Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Do you want to try out trunk, but can't compile it yourself?

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Why have you downloaded this installer?

I want to test the OXP I'm making.
8%
I want to help with debugging the game/an OXP.
10%
I'm curious to see what all the fuss is about.
18%
I'm too impatient to wait for the 1.73 release. I just wanna play the latest and greatest.
26%
I haven't downloaded it, or, I can build it myself
33%
Other
5%

Total votes: 39

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Have you tried? Really, really tried? Don't take the lazy easy way out and get my installer before you even give it a go. There are lots of threads on the topic, and lots of help available if you have problems.. I strongly suggest you give it a go, even if you're not much of a tekernologikal kind of person... you might surprise yourself, and maybe even learn some stuff.. it's not really as hard as it looks! :D

However...

If you really would like to try out trunk, or maybe test your spiffy new OXP against trunk but can't compile it yourself, well, for all those with a Windows OS at least, there is now a solution.. you can download an installer from Getafix's Nightly Windows Build site. The installer has been customised in order that the development version will live alongside your standard install of Oolite without conflict.

!! WARNING !!

THIS IS NOT AN OFFICIALLY APPROVED INSTALLER!
YOU USE IT ENTIRELY AT YOUR OWN RISK!

This installer has been built from the development ('trunk') source-code of Oolite. Changes are made daily to the trunk code, which may result in broken features, crashes, or even a non-working program. It is not intended for day-to-day gameplay, its proper purpose is for testing and bug-fixing. If you just want to play Oolite, I recommend that you use the standard installer. The primary purpose in providing this installer purpose is to enable OXP developers who cannot compile trunk to test their OXPs against the latest development version.. A secondary purpose is to make it possible for those who are unable to compile the source-code themselves to see and try out the latest features under development. By downloading and installing this program, you explicitly accept all responsibility for anything that goes wrong. If your monitor explodes, your hard-drive melts, your hair catches fire or your cat becomes pregnant as a result of installing this program, it is NOT MY FAULT!

Now.. having gotten that out of the way, just what can you expect?

This installer is designed to co-exist peacefully alongside a standard installation of Oolite. It has separate Start-Menu entries, a different install location and its own un-installer. Game-saves, settings and addons (OXPs) are likewise separate from and independent of the standard Oolite installation. It works just fine on my computer. Your mileage may vary. See warning above. By default, it installs to C:\Oolite-Trunk\. You will need to install any OXPs you wish to use into C:\Oolite-Trunk\AddOns\. To run the trunk version, go to Start>All Programs>Oolite-Trunk>Oolite.

The latest changes are incorporated into a automatically generated build created each night. See the the thread here for details. Alternatively, you can go direct to http://www.terrastorage.ath.cx/oolite/status_win32.html to obtain it.
Last edited by Diziet Sma on Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:34 am, edited 121 times in total.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Good job, Diziet Sma! Just tried it - and it plays smooth :-)
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

you are missing options in the vote

I have not downloaded the installer...

&

I have the means to make a local build...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Those probably count as one reply.. so I added it that way. :lol:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Davidtq
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Davidtq »

I once gave compiling from trunk a go, but ran into some problems with the one guide I tried following, something wasnt happy with vista 64 and I didnt have the spare time to figure it out. This installer has given me a chance to test out trunk.
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

I have the same issue as Davidtq - I probably have enough technical skill to do a build with the instructions, but I have Vista x64, and didn't feel comfortable enough trying to sort out the altered steps / additional changes.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Thanks for updating it, Diziet.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Svengali wrote:
Thanks for updating it, Diziet.
You're welcome.. :D for almost a week now I've been updating it every day (being on vacation atm helps!) but in about a week I'm off to the Philippines for 3 weeks, so updates will be a bit thin on the ground then.. though I'm hoping to be able to set up a remote connection so I can log in to my dev machine while I'm away. If it works as planned I will be able to do 1 or 2 builds a week until I get back. In any case, updates will be notified here, as usual.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Diziet Sma wrote:
...so updates will be a bit thin on the ground then.. though I'm hoping to be able to set up a remote connection so I can log in to my dev machine while I'm away. If it works as planned I will be able to do 1 or 2 builds a week until I get back.
You are crazy, man :P Have a good time there - and come back in one piece.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Well... that is, of course, assuming my fiancée even lets me near a computer! :wink: :D :D
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

** Deleted outdated post **
Last edited by Diziet Sma on Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

:-) It seems you have found a computer :-)
Thanks a lot, Diziet.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

** Deleted outdated post **
Last edited by Diziet Sma on Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

You're faster than my downloads :shock:
Thx a lot!!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Svengali wrote:
You're faster than my downloads :shock:
Thx a lot!!
20 seconds to update the source, 5 minutes to compile, about the same to build the installer, 1 minute to update the webpage and 13 - 15 minutes to upload it all... :D

This is what I use to get the most from my download bandwidth..