The Oolite Extended Project - Fork, no oxp

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: ..

Post by Kaks »

Lestradae wrote:
* People capable of coding in C# and C++
Btw, Oolite is coded in Objective-C, which is fairly similar to (and a superset of) C, but not quite C++, and definitely not C#.

I know, so many languages, and all using similar names (there's also Objective-C++, but that hasn't got anything to do with Oolite either, afaik)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Thats true, but I think anyone with C/C++ or even C# skills should be able to work on objective-C. So I think its still the right offer to make :)
Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Chrisfs »

Lessons I have learned as a non-coder

A license isn't simply some junk that MS makes you wade through (or more likely click through and ignore)
A license is a good way of explaining in advance how you expect others to treat your product

If you aren't sure what the license says (and maybe even if you are), you should contact the writer first.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Sorry for the repost, but this should stay visible: It's not C# or C++, but Objective-C that is going to be needed!

Any people who might be interested in getting involved with the forking Oolite is going to undergo and would like to contribute something - coding skills (oxps and dev - C#, C++ - alike Objective-C), a pet idea that never made it into Oolite, or just wanting to playtest the future Oolite Extended game test build, please write a PM to me so that we can discuss your ideas/contributions/wishes further.

Most wanted:

* Further people experienced with Oolite's internal coding
* People capable of coding in C# and C++ Objective-C
* Cool ideas for storylines
* Oxp'ers who would explicitly like to see their stuff in OE- the game, too, or who want to realise an oxp idea that somehow doesn't fit into Oolite as it is

Greetings,

L

PS: The Oolite Extended Ooniverse might - to not make this simply an "alternate" Oolite and even keep the two versions compatible a bit, and also explain the differences - get positioned about 400 years into Oolite's future.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Instead of sticking it in the future, why not...

<gasp>

Galaxy 9!
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Selezen wrote:

<gasp>

Galaxy 9!
Or a future where there is a Galaxy Nine? (and 10, 11, 12, etc) (but you could always jump back to Gal. 1 if you wanted to (super-dooper-special-galactic-hyperdrive)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Selezen wrote:

<gasp>

Galaxy 9!
Or a future where there is a Galaxy Nine? (and 10, 11, 12, etc) (but you could always jump back to Gal. 1 if you wanted to (super-dooper-special-galactic-hyperdrive)
That's actually one of the things planned, and something that, according to aegidian, is reasonably doable :)

The galaxy/sector needs a number and a seed, and is already oxp'able then (set conditions to galaxy number = N-1 for worlds to appear in sector N)

Selezen, didn't you say once you had some ships made from Elites 2 and 3 that wouldn't fit for Oolite?

It could not be that they might fit for a branch of Oolite set a few centuries into its future, then? :wink:

Just asking,

L
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Lestradae wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
Selezen wrote:

<gasp>

Galaxy 9!
That's actually one of the things planned, and something that, according to aegidian, is reasonably doable :)

The galaxy/sector needs a number and a seed, and is already oxp'able then (set conditions to galaxy number = N-1 for worlds to appear in sector N)

Selezen, didn't you say once you had some ships made from Elites 2 and 3 that wouldn't fit for Oolite?

It could not be that they might fit for a branch of Oolite set a few centuries into its future, then? :wink:

Just asking,

L
There's always this idea pondered by another_commander - something for OE? https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.ph ... 8970d6e3a1
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
daniel311
Harmless
Harmless

Re: The Oolite Extended Project - Fork, no oxp

Post by daniel311 »

Lestradae wrote:
* Download temporarily removed until contentious issues have been resolved *
Could you please bring back the download again. I could even go with a stripped down ("contentious" content removed) version.

Best regards,
Daniel
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Lestradae wrote:

Nope. Not me. Only completed the IC and the Eagle Mk II from FE2. Didn't do ANY ships from FFE.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Selezen wrote:
Lestradae wrote:

Nope. Not me. Only completed the IC and the Eagle Mk II from FE2. Didn't do ANY ships from FFE.
Then I must be mistaken remembering that. Apologies!
daniel311 wrote:
Could you please bring back the download again. I could even go with a stripped down ("contentious" content removed) version.
Sorry to not being able to realise that request. No one knows as yet if at all and also if yes, which contents are contentious. But due to the licensing issues hanging in the air atm I can neither publicise any original test version nor any "stripped down" version.

It was decided to branch the game Oolite itself to solve the ongoing disputes, but this is a step that is going to take some time before any new, publiciseable test version can be done, and I will take two weeks time or so before finding out what is contentious and needs to be removed before there can be a new test version.

Until then, I can only ask you to be patient and wait. If you'd like to become part of the effort of branching Oolite (and create OE, the game in the process) drop me a PM and I will allow access to the boards getting set up for that purpose atm. If you can code javascript, XML, OpenStep, do Objective-C or want to playtest the future testversions, that might be a faster way to get your hands on OE again.

Regards everyone,

L
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

daniel311 Im not sure which bits of OE you want, a lot of it is available in stand alone downloads. I think you can get almost all of the ships and missions.
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Been a little over a month since L's last post on this, so i was wondering what's the status, still on Hiatus?

I came along after the whole licensing rabble, so was never able to see this. :(
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

ADCK wrote:
Been a little over a month since L's last post on this, so i was wondering what's the status, still on Hiatus?

I came along after the whole licensing rabble, so was never able to see this. :(
L is still trying to figure out the best way to proceed - but there's already a board for the fork (pretty inactive currently) and occasionally I upload modified windows trunk versions of the game.

I myself am currently playing with the "old" OSE WiP V0.70.21 as it's doing it's job pretty well, but I guess it's no longer available.

Anyway, didn't have much time for oolite in the past days, otherwise there would also have been some update to MCM...

Screet
scaseman
Competent
Competent

Post by scaseman »

Cmdr James wrote:
daniel311 Im not sure which bits of OE you want, a lot of it is available in stand alone downloads. I think you can get almost all of the ships and missions.
I did a bit of research and managed to find and download all of the listed OXP's apart from the following: Arachnid, Buzzer, Cobra 3.5, Combat Computers, Condor, Debug Report, Deepspace HUD, Dodo Stations, DWCobra3, Dredgers V2.2.5, Galcops, Griff_Adder_normalmapped, Griff_Anaconda_normalmapped, Griff_Cobra_Mk1_normalmapped, Griff_Cobra_Mk3_normalmapped_less_scuffed_texture, Griff_Cobra_Mk3_normalmapped_original_scuffed_texture, Griff_Coriolis_normalmapped, Griff_Fer-de-lance_normalmapped, Griff_Fer-de-lance_normalmapped_scuffed_texture_version, Griff_python_normalmapped, Griff_Sidewinder_normalmapped, Griff_Thargoids_normalmapped, Griff_Thargoids_organic_normalmapped, Griff_Vipers_normalmapped, Griff_Worm_normalmapped, Griff_Normalmapped_ships, Griff_planetexpress, Griff_shady_station, Griff_ships_remixed, Halsis, Hammer, Hud-ng, Interceptor, MaegilsMissiles, Merlin, NavyStarships, Neolite Megaships, Osiris, Pallas, Playerstations, Realistic Shipyards 4.0, Renegade Pirates V3.0, Ringpod, RoC, Shady_blackmonks, Shreddies, Stingray_MK_II, Superhub, Swift, Tardis, Target Reticle, TrekHud, Tribant, Typhoon, Uber, Wakapiko0109, Wakatoro0109, Xarik.

Which I make a total of 55 OXP's If any of the above are still available please let me know. It does mean however that over 200 of the OXP's from the Extended Project are still available in one form or another.
Last edited by scaseman on Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.