Loading and saving of commanders

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

treczoks
Deadly
Deadly

Loading and saving of commanders

Post by treczoks »

Hi!

I use 1.73.4 on my Linux box and started a new commander. As an old habit, I save on every system and give the file a new name with a serial number so i can later analyze where I've been and what I did.

I noticed three problems with loading and saving commanders in the version I use:

a) Long filenames are unreadable: The last part of the filename is written over other parts of the filename. My first filename here was "Charles Christopher Crimson 0001 Lave" and the number and system name was unreadable.

b) The file list is not re-read between being called: When I noticed that the long file names are unreadable, I left the "save commander" page and called up a shell. I renamed all the long filenames to shorter ones ("CCC 0001 Lave") in the oolite-saves directory. Then I returned to the game and went to "save commander" (or "load commander") again, and it still showed the long, unreadable filenames. I had to close and restart the game for the changes to show effect in the "load commander" screen.

c) The file list is not sorted: All the filenames come up in a seemingly random order. How about a wee bit of sorting when scanning the directory, maybe even Up/Down by name or ("left as an exercise to the student", as my profs said when it was to complicated) by ship_clock?

Yours, Christian
[It/we/I] [awoke]. [Identity]:[Undetermined], [Location]:[Undetermined], [Objective]:[Destroy]. [Priorize([Determination]:[Identity])]:[High]. [Execute].
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

The captain name you see on the load screen is the name inside the file, not the actual file name. (they're normally the same, so you wouldn't normally notice)

And on my computer it's showing them in the filenames' alphabetical order, not necessarily the captains'
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
treczoks
Deadly
Deadly

Post by treczoks »

Kaks wrote:
The captain name you see on the load screen is the name inside the file, not the actual file name. (they're normally the same, so you wouldn't normally notice)
OK, I fixed the players name inside the file for consistencies sake.
Kaks wrote:
And on my computer it's showing them in the filenames' alphabetical order, not necessarily the captains'
Not here. All plain random:

Code: Select all

(..)ct
CCC 0021 Esteonbi    Harmless
>>old
CCC 0022 Tiinlebi    Harmless
CCC 0023 Esteonbi    Harmless
autosave             Harmless
CCC 0020 Tiinlebi    Harmless
What can I do to help the gurus-in-residence fixing this?

Yours, Christian
[It/we/I] [awoke]. [Identity]:[Undetermined], [Location]:[Undetermined], [Objective]:[Destroy]. [Priorize([Determination]:[Identity])]:[High]. [Execute].
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

I also see them in the correct alphabetical order when viewed in full screen mode. (In windowed mode I get the macs native file dialogue windows)

In full screen mode, even the folders are listed alphabetical correct in between of the files. BUT, I noticed a bug in current trunk that does work correct with 1.73:

I can no longer open folders by pressing cmd-return as written in the on-screen text. When using 1.73 it still does work.

I never noticed till now because I always use windowed mode. And in full screen mode the folders can still be opened by mouse click.
Last edited by Eric Walch on Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

treczoks wrote:
Not here. All plain random:

Code: Select all

(..)ct
CCC 0021 Esteonbi    Harmless
>>old
CCC 0022 Tiinlebi    Harmless
CCC 0023 Esteonbi    Harmless
autosave             Harmless
CCC 0020 Tiinlebi    Harmless
Can you post the filenames corresponding to these savefiles? I have my saves sorted alphabetically by filename here, too.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Eric Walch wrote:
I can no longer open folders by pressing cmd-return as written in the on-screen text. When using 1.73 it still does work.
<dev speak>
A possible side effect of the cmd-H in map mode bugfix, methinks...
</dev speak>
V. little time to look at that myself, but if any other dev with a mac wants to have a look, hopefully it shouldn't be too difficult to track down... :P
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
treczoks
Deadly
Deadly

Post by treczoks »

another_commander wrote:
Can you post the filenames corresponding to these savefiles? I have my saves sorted alphabetically by filename here, too.
The filenames are the same as the commanders names (The ones I renamed are in the "old" subdirectory, and even they have fixed commanders names now).

Yours, Christian