Tionisla Orbital Graveyard

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Murgh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Murgh »

well done, and congrats with recouping your losses. and may the wife be well.

is the shipdata already available to d/l on your page?
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

It should be.

I haven't changed the shipdata file since before my extended leave of absence.
Murgh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Murgh »

but is this shipdata then complete with the objects that are to be included?

also, is the TGY.oxp to be kept in the format it was last seen in, and not to be converted to ascii (or whatever, excuse my igno)..?
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

No, it's not. I have to totally rework the shipdata file to add the new monument models.

It looks like the PC version is now only compatible with XML, the ascii files seem to not be recognised... more when I know more.
Murgh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Murgh »

well good luck on that. how many objects are you shooting for in the whole TGY? how big an area?
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

At the moment, we're looking at about between 250 and 300 entities, over an area about 5000m square.

Can someone point me in the direction of a sample planetinfo.plist file in XML?

EDIT: actually, aftger looking at the shipdata.plist file on my memory stick, it looks like it might be the finished article. In ascii, but with all the right objects in there.

Yup - it definitely is. I'll get to work on XMLing it up, unless someone else wants to do it... :wink:
Murgh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Murgh »

I need some education, if someone wouldn't mind giving it.

2 types:

both these formats call themselves XML, I have become comfortable with the one on the left, and PCs only read the right one?
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

The one on the left is an XML file. The one on the right is the one I call ASCII, and it's the left one that the first PC version could read.

Now that the PC version has a working XML parser, it seems to have lost the ability to read the ASCII version, so everything will have to be recoded into the left hand format.
Murgh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Murgh »

ah thank you.

but we'd all be very happy with just XML then. that's great.
dajt
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by dajt »

Selezen wrote:
Now that the PC version has a working XML parser, it seems to have lost the ability to read the ASCII version, so everything will have to be recoded into the left hand format.
I'd double-check that... many of the plist files are still in the ASCII format. If the PC port couldn't read them the game wouldn't run at all.
Regards,
David Taylor.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Hmm... seems odd then. I tried my ASCII version of Murgh's old Wolf Mk II OXP, but the new version didn't read it at all. On the previous PC version, I had to cut and paste the code into the main game's plists, though. Anyway, I did a straight conversion of the code to XML format, and it worked fine!

The TOGY expansion doesn't read at all. I'll be converting it to XML today (time permitting) anyway, so I'll let you know what happens there, in case it's an error in my code.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Further news. The TOGY development OXP now seems to be getting read by Oolite. The shipdata.plist is being read (in the ASCII format version). I have tested this by creating a demoships.plist file and seeing if the models load into the main demo at the start of the game. They do.

Therefore, the oxp is being loaded. Unfortunately, I can't find any evidence of the planetinfo.plist file being read in, as the objects do not appear in Tionisla orbitspace.

Rxke and A_H: I have now loaded all of your monuments into Oolite (via the demoships.plist) and they all look fine! Nice work, guys.

I'll keep looking into the planetinfo.plist problem and keep you notified.

Edit @ 15:30: Scratch that - planetinfo.plist is being read now. I'm using the old version, and it works ok, so now I am going to try using the new code...

Edit @ 16:07: The new planetinfo.plist file is WORKING! It looks vaguely spiral-like now, but it's difficult to tell for one unfortunate reason. Some of the monument models are HUGE!!! Rik: the latin crucifix, cube monolith, wooden crucifix and chaos models need to be reduced in size - preferably to under 100 units (units as given at the top of the .dat file).

Other than that, it's looking good! My eyes maybe decieved me, but the Dodo station looked like it was spinning too!!!
Murgh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Murgh »

congrats.
someone should nudge A_H away from the frat parties.

is the Dodo TGY specific skinned, or a generic one?
are you keeping the TGYdev.oxp somewhere it could be d/l'd?

btw I uploaded some pics to the testpics of TGYgroup..
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

BIG news. And a reply to Murgh: the Dodo is a generic one. Might design a custom one at some point, but been against this so far.

I have just uploaded the first PLAYABLE test version of the Tionisla Orbital Graveyard to the TionislaGY group. Download tgy_dev.zip and pop it into your AddOns folder to have a look. it should be compatible with all versions of Oolite, and still uses ASCII style for the files. I have also included a demoships.plist with all the models in so you can have a look at the monuments, beacon and first derelict ship in the demo.

How to find the GY:
Leave Tionisla station. Wheel round so you are facing the sun. There should be some objects visible about a couple of cm from the sun's corona - head for that.

To Do:
- Some of the models are too big, and need to be rescaled. The beacon used here is the large version - a small version does exist, but I used the big version for this test to make it easier to see.
- Tweaking of the layout slightly, to allow for more space.
- Waiting for a custom Krait model from Arnoud.
- Rik needs to rescale a few of the monument models - these have been omitted for the moment.
- all AI work needs to be done (Murgh - figure 8 patrol?).

Features:
- 7 Monuments (designed by Rxke, Arexack_Heretic and Murgh) and 1 derelict ship type (Adder - skinned by me, model by Aegidian)
- perimeter beacons
- dockable Dodo station
- Krait patrol ships (eventually)
- custom Lancet-class defence ships (2 variants)

Enjoy! Work will continue!!
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Murgh: Dude, those pics ROCK!

I like the celtic disk and the Mjolnir and the Tao and the broken ships. Dammit man, .dat your models up and send them on in!!! That 'ancient Python' looks the business for a graveyard model...

Whoever did the broken stuff, and the JBJ's cobra models, why the hell haven't you told me about these before!!! Wow!