Saitek X52 PRO Template printer friendly

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Saitek X52 PRO Template printer friendly

Post by JeffBTX »

A long time ago I created this... it is very printer friendly because it uses very little ink.

Paste it into a paint application, put text and labels on it and print it for any game.

Here is a blank one:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3405/327 ... a513_o.jpg

Here is an example; I did this for Oolite. Every possible function that can be assigned in-game has been assigned to just the joystick... I am not running a joystick profile:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2751/423 ... e7d3_o.jpg
Sword, thy name is Cobra. And Cobra has fangs!
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Saitek X52 PRO Template printer friendly

Post by Screet »

JeffBTX wrote:
ere is an example; I did this for Oolite. Every possible function that can be assigned in-game has been assigned to just the joystick... I am not running a joystick profile:
Why not a profile? That way I can now also switch the cargo to dump, switch between scanner resolutions (works better than with normal keyboard!), jump, toggle cloak, toggle MASC, toggle turrets ;)

However, I find it strange that you've been able to assign the pinkie - how did you do that? It won't register in oolite for me. The control panel does record that button (as well as the "i" button) but both are not usable for games here. Customer support claims they're like a hard modelled shift button which cannot be reassigned. Oh well. Customer support also claims that it's not a problem if the controller software does neither support S3 sleep nor hibernate under Vista and that bluescreens (BSOD) are not important enough to fix them. *GRRR* And I'd been unhappy with M$ because they didn't support Sidewinder Forcefeedback 2 anymore - they only deliver basic control panels which won't configure properly under Vista and simply cause random behaviour under XP...

Screet
JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Saitek X52 PRO Template printer friendly

Post by JeffBTX »

Screet wrote:
JeffBTX wrote:
ere is an example; I did this for Oolite. Every possible function that can be assigned in-game has been assigned to just the joystick... I am not running a joystick profile:
Why not a profile? That way I can now also switch the cargo to dump, switch between scanner resolutions (works better than with normal keyboard!), jump, toggle cloak, toggle MASC, toggle turrets ;)

However, I find it strange that you've been able to assign the pinkie - how did you do that? It won't register in oolite for me. The control panel does record that button (as well as the "i" button) but both are not usable for games here. Customer support claims they're like a hard modelled shift button which cannot be reassigned. Oh well. Customer support also claims that it's not a problem if the controller software does neither support S3 sleep nor hibernate under Vista and that bluescreens (BSOD) are not important enough to fix them. *GRRR* And I'd been unhappy with M$ because they didn't support Sidewinder Forcefeedback 2 anymore - they only deliver basic control panels which won't configure properly under Vista and simply cause random behaviour under XP...

Screet
If you run the Saitek X-52 PRO *WITHOUT* a profile, in other words "just a stick with digital buttons, no definitions", then the pinkie switch WILL register as a button that can be seen by games. IF you run WITH a profile, then the pinkie switch is a "SHIFT" key by default (but you can defeat that in a profile... the explanation is complicated, but if you carefully read the docs, you will find it... its been a while but I did... basically you DELETE the default definition of PINKIE = SHIFT).

Why I am not using a profile;
There is an annoying problem under Vista, at least on my machine and I know at least with some other users... if you invoke the profiler software (if it is in memory at all), then Operating System restarts and shutdowns are VERY SLOW. I *think* it is a USB driver issue but I'm not sure; the USB driver "handshaking" with the profiler software perhaps. It's alleviated SOMEWHAT by clicking the SysTray Icons (or whatever they are called now) and invoking "Shut Down" or "Turn Off" or "Terminate App" or whatever it's called. SO... whenever possible in a game, if a game has a built-in provision for assigning (reading) a lot of buttons, I just use that instead of a profile.

EDIT: If you want to try this I think you have to right click the SysTray Icons (OK in Vista it is now called "Notification Area") and UN-select something like "Load Automatically On Start" or something.

Or maybe I altered via ConfigSys... it's been a while so I don't remember. In any case, you want to JUST load the Saitek USB driver and nothing else, and the controller will be "just a big, vanilla controller with a lot of buttons and axises. Axi?"

EDIT version 2.0: I think it WAS ConfigSys come to think of it. And then, if you want to change things back, and load the software, just invoke ConfigSys again and RE-Select the Saitek software so that it loads on startup. Again, if you have the slow shutdown / restart problem, right clicking the icons and shutting them down (unloading from memory), and then *WAITING* for about 30 seconds or so helps. They don't disappear on their own... you have to move your cursor back and forth across the Notification Area ("refreshing" it) every few seconds to see it.
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Glad to see i'm not the only crazy person here :P

(I did the same for my keyboard:
JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JeffBTX »

Ah - I should make a keyboard map myself. Not now, though... been playing off and on all night / morning... time for sleep.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Yep, this 'Oolite' stuff seems to be addictive... ;)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JeffBTX »

Lately I've been sleeping in only 4-5 hour "bursts".

If my cardiologist knew about it, she would explode.

And I've already blown her up once, when I mistakenly told her that I was a gourmet coffee freek and told her how much coffee I drink (on rare occasions, but only in the summer, I ROAST and grind my own imported green coffee beans. My favorite is Papau New Guinea. Kinda seasonal though and hard to get).

Right now, I think my caffiene / hemoglobin ratio is very high.