Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Trapped in a Behemoth

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Odo987
Dangerous
Dangerous

Trapped in a Behemoth

Post by Odo987 »

First game on 1.73.4 (OSX).

After a successful battle in witchspace, I docked with a behemoth. As this was the first game I'd played in three years, the docking was a bumpy one and I lost some slaves and a computer. But apparently I also lost the ability to launch again. I can browse all the docked menus, but F1 does not let me launch. I also can't save since this is a behemoth not a station.

Present System: Xeesle : Behemoth - Colossus
Condition: Docked

Did I die during my docking but the system only half understands this? I tried another rough landing in the same circumstances and could relaunch just fine, so this does not appear to be repeatable.
Attacking a Navigational Beacon is illegal. Police are on their way.
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Trapped in a Behemoth

Post by ADCK »

Odo987 wrote:
First game on 1.73.4 (OSX).

After a successful battle in witchspace, I docked with a behemoth. As this was the first game I'd played in three years, the docking was a bumpy one and I lost some slaves and a computer. But apparently I also lost the ability to launch again. I can browse all the docked menus, but F1 does not let me launch. I also can't save since this is a behemoth not a station.

Present System: Xeesle : Behemoth - Colossus
Condition: Docked

Did I die during my docking but the system only half understands this? I tried another rough landing in the same circumstances and could relaunch just fine, so this does not appear to be repeatable.
The behemoth may of hyperspaced while you were in it... I can't say from experience i can only guess here, but i bet thats what caused it.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

But that would not prevent you from re-launching. Oh, and the Behemoth has certainly jumped in-between. It is a feature/bug of Oolite that you cannot, under any circumstances whatsoever, launch into interstellar space.

@Odo987: It sounds like a strange bug. That you can press all other Fs suggests that you're not dead. Currently I have no idea why F1 would not work.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Odo987 wrote:
... the docking was a bumpy one and I lost some slaves and a computer. But apparently I also lost the ability to launch again. I can browse all the docked menus, but F1 does not let me launch. I also can't save since this is a behemoth not a station.....Did I die during my docking but the system only half understands this? I tried another rough landing in the same circumstances and could relaunch just fine, so this does not appear to be repeatable.
No idea what happened. I also tried with 1.73 and had the same. No launch possible. Back to trunk and there it worked. Than back to 1.73 but now I always could launch.

Also no idea what happened. When I dock and wait until the behemoth get killed by thargoids, the player is auto-launched correctly, so that is also no cause. I do know that 1.73 has a bug that returns a wrong docking status to oxp's that ask for its status during shipWillDockWithStation(). That does sometimes get weird results.

I did a bit of cheating during testing this as I used the console to dock: P.ship.target.dockPlayer() :lol: But that should be the same as real docking.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Eric Walch wrote:
I did a bit of cheat during testing this as I used the console to dock: P.ship.target.dockPlayer() :lol: But that should be the same as rel docking.
Sorry for the off-topicness, just felt the need to state that station.dockPlayer() is probably the most helpful testing method ever made. Cheers Frame ;-)