Elite reunion

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Elite reunion

Post by Disembodied »

Ian Bell and David Braben appeared together on stage at Nottingham's GameCity Festival on October 28, to mark the 25th anniversary of Elite. There's an article about it here on Edge Online. Sounds like they've both managed to bury the hatchet, and not in each others' heads ... :) Robert Holdstock was there too, reading bits of The Dark Wheel.

There are some photos from the event online too, here. Seems to be where the paper Elite Fleet came from!

A shame we didn't know about this before the event – I'm sure there are some of us in the vicinity of Nottingham who might have liked to go along. Just have to wait for the Golden Jubilee in 2024, I suppose. ;)
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Cool. Will read later on as it's blocked at work :(

Perhaps we should do the 'Oolite' equivalent sometime! How many years since Oolite started? :)

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

every time i read hoe much Braben loved the game and found it an honour etc etc etc just makes me more confused as to why he's put E4 on teh shelf for so long. none of his other games has had remotely the impact or fanbase that Elite spawned, you'd think he'd be much more into progressing his legacy than doing nowt w/ it for two decades :-\
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

He's always saying that he wants the technology to catch up with what he wants the game to do ... which sounds ominously like he keeps on shoehorning yet more stuff into the game as memory and processing speed becomes available and he'll never be done.

I also have the terrible sinking fear that, whatever he does and whenever he does it, it'll be full of "realistic" physics. Apart from, you know, the unrealistic bits like flight speeds, wormholes and all the rest. He is, after all, on record as saying that he knows Newtonian flight characteristics makes the game "less fun", but still he argues for it because it's "more realistic". Because, of course, you don't want too much fun getting into your game! Heavens no. :roll:
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

What? Goddarn it, I like 20 mins away from Nottingham!!!

Oh, hang on, I was in Scotland at the time. Bugger. Still, would have been SOOOOO cool. :-(
Wiggy
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Wiggy »

drew wrote:
Perhaps we should do the 'Oolite' equivalent sometime! How many years since Oolite started? :)
I met Giles and a couple of others in a pub in London in 2005 to discuss Oolite.
We might need a bigger pub these days.....
You came in that? You're braver than I thought!
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Elite reunion

Post by Wolfwood »

Disembodied wrote:
A shame we didn't know about this before the event – I'm sure there are some of us in the vicinity of Nottingham who might have liked to go along. Just have to wait for the Golden Jubilee in 2024, I suppose. ;)
We didn't? It was all over the Facebook Elite page (http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=ho ... ame?ref=nf) and I even covered it in my blog (http://www.hookedgamers.com/blogs/wolfw ... rview.html). I didn't even notice that no one here posted about it... :(

It is a shame they didn't think of broadcasting or videoing the event for those of us who live nowhere near UK...
ramon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ramon »

I think they have recorded it - they're editing it now ready to post it up soon.
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Most excellent!

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
jonnycuba
Deadly
Deadly

Post by jonnycuba »

@ Wiggy,

I remember that, it was: Yourself, Giles, No Sleep & I! A few good ideas came out of that session in the pub.
Team Zorg are Go!