Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

updating OSE worldscript timer scripts

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

pmw57
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

updating OSE worldscript timer scripts

Post by pmw57 »

While updating the OSE timer scripts, this is also a great opportunity to tidy up issues in some of the scripts too.

All of the worldscript timer scripts are:
  • deep-space-pirates.js - discuss
  • dredger.js
  • EE_EEU.js
  • frame_fuel_collector.js
  • OreProcessor.js
  • PlanetFall.js
  • MisjumpAnalyser.js
  • planetaryInformation.js
  • rockHermit_Locator.js
  • repairBots_Repair.js
  • TigersTurf.js
This thread will be updated as updates to these scripts are performed.
Last edited by pmw57 on Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A trumble a day keeps the doctor away, and the tax man;
even the Grim Reaper keeps his distance.
-- Paul Wilkins
pmw57
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pmw57 »

deep-space-pirates.js is now updated.

That's all I'll do for tonight. I'll come back for more of the rest tomorrow.
-- Paul Wilkins
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

As the original writer of TigersTurf.js, which was coded to cope with 1.70 somewhat limited api, and not really updated that much (lack of time, yet again) thank you in advance for your feedback, and I'll make sure to improve on the script when you release a lint free version...

One thing though. TigerTurf.js is an integral part of the Hotrods oxp which I want to keep as a totally unrelated oxp, a separate entity to what has been 'absorbed' within OSE.

Could you please rename your tiger turf script something else, maybe OSE-TigerTurf, or whatever else is decided upon by your good selves.

I'd like 3rd party oxps to be able to distinguish between the original and the OSE-ified one, and I'll be quite happy to add some extra code when the time comes, to help resolve possible conflicts between the OSE & non-OSE tiger turfs.

Cheers,

Kaks.
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Likewise for all of my scripts and OXP components. Please rename them (both file and for script this.name) to an OSE-including header, for much the same reason.

Request withdrawn.
Last edited by Thargoid on Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

I will rename the scripts to keep them distinguishable from the original ones, especially as the actual situation implies a high probability of the future OSE scripts diverging from the original ones they stem from.

Consider it done in the not-to-far future :wink:

Cheers

L
pmw57
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: ..

Post by pmw57 »

Lestradae wrote:
I will rename the scripts to keep them distinguishable from the original ones, especially as the actual situation implies a high probability of the future OSE scripts diverging from the original ones they stem from.
It seems that my efforts here have been causing a lot of ill will. That is perhaps the understatement of the year, but it is the least of what is needed.

The updated scripts provide (in most cases) no functional difference from the original. Where in minor cases they differ is only in very obvious places that the original OXP author would update had they known about it.

I ask please Lestradae do not incorporate my update versions of the script if it means renaming them to create separate versions of them. I believe there is no benefit in keeping them unless the original author is happy with them too.

Please don't feel pressured to use what I've done because of the effort that's gone in to them. I ask instead for guidance instead, so that my efforts can have some positive benefit instead.
-- Paul Wilkins
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

pmw57, I am sorry and also a bit angry concerning the ill will.

After breathing deeply and counting to ten, we just have to accept that the way we went at the whole attempt was probably not enough thought through concerning the human side of the equation :wink:

I suggest following the OSE development thread, I am posting my current thoughts which are up for discussion and scrutiny there. From there on, we will develop a new procedure of how to do this, and I think this new procedure will have to and should involve the original oxp makers if they care to.

Cheers

L
pmw57
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: ...

Post by pmw57 »

Lestradae wrote:
I suggest following the OSE development thread, I am posting my current thoughts which are up for discussion and scrutiny there. From there on, we will develop a new procedure of how to do this, and I think this new procedure will have to and should involve the original oxp makers if they care to.
I am fully with you here on this one. What is best is not what's best for the code, but for the people instead.

Where an oxp is considered abandoned we can do what we may with it, but in most cases the original authors are fully involved and their wishes must be paramount. There is no benefit to be found in moving ahead without them.

I would like for you to consider where you can take best advantage of my efforts. My efforts in "improve the code" have largely resulted in fucking people off. This is perhaps not the best way to say things but I suspect, is truer than we may think.

As a result, I am wanting to remedy some of the damage by looking to the community at large for advice on where my efforts may be best placed. Whether that is converting a legacy plist, or working with an oxp author on some code, I would like to offer up such decisions to you and the community at large.
-- Paul Wilkins
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Perhaps you could start at the point why we actually went forwards altering original scripts in the first place:

Suggesting to the original oxp authors your solution concerning the timer issues that can crash the game.

They will, I assume, be interested in fixing that, and I can/will go back to updating OSE with their then-still-original scripts. As completely branching OSE from the oxps which constitute it would be a bad idea in any case!

One word though to the frakkin' off people. I sometimes have the impression that happens much to easily here. This board is quite mature compared to most I have observed (yet), but perhaps preaching the "breathing deeply and counting to ten before you post/write PMs" - method wouldn't be too wrong. I at least try to do that nowadays 8)

Thanks for your help and I assume - as said - that this board and its inhabitants are mature enough that this is not the end of your assistance here or over there at OSE :wink:

L
pmw57
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: ..

Post by pmw57 »

Lestradae wrote:
Thanks for your help and I assume - as said - that this board and its inhabitants are mature enough that this is not the end of your assistance here or over there at OSE :wink:
Oh no, most certainly not the end. Just aim me in what is considered an appropriate direction and fire me off. :D
-- Paul Wilkins