Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Speed up, slow down, fire, ergonomic hell!

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Mister Nipples
Poor
Poor

Speed up, slow down, fire, ergonomic hell!

Post by Mister Nipples »

Hello. First post! BRILLIANT FIND and BRILLIANT GAME - THANK YOU for this, I also lost E-TNK due to computer death after it got pulled. What an improvement on Christian's baby guys, exellent.

My signature speaks for itself. Lens-Lok was a bitch!

I have to ask - is there any way to redefine the keys?

Ergonomically the W/S/A config for accelerate/decelerate/fire is a disaster for my adult fingers. I keep slurping onto tab and other keys and have to take a look to reposition every time I stray.

The 's' key doesn't appear to be used in flight.

Is there an option in the game to change the keys to make 's' and 'x' accelerate and decelerate?

OMG - had to edit - It's Christian, not Jason!!! Doh! I knew that, honest!
The blue and yellow lines glistened in anticipation but later my eyes welled with tears many times. Outrage took control. What is this Lens-Lok contraption?
Commander Mysenses
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Devon, a backward little planet scourged by evil weather

Post by Commander Mysenses »

Read this

Edit at will (VIM editor is handy)
Mister Nipples
Poor
Poor

Post by Mister Nipples »

Thanks Mysenses, I recognise the concept of what I saw in the link but I am not a tech head, so what can I do?

Can you instruct a new found Elite...ist moron?
The blue and yellow lines glistened in anticipation but later my eyes welled with tears many times. Outrage took control. What is this Lens-Lok contraption?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

In [OoliteInstallDir]\oolite.app\Resources\Config, you can find a file called keyconfig.plist. First you may want to make a backup of this file, in case something unexpected happens. Open keyconfig.plist with a text editor and you will see this:

Code: Select all

{
	key_roll_left				= 253;		// left arrow
	key_roll_right				= 252;		// right arrow
	key_pitch_forward			= 255;		// up arrow
	key_pitch_back				= 254;		// down arrow
	key_yaw_left				= ",";
	key_yaw_right				= ".";

key_increase_speed			= "w";
	key_decrease_speed			= "s";
	key_inject_fuel				= "i";
(more stuff follows)
You are interested in changing the key_increase_speed and key_decrease_speed from "w" and "s" to "s" and "x". Apply the change, save the file and restart Oolite.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Welcome Mr. Nipples. If you see a little red dot on your chest please ignore it - I'm sure now you've posted the twitchers in the clock tower will put their rifles down (you know who you are...)

And in case you're confused: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=2513&start=1155 Those guys still haven't got over the great spam war of 2007...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Mister Nipples
Poor
Poor

Post by Mister Nipples »

OK found the file but it doesn't name the keys, only integers. So if INC = 119 and DEC = 115 and I change the former to 115 what is the latter INT value for key 'x'?

Thanks in advance!
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Welcome Mr. Nipples. If you see a little red dot on your chest please ignore it - I'm sure now you've posted the twitchers in the clock tower will put their rifles down (you know who you are...)

And in case you're confused: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=2513&start=1155 Those guys still haven't got over the great spam war of 2007...
Erm... :oops: </me locks FlAK 88mm's safety>
Welcome to The Friendliest Boards This Side of Riedquat... friendly except to :evil: spambots :evil: , that is.

Other than that, here you'll find the finest collection of traders, miners, bounty hunters, explorers and coders, along with the some of the very best among their less ethical counterparts - smugglers, con-artists, pirates, assassins and, of course, hackers.
Whatever may your skills be, you're welcome to contribute either by coding, test-playing and bug-reporting, or simply by posting your thoughts and opinions on any subject.
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Mister Nipples wrote:
OK found the file but it doesn't name the keys, only integers. So if INC = 119 and DEC = 115 and I change the former to 115 what is the latter INT value for key 'x'?

Thanks in advance!

Greetings,

ASCII keycodes are your trumble here. Just look up a table on the net, for example here. x is 120 (note that it's case sensitive, as you can use the shift key to give each keyboard key two actions). The older versions use the codes rather than the keys themselves (at least on the PC, comparing V1.65 to the new test code)
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Thargoid is right. I somehow assumed automatically that you are running the latest version (and, in my very humble opinion, you should) and that your OS is Windows. If you are running indeed Windows, then the keyconfig.plist file for the 1.65 version is found in [OoliteInstallDir]\oolite.app\Contents\Resources\Config and the value for x is, as mentioned, 120.
Mister Nipples
Poor
Poor

Post by Mister Nipples »

Right on commanders, I have my configuration, no more twisted digits.

To Mr another_commander I have to say I only saw version 1.65 on the website so thats what I downloaded. I shall keep an eye out for new versions from time to time.
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Check the Oolite-PC, Mac or Linux forum and follow the announcement links.
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
Amen Brick
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Amen Brick »

I may change the keys myself. Amount of times I've shot something unfortunate while trying to self dock is countless.