Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Enter key not working while trying to save (Fixed)

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

johnt
Average
Average

Enter key not working while trying to save (Fixed)

Post by johnt »

Hi,

I have downloaded version 1.7.3.4 and it works fine. However when I go to save a game the enter key does not work in the game menus. I have a alienware M15x laptop with windows 7 64 bit. All other games run fine so does oolite except for the enter key in the menus. I have tried loading oolite on an xp machine that I have and it is fine on that one. A most perplexing problem, if any one out there has any ideas on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Johnt
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Is this happening when you are entering the commander's name before saving or on all menus? In the second case, does mouse double click work?
johnt
Average
Average

Post by johnt »

I can enter the commanders name and edit as normal. Yes, when the menu is displayed I can use the up / down arrow keys to select the menu item but cannot select it using the enter key. However by double clicking with the mouse it does take me to the next screen to imput the commanders name. I tried doing the same once i entered the commanders name but I get kicked back up the menu structure.
johnt
Average
Average

Enter key not working

Post by johnt »

Hi All,

After some more investigation it seems that it is happening on every menu screen. Every thing else is working as it should. These are my system specs...

Alienware M15x 4Gb ram 256 SSD Harddrive. Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-920XM processor Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. 1GB GDDR3 NVIDIA(R) GeForce GTX 260M.
I played Elite on the commodore 64 and still remains one of my preferred games. It's so frustrating that I can play oolite and it works in every way except to save my commander. I suppose I could leave the computer on and keep buying insurance
:wink:
Thanks in advance for any help on solutions , workarounds, anything to get this solved so I can start blasting pesky thargoids again.

Regards and thanks,
John
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Hmm, all I can think of is that maybe windows 7 has remapped the return key to some other code from the almost universal '13'. if that's the case, then we'll have to find that new keycode before a new release... :(

Is there a way to run Oolite in xp compatibility mode? Not being able to use 'enter' will make it more or less impossible to accept missions too.
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
johnt
Average
Average

Enter key not working in windows 7

Post by johnt »

Good Idea. I'll try that when I get home tonight and let you know.

Regards,
John
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

Windows 7 x64
Oolite 1.73.4 (Natively running, NOT a compatibility mode)
Installed in default location C:\Oolite
NO OXP's

Successfully started Oolite. Created new commander. Flew from Lave to Zaonce and docked. Saved commader. Quit Oolite. Restarted Oolite. Loaded Commander. Flew to Lave and docked.

Windows 7 is NOT the source of the issue, unless you have some customizations that are making Oolite behave differently.
johnt
Average
Average

Enter key blues

Post by johnt »

Okay, After looking into this I have found the problem to be the way the the keyboard is mapped on the Alienware m15x. The enter key on this laptop is actually mapped to num enter on the number keypad (which is not present on this laptop) This apparently is a known problem with Dell aware of it. As to when or if a fix is due, who knows. In the meantime does any one have suggestions as to how to remap or indeed if oolite itself could be changed to accommodate the num enter key?

thanks and regards,
John
_ds_
Deadly
Deadly

Re: Enter key blues

Post by _ds_ »

johnt wrote:
After looking into this I have found the problem to be the way the the keyboard is mapped on the Alienware m15x. The enter key on this laptop is actually mapped to num enter on the number keypad (which is not present on this laptop) This apparently is a known problem with Dell aware of it.
Nice… anyway, if you build current svn (either the 1.73 branch or trunk), you'll find that your Enter key now works.

(Incidentally, does Fn+Enter == Return? Not that it really matters much.)
http://tartarus.org/~ds/oolite/patches, Buzzer OXP etc.
johnt
Average
Average

Num Enter key

Post by johnt »

Thanks, It works a treat. Downloaded the latest svn, built latest trunk and ran... "oops, to many errors with oxp's". Built latest 1.73 branch and all is sweet.

Thanks again. I'm off to make some money to kit out my ship and beat up some pesky thargoids.
:D
Royds
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

problem with enter key

Post by Royds »

Hi, im having the same problem, running Oolite 1.73.4 on an Acer aspire 6930. it has a full keyboard (number pad also) & as above i cant use the return(enter) key in any menu's, OS is vista home premium 32bit... don't understand the last post explaining how fix the problem... can anybody help???

Thanks in advance
Ash
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: problem with enter key

Post by another_commander »

Royds wrote:
Hi, im having the same problem, running Oolite 1.73.4 on an Acer aspire 6930. it has a full keyboard (number pad also) & as above i cant use the return(enter) key in any menu's, OS is vista home premium 32bit... don't understand the last post explaining how fix the problem... can anybody help???

Thanks in advance
Ash
There has been a fix for the Enter key not been recognized, that was inserted in the code shortly after the initial report. The official releases do not contain this fix. So, in order to resolve the problem, you can try one of the following:
  • 1) Build the game executable from source code. This is not a trivial process, if you have not done it before it might get somewhat confusing, although we did our best to keep it as simple as possible. Anyway, if you are interested in trying it, the instructions for building under Windows are here.

2) Try to use Fn + Enter instead of just enter. Might or might not work, but it's an easy to do test, so it's worth a try.

3) Download a nightly build which will already contain this fix, but it will most likely also contain numerous new and interesting bugs, as it is a development version. Not recommended for gameplay, but at least you will be able to confirm whether the upcoming releases will work for you or not. The nightly builds for Windows are here.

4) Use mouse double clicking instead of Enter key, if all else fails. Not totally convenient maybe, but at least you will be able to play.