asteroid storm broken by trunk?

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

asteroid storm broken by trunk?

Post by Cmdr James »

I think that asteroid storm tries to set asteroids with bounties set.

I have asteroid storm 3.52 installed, and almost all my asteroids are spawned with a bounty set to 10 or 15. This is fine, except that the bounty actually awarded is always the normal 1.

My suspicion is that someone has changed the way bounty is awarded for rocks, but, in all honesty I cant find it in svn.

So for me its easy to fix, I just remove the OXP, but I think there is a bug and a change needed for it to work properly.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

I changed my mind, I think that this is a confusion caused by the handling of scan class killClass == CLASS_ROCK and the bounty scanner which does not take this into account.

My preference would be to change the special handling for rocks so that they award the full value, and change the amounts in shipdata.plist, but Im not sure what else this might break. Probably still need a special case for strict mode.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: asteroid storm broken by trunk?

Post by Eric Walch »

Cmdr James wrote:
My suspicion is that someone has changed the way bounty is awarded for rocks, but, in all honesty I cant find it in svn.
My preference would be to change the special handling for rocks so that they award the full value, and change the amounts in shipdata.plist, but Im not sure what else this might break. Probably still need a special case for strict mode
Nothing has changed with bounties. However the js.property bounty returned always the wrong property. LegalStatus instead of bounty. For all ships they are identical with exception of rock and thargoids. LegalStatus of rocks has always been 0 and bounty 10. And for some reason you only collect 10% of the bounty when shooting rocks. This was already so since before 1.65. That is also the reason you must give a pirate cove a bounty of 1000 to let the player receive a 100 credits of bounty. But yes, I always found this stupid and also would prefer a lower bounty in the rock definition and than awarding the full amount. Makes things much more transparent now scripts have access to all these data.

----
Back to asteroid Storm: There is a bug in trunk with it. I have been busy yesterday converting it to the new mission protocol. On doing this I noticed a bug with the timer that should explode the station. The ship script of the rock starts that timer within the worldScript. However that timer never fires. Trunk from a few weeks back still does work.
I was trying to further localise the cause before filing a bug report.
I had even Oolite crashes when trying to dock at those moments.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

In that case there is a bug in the bounty scanner that it doesn't know about this. But I still think we should change rock bounty handling in oolite.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Cmdr James wrote:
But I still think we should change rock bounty handling in oolite.
I fully agree and don't think much oxp's will be affected. Only asteroid storm adds a lot of its own asteroids that keep the higher bounty. However, the missionpart of asteroid storm needs an update for 1.74, so when you change it in trunk, I can make the same change in the next update of AS.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Lets give it a few days and see who screams about it :)
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

It may mean that one or two things in the upcoming TCAT might also need a tweak. But as I'm hanging off that until 1.74 as I don't want to code all the mission stuff twice I can likewise make suitable arrangements.