Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

What's the best way to make money fast?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sendraks »

Loxley wrote:
Max your cargo reputation and you'll start to see 50,000 contracts regularly, if you're lucky you may even see the odd 100,000+ deal advertised.
And a lot of these high end contracts are for gems, gold and platinum. Even when the contract is for you to shift thousands of units, you can still fit the shipment into a much smaller craft with a modest payload.

At which point, you can ditch the big hauler and go for something smaller and faster.
RusJameson
Average
Average

Re: What's the best way to make money fast?

Post by RusJameson »

Royal Hunting Lodge OXP offers "duels" in Feudal Systems, which gives opportunity to earn 100 000 in 5 minutes - its so easy that its almost a cheat.
Just find 10:1 odds competition, make a 10 000 stake, win your opponent (its very easy on Mark III + military laser), and get your 100.000 cr. Repeat as many times as you want :D
Bogatyr
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bogatyr »

RusJameson wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:24 pm
Royal Hunting Lodge OXP offers "duels" in Feudal Systems, which gives opportunity to earn 100 000 in 5 minutes - its so easy that its almost a cheat.
Just find 10:1 odds competition, make a 10 000 stake, win your opponent (its very easy on Mark III + military laser), and get your 100.000 cr. Repeat as many times as you want :D
I did the same a few years ago for a few games and found the resulting games boring. No middle-game challenge, move immediately to your dream ship and load-out maxed with the most specialty high-end equipment. I stopped installing the Feudal states after that.
Astrobe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Astrobe »

Bogatyr wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:39 am
I did the same a few years ago for a few games and found the resulting games boring. No middle-game challenge, move immediately to your dream ship and load-out maxed with the most specialty high-end equipment. I stopped installing the Feudal states after that.
Do you think it would work if the rewards were more reasonable? I'm thinking that when you're on a ship with little to no trading capability (besides the "small commodities") your main option is to run everyone's errands (i.e. parcel&pax contracts), so turning it into a source of little revenue to grab en passant (perhaps around 100Cr) could make it interesting for Adder-starters (and less immoral for others)?
Bogatyr
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bogatyr »

Astrobe wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:10 pm
Bogatyr wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:39 am
Do you think it would work if the rewards were more reasonable? I'm thinking that when you're on a ship with little to no trading capability (besides the "small commodities") your main option is to run everyone's errands (i.e. parcel&pax contracts), so turning it into a source of little revenue to grab en passant (perhaps around 100Cr) could make it interesting for Adder-starters (and less immoral for others)?
Probably.... that, and the fights more interesting. The pilot AI on the duelers is pretty weak.