Multyplayer Oolite

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Vorm
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Multyplayer Oolite

Post by Vorm »

I have played Oolite for a number of years now and I love the game but I would like to see a version of oolite that I can play with my friends over the net with.

The new version of oolite could still have some computer generated and controlled ships to make it more interesting. Commanders could still earn money and buy equipment in the same way. But it would be unable to to take any oxps.
CptnEcho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Multyplayer Oolite

Post by CptnEcho »

Vorm wrote:
I have played Oolite for a number of years now and I love the game but I would like to see a version of oolite that I can play with my friends over the net with.

The new version of oolite could still have some computer generated and controlled ships to make it more interesting. Commanders could still earn money and buy equipment in the same way. But it would be unable to to take any oxps.
What you're proposing has been suggested before. (Search past forum topics.)
There are limitations to the current programming that make multiplayer gameplay impossible at this time. It is my understanding that a completely new game would have to be written, with multiplayer functionality, in order for it to happen.

There has been speculation that Elite IV may contain multiplayer features. That's just speculation, mind you.
"I shouldn't have taken off in this crate without more ammo..." Sergeant Knox - Star Blazers
phonebook
Deadly
Deadly

Post by phonebook »

and it would be expensive, and it would take away from the game, and so many other things to boot!!!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Hi Vorm.. as a fellow Aussie, let me be the first to welcome you to the boards! 8) :D

Short answer is, it won't happen mate.. the long answer, with detailed reasons, can be found in this thread, which I highly recommend you read..

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=6173
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied