hostile cargopods

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

hostile cargopods

Post by Commander McLane »

I think I've hunted the bug down which sometimes creates offender or fugitive cargopods.

The problem is that scanClass is not automatically inherited through like_ship. And all pods in both Cargo_and_wrecks.oxp and Pods.oxp, which have a like_ship key, are missing the scanClass key.

This is no problem, as long as the cargopods are created by the game engine from a dying ship. But if--as is the case with personalities.oxp and some other OXPs--cargopods are spawned via script, the ones with no explicitely defined scanClass get CLASS_NEUTRAL.

The solution is that all cargopods should explicitely get scanClass CLASS_CARGO.

Generally all shipdata-entries should always have their scanClass explicitely set, if it is not the default CLASS_NEUTRAL, even if they are like_shipped from another entry.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

I'm planning to update pods.oxp at the weekend anyway (add the extra roles we discussed previously), so I'll drop the scanClass key into them too whilst I'm at it.
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Re: hostile cargopods

Post by Micha »

Commander McLane wrote:
The problem is that scanClass is not automatically inherited through like_ship.
I believe there is an effort underway to ensure that -every- key is inherited through like_ship.
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: hostile cargopods

Post by Eric Walch »

Commander McLane wrote:
I think I've hunted the bug down which sometimes creates offender or fugitive cargopods.

The problem is that scanClass is not automatically inherited through like_ship. And all pods in both Cargo_and_wrecks.oxp and Pods.oxp, which have a like_ship key, are missing the scanClass key..
I have never seen anything wrong with the like_ship key. I have spawn a lot of such pods in the past without seeing ever any problem.

I just created a role for such a pod and used:

Code: Select all

> player.ship.spawn("alienpod2")
[Ship "Alien cargo" ID: 296 position: (54355.7, -27945.8, 356408) scanClass: CLASS_CARGO status: STATUS_IN_FLIGHT]
The CLASS_CARGO was not defined in the ship data but inherited with like_ship. It is more likely you are referring to pods without any defined scanClass at al.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

I somehow think that scanClass is different from the other shipdata keys, because it sometimes is set by the populator according to how the ship is spawned (like ai_type). I had a couple of instances before, where I created a clone of an existing ship and spawned it, but it got a scanClass different from the one I had expected. Setting it explicitely in its entry, and not relying on the one that should be inherited, always solved the problem.

I don't know what exactly is happening here internally, but I think the bottom line is that the scanClass key should be mandatory for every entity.
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Commander McLane wrote:
I somehow think that scanClass is different from the other shipdata keys, because it sometimes is set by the populator according to how the ship is spawned
<...>
the scanClass key should be mandatory for every entity.
I think the code should be checked and as long as nothing -relies- on the internal code generating a (semi-random?) scan-class for like_ship'd entities to function correctly then the code should be modified such that if the entity or its like_ship-parent entity supplies SCAN_CLASS then that SCAN_CLASS should be used instead of one being generated.

IMHO a like_ship'd entity should be exactly like the parent except for whatever is overridden. Having some entries mandatory and others inherited makes no sense (to me).

I'm happy to take a look at this but won't get a chance till next week.
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Every key is inherited through like_ship, except display_name and is_template.

is_template is not inherited because it relates to the inheritance system itself and inheriting it would make no sense.

display_name is not inherited because if B inherits from A, and A has a display_name through a shipdata-overrides.plist in a localization OXP, B’s name should not be overridden. (It could be reasonably argued that B should inherit display_name if it doesn’t have an explicit name, but that is currently not the case.)