White bar under HUD

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Raptoricus
Average
Average

White bar under HUD

Post by Raptoricus »

Hi all, just wondering if I could maybe get some help?

I've got a graphical bug where a white bar appears under the hud, it's strange, because
1. Doesn't appear in any view other than front
2. Seems to be using pixel shading, as when light sources move around, it changes shade.

I've got quite a few oxp's installed, if there's any known issues, give me a shout (I've had a few hud ones too, same problem when I use them).
-Amen Bricks Mega Ships
-Commies
-Dictators 1.3
-Famous Planets 2
-FP Liners
-Neolite
-Random Hits 1.3.6
-Shady_black monks
-tianve
-and the your ad here set
Last edited by Raptoricus on Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raptoricus
Average
Average

Post by Raptoricus »

[edit] Forgotten to mention, my resolution is 1280x1024, if that makes any odds. cheers in advance ;).
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Raptoricus wrote:
(image)
[edit] Forgotten to mention, my resolution is 1280x1024, if that makes any odds. cheers in advance ;).
That'll be the nose of your ship (and hence it's responding to shading effects).

The Neolite Cobby 3 is slightly different shape and has slightly different front viewer position to the standard in-game one.

Took me a little while to work it out too. :) ;)

HTH
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Raptoricus
Average
Average

Post by Raptoricus »

Ahh makes sense I guess, shame, it's a little distracting and makes docking harder, guess I'll get used to it though, cheers anyway ;)
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

You can fiddle with the viewer position in the ship's plist - me - I take it as the downside of owning such a gorgeous ship.
Selezen wrote:
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Hello Raptoricus, and welcome to the boards. They're the friendliest this side of Riedquat, I'm told.

Unfortunately, as DH already said, that white line is a 'feature' of neolite: Simon B kind of embedded the front view partway into the hull, and he seemed to like the result. If you fly another ship you won't see that line anymore.

One thing you could do, if you want to keep flying the neolite cobra3 - and you're not afraid to get your hands dirty - you can go inside the neolite oxp and change the position of the forward screen. It's the three numbers ( representing the x,y,z positions from the centre of the ship) immediately following view_position_forward inside shipdata.plist.

To make the changes you can use a variety of text editors, including wordpad.

No matter what, don't ever use notepad. It adds hidden formatting to the file, and oolite won't be able to read the settings anymore. One excellent & free text editor you could use is notepad++, it's a totally different program to the evil notepad.exe that ships with windows.

After you've made your changes, press shift while launching oolite. that will flush the internal cache, and allow Oolite to notice the changes you've just made
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Raptoricus
Average
Average

Post by Raptoricus »

"After you've made your changes, press shift while launching oolite. that will flush the internal cache, and allow Oolite to notice the changes you've just made"

Usefull info there, cheers very much for the help! I'd found the file and was looking about for the variables to change, should be able to find them now, I'll get back if I have trouble.
Raptoricus
Average
Average

Post by Raptoricus »

OH, one more thing, does Oolite use a left handed or right handed coordinate system? Just so I don't end up in the arse of my ship :S.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Really good question!

On the z axis, +1 is toward the front of the ship, on the y axis +1 is going upwards and on the x axis, +1 is toward starboard (the right hand side if you're looking forward).

I think. 95% sure anyway... :P
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Hi Raptoricus, and welcome.

You could always fly a Griff Cobra from Griff’s ship set:

They can be found here:

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=6586&start=0

Regards
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Raptoricus
Average
Average

Post by Raptoricus »

Thanks for the help, can't seem to get it to change though, have I definately got the right ship?

"cobra3-player"

by the amount I've changed it, I should be somewhere half way across the galaxy by now
:shock:
Raptoricus
Average
Average

Post by Raptoricus »

El Viejo, thanks, looks like a nice version of it, if all else fails I may just get that :).

[edit] Just looked through the thread, I actually really prefer those ships, looks like I'll be going for that pack instead, thanks again.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Raptoricus wrote:
El Viejo, thanks, looks like a nice version of it, if all else fails I may just get that :).

[edit] Just looked through the thread, I actually really prefer those ships, looks like I'll be going for that pack instead, thanks again.
The neolite pack deliberately replaces the original ships, the Griff packs deliberately ADD to the original ships, both can co-exist (they do on my system) - just install Griff's ships and then edit your save file to have it be a Griff CMk3 rather than the neolite one - then you'll see a full mixture of neolite and Griff ships (although none of the originals)
Selezen wrote:
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

not to derail the thread, but what's this about Notepad? i use it all the time and it doesn't seem to affect anything?
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

Killer Wolf wrote:
not to derail the thread, but what's this about Notepad? i use it all the time and it doesn't seem to affect anything?
In the old days, anything saved in Notepad was unreadable (read: line changes caused unknown symbols and extra empty lines) under Unix/Linux or any other decent OS. Not sure if it is still the case.