Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

griffs cobra mk III

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Volumetric
Average
Average

griffs cobra mk III

Post by Volumetric »

Hey there folks, sorry for the ultra noob question (this is my 1st post ever), I have downloaded the griff all in one ship pack and all the ships look awesome. All of them except mine unfortunately. So here's my questions: is there a way to make my cobra look good? and secondly, does the normal mapped ship pack actually replace the original ships? or do they appear alongside the default models? (and im sure this question has been asked before, but being only 24hrs into my oolite experience i didn't really understand the responses given) Now if the griff ships appear alongside the default ones, is there a way to replace the originals completely? (eg i dont want to go to the ship shop and see a regular cobra MkIII as well as a Griff MkIII, what im after is a regular MkIII that looks like a griff) Thanks for any help guys, and dont forget, try and keep it simple for me! Ive not had the chance to tinker with the innards of this great game. Also, i havent played into oolite very far yet, so if my concerns are invalid let me know.for example all the ships ive seen so far seem to have been griffs, but i havent seen that many ships yet so the defaults could be out there somewhere. cheers all
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Hello Volumetric, welcome to the forums!
the griff_ships should completely replace the default set ones except (as you've found out) the player version of the cobra III you get when you start a new game, you can change this though with a bit of save game editing - there's a post from me on this page (sorry, i can't do the direct link to a post thing even though it's been explained to me a few times) https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t= ... &start=120
that shows what to edit or even easier, there's a save game for a new jameson fitted out with a griff cobra III, but i suppose it means starting again if you decide to play with that, so the savegame edit might be best - you just use a text editor to open your save file - but if you're on Windows don't use Notepad as it secretly mangles up the text formatting in a way that stops Oolite reading in your save file (Wordpad is fine to use though)
Volumetric
Average
Average

Re: Cheers!!

Post by Volumetric »

Thanks Griff! That looks so much better!! You really have done an awesome job on those ships. Im so looking forward to getting in some serious playtime with oolite over the next week. Spent the last few days trying to get elite working on an archimedes emulator with an analog joystick, then stumbled on this whilst looking for GLFrontier. Mind blowing....
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: Cheers!!

Post by Eric Walch »

Volumetric wrote:
Thanks Griff! That looks so much better!! You really have done an awesome job on those ships. .
Hello Volumetric, welcome to this board.

By itself it is logic your own ship still looked bad. Whenever a car brand releases a new model, the old models still look bad. You have to actually buy that brand new model when you want to have it. The same with griff's very nice ships: you can always buy that awesome looking cobra. 8)
Volumetric
Average
Average

Post by Volumetric »

while it would certainly be worth the dosh, i just cant bring myself to drive last years model, not when everyone's driving around in shiny new(old) normal mapped vehicles. I'll be the laughing stock of the galaxy. "this guys just not normal" they'd say, and im far to fragile to take barbs like that all day :) 1 quick question, after a bit of time inside the ooniverse im finding that not all the space stations have the same wonderful texturing that the lave station has. Is that NORMAL? (sorry ill stop the jokes now) Can it be changed? cheers again
Makara
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Makara »

You'll want the Groove Station OXP to funky up the look of other stations you'll find 8)
Volumetric
Average
Average

Post by Volumetric »

that certainly funkied them up somewhat, but ive lost griffs original station textures at lave, any way i could get griffs back? or alternately, change all the stations so they look like griffs?
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Hello, the griff coriolis station is still about in your game, it's now just a lot less common.
There are 3 types of station in the default shipset, coriolis, dodecahedron and uh, 'ico-something' - (a pointy star shaped one) i've only done the coriolis one at the moment, but i'm hoping to get the others done too at some point.
Pagrooves station oxp adds more choices for the game to pick from when it needs to conjure up a coriolis station so with more choices available they all get a bit rarer to find
Volumetric
Average
Average

Post by Volumetric »

I would love to see some more stations from you Griff. I really think you nailed a perfect balance between modern graphic technique and the old elite style. Would i be right in assuming that the missing stations are the only objects in the (base) game that haven't been 'Griffed"? I would love to see a complete griff model replacement OXP at some point and would be curious to see how much would be left to do. One last question (for now), is there any way to change the spinning ships in the intro to griff models? Been looking through the configs trying to find some reference to either the intro or the models (ive got the neolite ones up for now) but haven't had any luck yet. Cheers for all your help!
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

No, there's quite a few ships/stations missing from my set of ships i'm afraid, i think i'm just about over half way done, and each ships seems to take about 5-6 weeks, due to lazyness on my part!
The griff ships should appear on the demo screen after the standard set has scrolled past but i'm not sure if there is a neat way to replace the default set with griff ones without editing the main oolite demoships.plist file
Volumetric
Average
Average

Post by Volumetric »

thanks for your help again griff, pretty much got it sorted, just replaced the main demoships with the one from the griff oxp. only problem is the very first ship (when it asks if you want to load previous commander) is the old cobra, although as soon as you hit n, it starts to cycle through your ships.