TL and Station Types (Cori, Dodo, Ico)

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

They are consistent between games, but they are generated from a small set of words that are "randomly" strung together. The randomnes is done using a seed so it is reproducible.

This does mean that there is not much variation, but practically it is the same as them beig hard coded for each system.

EDIT: I am talking about planet descriptions and that they are "quasy-random".
JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JeffBTX »

CMDR James;

Thanks;

BTW I should correct myself, in my previous post I said:
At present, I am running and archiving a series of games under Vanilla Oolite, NO OXPs. Whenever I work to doing my goals (ultimately, simply the native missions), I use those savegames and back them up. They are archived and "closed" when certain situations occur. OXPs are NOT loaded while doing these, I flush the cache after clearing the savegame folder (just to be sure), and THEN I restore my current savegame (Native Missions) and do some work.

What I meant to say is that whenever I have been experimenting with OXPs, I clear the savegame folder. I start Oolite, flushing the cache.

THEN I restore my latest concurrent savegame, and work from there.

Basically this is just a set of archives before / after each native mission. The first one occurs not long after purchasing a Military Shield Enhancement. The only "mission" done (turned down) was Trumbles. This point = fully upgraded cobra, less mission specific equipment rewards.

The next one is my current one... working towards > = 256 kills. But lately I'm so sidetracked... working on several things at once.
Sword, thy name is Cobra. And Cobra has fangs!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Thargoid wrote:
I was meaning more that you're (again) making sweeping statements that may not be true in Ooniverses of people other than your own. The original comment was relating to your part in italics, the generalisation without the quantifier that it relates only to original Elite vanilla canon (which some of us prefer not to let get in the way of a good improvement in gameplay).
Well, yes, call me a canon-slave. :wink:

But for me Oolite is still a modern version of Elite. The backstory is scarce enough to fill a lot of blanks, so I am very happy expanding it. But I indeed don't see a point in replacing it.

And I think this is a point of view which makes a lot of sense in itself. Oolite is only a game, of course. But that just means that--like any other game--it needs a set of consistent rules. Nobody could play soccer, if within an only very loosely defined area somewhere on the playing ground some of the soccer rules would not apply anymore, or be reversed, or whatever.

And I think it makes sense to assume that the basic set-up of the Ooniverse (with GalCop etc.) is one of these rules which should be consistent.

I like to quote Ahruman: For games different to Oolite, see: games that are not Oolite.
JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JeffBTX »

... as long as someone doesn't put together a "MontyPython" OXP.

Viking Cobras that raid restaurants... containers of spam floating in space...

"The Bridge of Death" (actually some kind of gate) with "the Old Man from Scene 24," ("He who would cross the Bridge of Death Must answer me These questions three, Ere the other side he see.")...

"Tim the Enchanter" (a very mean, arrogant, nasty pirate that flies around in a horned mamba that spits fireballs)...

... and the Powers & Organizations section on the Elite Wiki has a new addition: "The Spanish Inquisition" (Which NOBODY expected. Save us from the soft cushions and comfy chairs!)
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Sounds like you put a lot of thought into it. Go on, you know you want to make a monty python oxp... ;)

Of course you might want to add suicide squads: 20 ships converge to your position, then explode without even scratching your hull...
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JeffBTX »

They wouldn't get near me anyway. My ship is armed with a Pointed Stick. Recently upgraded from a Banana.