Cevera/Cevara?

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

hircus
Competent
Competent

Cevera/Cevara?

Post by hircus »

I'm currently delivering cargo to Cevera. The system log says Cevera, and the cargo destination concurs; however, the galactic map lists the planet as Cevara.

The solar system is rendered with very pretty nebulaic graphics, so the bug might be in some OXPs, however I'm not sure which one. This is on Oolite 1.71.2 / mac.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

If the cargo howl was a mission from an OXP, it may well be a typo in that OXP (I seem to remember something like that in Ionics).
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: Cevera/Cevara?

Post by Eric Walch »

hircus wrote:
I'm currently delivering cargo to Cevera. The system log says Cevera, and the cargo destination concurs; however, the galactic map lists the planet as Cevara.
Not likely an Oolite bug as the names are stored nowhere. They are just created according to a formula as the original Elite did. This should always give the same result.

Your guess of a typo in an oxp it more likely.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Yes, indeed.

The planet is called Cevera, therefore the information in the system log is correct.

However, it is one of the planets affected by Ionics.oxp, and I guess hircus is either playing through that right now. (At least he has it installed.) In Ionics.oxp there is an entry about Cevera in planetinfo.plist that changes a few of the planetary stats, most notably the short description. In the name-key of that entry the name is misspelled "Cevara", and this is what you see on the map, if you have the OXP installed. On top of that there is another typo (more likely a c&p-error) in the short description, because it has a wrong planet name altogether ("Ersoonve is the ancestral home...").

The particularly cute thing about the Cevera/Cevara typo is its complete unnessecity, because there is no need to even include keys you don't want to change in planetinfo.plist.
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Sorry for resurrecting a year-old thread, but having just come across this myself I'm wondering what the authors' intention actually was since the world Ersoonve is closer to the core of the setting (Zaria/Ramaza) than Cevera/Cavara.

I also note that there hasn't been an update to fix this (and any other?) bugs in Ionics in the meantime - is Galileo still active? If not, is anybody else maintaining this OXP?
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Micha wrote:
- is Galileo still active? If not, is anybody else maintaining this OXP?
I mailed him the 7th of April this year. That message is still unread. About that time I put an updated version in my box account and for some reason that oxp is even the most downloaded one in my account. ( > 1000 downloads)

I'll update with this fix. (Done now)

I think he took a distant planet to leave room for random ambushes on the way to the planet. At least that was my guess at the time I played it.

Since 1.73 we can use replacement code for planet names instead of hard coded names. That way the name is by definition correct, even when an other oxp should alter names. But for those oldies I don't want to loose 1.65 compatibility when not really needed.