise the cut at the nacelle intersection ... giving three entities. Errr... I suppose I'd better finish the current project first...
Simon Bridge
[re2dux] [neolite]
"Everything is perfect down to every last flaw..."
HBT: The Book of Verse - Principia Discordia
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

This shows scale in a great way - I still like the python the best.
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Simon B
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Simon B »

The Python was always the best ship of the three anyway.

The preview OXP is ready :neolite.oxp.tar.gz 1.6MiB - flat textures only, no special effects. However, there is a sources directory in there, containing the wavefront files.

Caveat: in keeping with previous announcements - the neo-ships replace the present ships, with slight improvements to stats (usually about x1.5, and concentrating on the feel of flying the ship rather than the usual speed and power.)

The standard ships are still there, with reduced chance of appearing, and a higher price, labelled "Classic" and represent an enthusiasts restoration job. Suggest this OXP be added alongside Second Hand Ships.
Simon Bridge
[re2dux] [neolite]
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Simon B wrote:
@Ahruman - re: poly limits.... now he tells me!
Oi! I told you last week. :-)
Simon B
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Simon B »

Is it worth adding "cruiser class" versions?
Technically, the neoboa is the upgrade from the boa class cruiser, and cruiser classes for Anaconda and Python are not classical/canon.

OTOH: pushing the poly count can create some very sleek forms from the models.

There are existing OXPs for anaconda and python class cruisers too - how careful should I be to avoid treading on someone elses oxp-toes?
Simon Bridge
[re2dux] [neolite]
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Ahruman wrote:
wackyman465 wrote:
Yup. I've wondered whether there's a way to convert sketchup files to an oolite-supported model?
According to this, you can import KMZ files (which SketchUp can export) into Blender, which can then export OBJ, which can be converted with the Oolite mesh converter scripts.
The potential for conversion-cock-up is legion... :)
Indeed. I sometimes try to re-convert Oolite models to Wings, using DryDock to convert from dat to obj. After import to Wings the model usually ends up inverted, or somesuch... :?
Simon B
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Simon B »

Ahruman wrote:
Simon B wrote:
@Ahruman - re: poly limits.... now he tells me!
Oi! I told you last week. :-)
Heh - you told me that it would be a non-issue in 1.73 ... not that I can currently get away with 800!

Hmmm.... I think ubuntu is still struggling along with 1.65 in the deb, I can canfirm later, if say, 1.71 can be formally labelled "stable" someplace official-looking, the maintainer may feel motivated to update. Or has that happened already while I've been busy?
Simon Bridge
[re2dux] [neolite]
Simon B
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Simon B »

Commander McLane wrote:
Indeed. I sometimes try to re-convert Oolite models to Wings, using DryDock to convert from dat to obj. After import to Wings the model usually ends up inverted, or somesuch... :?
Well oolite seems to invert along the x axis anyway - you are probably just experiencing a faithful conversion.

Oolite seems to use a left-handed coordinate system...

But lets not stray too far OT ;)
Simon Bridge
[re2dux] [neolite]
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Simon B wrote:
Hmmm.... I think ubuntu is still struggling along with 1.65 in the deb, I can canfirm later, if say, 1.71 can be formally labelled "stable" someplace official-looking, the maintainer may feel motivated to update. Or has that happened already while I've been busy?
The problem is that 1.71 is not officially stable. I would also like to see people starting to move away from 1.65, but labeling an arbitrary release as stable is not going to help, in my opinion. We will need to come up with a proper stable version first.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Lovely job on those big ships, Simon!

Now, should we call these the "Dream Team" versions of the classics or do i go into competition with Simon...?
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

1.71 is stable enough. There's plenty more "stable" software out the that's buggier than 1.72.1, even.
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Simon B
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Simon B »

wackyman465 wrote:
1.71 is stable enough. There's plenty more "stable" software out the that's buggier than 1.72.1, even.
This is my thinking, especially considering that Ubuntu users are used to odd stuff.

(checked: the Ubuntu repo version is 1.65-6)

- shall we start a new thread to discuss (further) which is the most recent "stable" version? Thus we can keep this space to discuss sexing up the classic ships.

And with that in mind...
The gauntlet has been thrown to do this with the lot of them. So which ones should be next?
Simon Bridge
[re2dux] [neolite]
Simon B
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Simon B »

Selezen wrote:
Lovely job on those big ships, Simon!

Now, should we call these the "Dream Team" versions of the classics or do I go into competition with Simon...?
Hmmm... a merger?

What I really need is a scripter - though I'll do it if I get there first - for the Boa Skiff. Ahruman has already pointed the way.
Simon Bridge
[re2dux] [neolite]
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Simon B wrote:
Well oolite seems to invert along the x axis anyway - you are probably just experiencing a faithful conversion.

Oolite seems to use a left-handed coordinate system...
Correct. The current converter scripts take this into account, earlier versions didn’t. (Where are people getting their earlier versions from these days?)

Presumably Dry Dock fails to make this correction when exporting Obj. It’s being rewritten now anyway.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

wackyman465 wrote:
1.71 is stable enough.
No. Oolite is currently not feature-stable, i.e. we are not in a position to guarantee that current features will continue to be supported in future releases. With 1.72, we’re pretty close, though.

Apart from that, there are a bunch of bugs that need fixing. 1.7x is less prone to diverse random crashes than 1.65, but has a lot of wrong behaviours.