Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Updating the OSE deep space pirates script

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: ..

Post by Kaks »

Screet wrote:
Looks like it's sometimes really easy to miss an update.
Couldn't agree more! And that also explains why, despite L's best efforts, OSE would still have some outdated js code in it.

Once it's all renamed, hopefully it should be easier to identify which one is which, and bring both versions up to date.

In an ideal world it would also be great if the authors of the original OXPs were notified when their code is 'adopted'/modified, and if the original authors let - hmm, the OSE team, I suppose - know when they made changes to their own OXPs.

'The OSE team' sounds a bit too vague. I believe that - as well as Hotrods - both Far Sun & TTY are in there too. If I change anything in the foreseeable future, it'd be great to know who to actually contact.

Cheers

Kaks
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Kaks wrote:
Once it's all renamed, hopefully it should be easier to identify which one is which, and bring both versions up to date.

In an ideal world it would also be great if the authors of the original OXPs were notified when their code is 'adopted'/modified, and if the original authors let - hmm, the OSE team, I suppose - know when they made changes to their own OXPs.
Amen. Couldn't agree more.

If you read what I wrote in the OSE thread (dropped you a PM about it :wink: ) I am starting to think into your direction. I want OSE to be a bundle or originals with, due to the synergy effects, extra stuff on top of it, but not "something else".
Kaks wrote:
'The OSE team' sounds a bit too vague. I believe that - as well as Hotrods - both Far Sun & TTY are in there too. If I change anything in the foreseeable future, it'd be great to know who to actually contact.
That would be me, please. I am counting Screet, pmw57 and matthewfarmery as "OSE Team" atm, but whatever gets accorded with me I'll talk through with them, as long as they choose to actively help me with this :D

Btw, Hotrods plus TTY is definitely in (the cool font in the screenshots, that's from Kaks :) ) but not Far Sun.

Cheers

L
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Kaks wrote:
Yes...but that might still leave many people using configurations with old versions if they are not using OSE. That thought gave me this idea:

Currently, people have a thread for oxps and often announce updates there, but sometimes they simply write that in some other thread (e.g. when a bug was fixed or there was no original thread for that oxp).

What could be very helpful would be a thread which is ONLY used by oxp authors to announce updates. Thus, everyone doesn't have to regularly check the wiki (it's a pain to check newest versions there, sometimes requires to go into any installed oxp's page as even the overview does not always show latest changes and the date of the latest release) but simply has to read the latest messages in the common "oxp updates" thread. Maybe if oxp authors write there, it's also easier for them not to forget the wiki (both oxp page and overview page!).

Screet
pmw57
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pmw57 »

Lestradae wrote:
As I already said in another thread, I will "OSE-ify" the OSE scripts as it seems they are starting to diverge on the original oxps they stem from.
If I can butt in here, I would ask that you please don't OSE-ify the scripts. I would rather that the updated scripts be discarded if their use means maintaining separate versions of the one OXP.

There's no point in these updates if the original authors aren't happy with the work.

What is needed is for someone who's been here for a while to triage the OXPs so that my efforts can go to where they're truly wanted.
A trumble a day keeps the doctor away, and the tax man;
even the Grim Reaper keeps his distance.
-- Paul Wilkins