BigShips changing Behemoth AI?

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Poro
Deadly
Deadly

BigShips changing Behemoth AI?

Post by Poro »

I've had the Behemoth OXP installed for a while now, and one of the recommended techiniques for docking with the Behemoth was to sit in front of it and 'let' it scoop you into its docking bay.

I have now installed the Orisis OXP which requires Big Ships OXP to also be installed. I read something about the Big Ships OXP changing the way that the ships alter their course to avoid collision. Is this true? I ask because I now find that I cannot dock with a Behemoth. I know it's not supposed to be easy - but it simply turns away every time I get even close to it's docking bay.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Re: BigShips changing Behemoth AI?

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Poro wrote:
I've had the Behemoth OXP installed for a while now, and one of the recommended techiniques for docking with the Behemoth was to sit in front of it and 'let' it scoop you into its docking bay.

I have now installed the Orisis OXP which requires Big Ships OXP to also be installed. I read something about the Big Ships OXP changing the way that the ships alter their course to avoid collision. Is this true? I ask because I now find that I cannot dock with a Behemoth. I know it's not supposed to be easy - but it simply turns away every time I get even close to it's docking bay.
I thought you had to target it and then request docking which brings it to a halt? This is how it used to work - but as you say BigShips may have altered this.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
I thought you had to target it and then request docking which brings it to a halt? This is how it used to work - but as you say BigShips may have altered this.
Daddy's right. You have to request docking (on my install its SHIFT-L). Or use the docking computer and that takes care of the requests etc.

Not docked with a behemoth for some time though, since I installed a few other big ships I've not seen so many.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Poro
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Poro »

I should have mentioned that I had tried SHIFT+L, but no luck (although the "Come on in commander!" message did display). Also, I have not tried with a docking computer yet.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Poro wrote:
I should have mentioned that I had tried SHIFT+L, but no luck (although the "Come on in commander!" message did display). Also, I have not tried with a docking computer yet.
The one thing to note when using a docking computer is that the fast-dock doesn't work. Slow dock only (SHIFT-C).
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Of course the docking computer isn't the greatest. I couldn't be bothered yesterday and docked on a Super Bulk Hauler using injectors!! :wink: :twisted:
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

BigShips just provides a new role (bigTrader) and a populator to spawn them. It doesn't change any existing ships if they are spawned by another role.

It may be that if Behemoth has the bigTrader role in its role-set then it could be spawned by the OXP's populator and perhaps doing other things if it's scripted to do so, but that shouldn't affect docking with the ship.

All Bigships does is try to prevent oversized ships themselves trying to dock with stations and other places that are too small to accept them.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Poro wrote:
I've had the Behemoth OXP installed for a while now, and one of the recommended techiniques for docking with the Behemoth was to sit in front of it and 'let' it scoop you into its docking bay..
That was only true for the original behemoth.oxp. That one headed for the planet (or witchpoint) without bothering if something was on its course.
The current oxp checks if it is likely to hit an object when just patrolling. And if so, it tries to avoid collisions.

The only way to safely dock, is using the docking computer, or catch the Behemoth when it is stationary for receiving its fighters.

Starting with Oolite 1.74 you will be able to request permission by pressing shift-L. With 1.73 you also get permission this way, but carriers don't react by stopping. In the next version all carriers that already stop when a npc asks docking permission, will also stop for a player by pressing shift-L.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

By the way: you don't need to rely on your docking computer. Usually it should be enough to press SHIFT-C twice. The first press activates the docking computer and causes your target to stop. The second press returns control to you. Now your target will start to move again, but that takes usually a couple of seconds, which should be enough to slip in. Note: You have to be already well positioned in front of your target's docking bay for this method to work.
Poro
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Poro »

Thanks for the responses and info guys.