Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Photorealistic Oolite?

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Oolite has good graphics?

The graphics are good enough.
46%
The graphics could use some improvement.
54%

Total votes: 52

Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Commander Learner wrote:
Seriously, those screenshots were beyond my imagination, that's good enough....even better than EA already!

Say ,how do you get them again :?: :P
Look at page 1 of this topic for pictures and a download link.
And Simons work can be found here
Both try also to replace the core ships. So currently they are not fully compatible. They tend to overwrite each other. This causes no problems with game play itself other than that you don't see all the ships that were defined. This problem will be solved in future releases of those oxp's.
Simon has remade all internal ships while Griff is still busy. In the current versions of both authors you get Griff's ships and when not yet available (or not installed) you get Simon's version.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I've got Simon B's neolite pack installed as a replacement for the core set and I also have Griff's ships in the Ooniverse - I see both in the game (mainly Simon B's because his replace the core set)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Commander Learner
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Commander Learner »

Awesome!Got it already!

*Goes berserk* :P
Shooting polygons since 2001
wildstar
Competent
Competent

How to take in-game oolite screen shot by commander McLane

Post by wildstar »

Commander McLane wrote:
Here's the easy step-by-step explanation. Be my guest:
  1. Download the respective OXPs.
  2. Install them. :P
  3. Fire up your game.
  4. Turn your main screen to the most beautiful thing you see.
  5. Press 'P' to pause the game.
  6. Press 'O' to disable your HUD display.
  7. Press '*' to take a screenshot.
  8. Press 'N' to re-enable your HUD display.
  9. Open the screenshot conveniently named 'Oolite-001.png' (or any other number, I leave that to your imagination) and residing in your main Oolite folder in your favorite viewer.
  10. Enjoy. :wink:
THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!!!!!!

i been wondering how to do this for a while now.
Image B4 = Elite on c64 & now = Oolite1.73.4repositories UBUNTU OpenGL2.1.2 NVIDIA180.44 & vertex shaders eVGA GeForce7950GT512 P4-3.2mhz/3gb
Kurt
Harmless
Harmless

Post by Kurt »

When I installed SimonB's Neolite models, I see them when I start up the game in the little ship showcase, but I don't see them in the game proper. For example, I hit F3-F3 and the Cobra Mk. I shown there is the original model.

When I installed a Griff's models, I don't see them in the start up showcase, but they show up in the game itself.

Am I doing something wrong here?
Ex Turbo Modestum
JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JeffBTX »

Kurt wrote:
When I installed SimonB's Neolite models, I see them when I start up the game in the little ship showcase, but I don't see them in the game proper. For example, I hit F3-F3 and the Cobra Mk. I shown there is the original model.

When I installed a Griff's models, I don't see them in the start up showcase, but they show up in the game itself.

Am I doing something wrong here?
I basically asked this same question myself recently.

To see them, the modded ships need a demoships.plist to appear in the "startup showcase".

You would have to learn a little about coding, and then use something OTHER than Windows NotePad (I have been using the free NotePad++) to put a demoships.plist together (or maybe is "demoship" versus demoships... I forget, but check the wiki).
Sword, thy name is Cobra. And Cobra has fangs!
NigelJK
Deadly
Deadly

Post by NigelJK »

I got hooked playing elite with just the wire frames, but then it was leading edge graphics (along with Aviator)! It's the game play that is so intoxicating. I do like ne better textures however.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

You can still turn the wireframe mode on in Oolite's options menu. I do that sometimes (rarely) and it's fun. :D
silly_sad
Average
Average

Post by silly_sad »

(1) it is not good to mix classic and "realistic" skins.
(2) the oolite with a lot of OXPs installed ALREADY too slow.
(3) "realistic" skins are... far away from the entire game schematic. it is like a one leg longer than the rest.
(4) "Elite" culture.

I vote for rollback to plain skins.
OR
_moderate_ upgrade of _ALL_ existing ships in the ooneverse (not adding too much visual garbage).

And (please) tell me why planets not always correctly illuminated as it is only star but looks like it is not the only star in a system? It is MUCH CONFUSING when u clearly see a star behind a planet and its visible side is illuminated instead of dark!
(1.74 + Far Sun + Planet Fall)
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

silly_sad wrote:
You can always choose not to install an OXP. The Oolite eyecandy'ishness depends entirely on what OXPs you install or don't install. The core game does have plain skins.
silly_sad
Average
Average

Post by silly_sad »

maik wrote:
silly_sad wrote:
You can always choose not to install an OXP. The Oolite eyecandy'ishness depends entirely on what OXPs you install or don't install. The core game does have plain skins.
do you think the OXPs are the skins themselves only ?
Last edited by silly_sad on Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

silly_sad wrote:
And (please) tell me why planets not always correctly illuminated as it is only star but looks like it is not the only star in a system? It is MUCH CONFUSING when u clearly see a star behind a planet and its visible side is illuminated instead of dark!
This can be caused by the ambient light level (= the amount of light which goes to the unlit parts of planets etc.) being set too high. There are a couple of OXPs which set the ambient_level key, notably System Redux, but also other OXPs.

You would find out which they are and adjust the level to something lower. The default is 1.0, System Redux sets it to 1.5 (I believe) throughout the Ooniverse. Personally I prefer less ambient light with a value of 0.75. There are also other OXPs which set the value high for certain selected systems only. So it is a bit fiddly to make a general change, because so many OXPs can affect the ambient light level.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

silly_sad wrote:
do you think the OXPs are the skins themselves only ?
Some are, some aren't. Thargoid mentioned this on the first page of this thread.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

silly_sad wrote:
(1) it is not good to mix classic and "realistic" skins.
(2) the oolite with a lot of OXPs installed ALREADY too slow.
(3) "realistic" skins are... far away from the entire game schematic. it is like a one leg longer than the rest.
(4) "Elite" culture.

OR
_moderate_ upgrade of _ALL_ existing ships in the ooneverse (not adding too much visual garbage).

1) Really? 2048 planets - hundreds of different cultures and races - do you not think, with ship manufacturers trying to please different markets that ships with the same names might "look" different - just take cars here in RL(tm) the VW Golf for example, it's changed a lot in 30 years - boxy to curved, standard models, GTi versions, VR6, R32, pimped and souped up, cut and lowered, hatchbacks, estates, coupes and saloons - I think the ships in Oolite should be at least as diverse as this!

2) Depends on the oxps - depends on the performance of the machine - my own desktop PC: Athlon 2800+, 2.5GB RAM 128MB GF6600GT, chugs a bit, my work laptop: Core2, 6GB RAM, 512MB 9800GT M, no problems at all.

3) As we don't have hyperspacing spaceships for real, it's hard define what's therefore "realistic" - I prefer simply what looks/feels "right" (and that's to me - YMMV)

4) While we all hold Elite very dear - lots of us are 40ish +/- a few years, but Oolite is different, it's not Elite, if I wanted to play Elite I'd fire it up on my C64, or my Amiga, or the DOS version on my PC, or any number of Emulated version or even Elite:TNK. Oolite is fast approaching the point where all the blank bits created by Rob Holdstock when I was 13 are actually in the game - and that's the way I like it!

I say - more, not less!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
silly_sad
Average
Average

Post by silly_sad »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
silly_sad wrote:
3) As we don't have hyperspacing spaceships for real, it's hard define what's therefore "realistic"
do you think the hyperspacing and the "realistic" textures are a good ensemble?

I think what i said before.