Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Suggestions for slight modification of keys for..

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

hj1an
Average
Average

Suggestions for slight modification of keys for..

Post by hj1an »

...cargo dumping & escape pod activation.

Hi all I'm kinda new to Oolite, I had downloaded it when it was version 1.4 something but after a slow start never really got around to it until just recently.

Lately, I was wondering if the key mapping could be modified for the above two keys for the reason that sometimes in the heat of battle or whatnot I would accidentally depress the ESC or D keys (D more often than ESC - but occasionally I still hit ESC out of reflex to "exit" most software games). So, my suggestion is to have the escape / dumping sequence activated only on the *second* key press - meaning you would have to tap ESC or D twice in succession to do so.

Perhaps on the first key press a message will flash on the HUD in bright red "EJECT / DUMP CARGO" for about 3 seconds. If there is no response for the second key press after 3 seconds then it will be reset and the command would be ignored.

Just my 2 cents.

P.S. Oolite is awesome. It took me almost 2 years to realize this :roll: Kudos to those who made the game available for us
Rustybolts
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rustybolts »

Welcome to the boards!
The keys can be altered although not in a very user friendly way.
If you alter the file keyconfig.plist with a text editor. Don't forget to hold down shift for the full duration of first load of Oolite, release after reaching menu screen.
keyconifig.plist can be found \oolite.app\Resources\Config.
STE.+ Firefly/Dragonfly + BlackJacksbullion v.1.23 link below.
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=ca16 ... f6e8ebb871
Greyman
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Greyman »

In case you play Oolite on a Mac you can also download the Oolite keymapper (look at my signature). With this utility you can create a keyconfig.plist to your liking in more convenient way.

If you are running another OS I could supply the REALbasic source code for the Keymapper.

EDIT: Keymapper v1.7.1 will still run on Snow Leopard

Greetings,

Greyman
Get the Oolite Keymapper for Mac here!
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

Rather than making alterations to the keyconfig.plist found in \oolite.app\Resources\Config, I would recommend the following:

1. In your \Oolite\AddOns folder, create a new folder named KeyChanges.Oxp (or some other suitable name).

2. Inside that folder, create another folder named Config.

3. Copy the keyconfig.plist from \oolite.app\Resources\Config to this location.

4. Alter the copy as you see fit.

This way, you can always fall back to the original by remove the OXP in the event of a catastrophic mistake. Also, when upgrading versions, AddOns are retained. You won't have to repeat your work every time.
Rustybolts
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rustybolts »

Cmd. Cheyd wrote:
Rather than making alterations to the keyconfig.plist found in \oolite.app\Resources\Config, I would recommend the following:

1. In your \Oolite\AddOns folder, create a new folder named KeyChanges.Oxp (or some other suitable name).

2. Inside that folder, create another folder named Config.

3. Copy the keyconfig.plist from \oolite.app\Resources\Config to this location.

4. Alter the copy as you see fit.

This way, you can always fall back to the original by remove the OXP in the event of a catastrophic mistake. Also, when upgrading versions, AddOns are retained. You won't have to repeat your work every time.
Cool tip think ill use that one myself :D
STE.+ Firefly/Dragonfly + BlackJacksbullion v.1.23 link below.
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=ca16 ... f6e8ebb871
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Still, having an 'are you sure?' thing for the cargo might be an idea.

The escape pod will have to always eject immediately, though: it normally is just a matter of a split second between seeing imminent death and ejecting: even a slight delay might be the difference between a narrow escape and very annoying death...
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
hj1an
Average
Average

Post by hj1an »

Greyman wrote:
In case you play Oolite on a Mac you can also download the Oolite keymapper (look at my signature). With this utility you can create a keyconfig.plist to your liking in more convenient way.

If you are running another OS I could supply the REALbasic source code for the Keymapper.

EDIT: Keymapper v1.7.1 will still run on Snow Leopard

Greetings,

Greyman
Greyman, thank you. Yes, I'm on Mac and funny you mention that, 'cause I saw that very app last night too. However, I didn't make any changes as of yet - no confidence to do so at the moment. I might be looking to update Oolite too, as I'm still on version 1.4-something..

kaks wrote:
Still, having an 'are you sure?' thing for the cargo might be an idea.

The escape pod will have to always eject immediately, though: it normally is just a matter of a split second between seeing imminent death and ejecting: even a slight delay might be the difference between a narrow escape and very annoying death...
Well, only if you remember to tap it twice quickly, I guess, but you're right - if such a change were to take place I imagine that lots of people will be caught off guard too. There are lots of combat flight sims I've played that feature double tapping ESC, or a combo of ctrl+e or shift+e for eject, and I'm sure many people still eject in time.

Or, how about having the pod automatically eject when it senses ship destruction? That would solve a lot of problems (taking a cue from survival designs of F1 boat racing).

Also thank you Rustybolts & Cmd. Cheyd for the config tips. I'll look into it when I really get the hang of the configs. Right now I'm still a poor trader shooting at space rocks for easy money. :oops:

P.S. I realize that this should be put in the Suggestions Box forum, I apologize for this and if the mods could move it to the appropriate place would be highly appreciated.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

There is nothing stopping you from assigning the 'E' (Shift + e) key for launching the escape pod. All it takes is a simple edit in keyconfig.plist:

Code: Select all

key_launch_escapepod		= "E";		// escape
This way you cannot trigger the launch by accident, or at least the chances of accidental launch are dramatically reduced.

Oh, about the automatic pod eject when near destruction: No.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

hj1an wrote:
... I might be looking to update Oolite too, as I'm still on version 1.4-something..
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

OMG, that must have been, when?, some time around the early bronze age?!? :wink:

No you shouldn't be looking to update Oolite, but do it, and do it now: http://developer.berlios.de/project/sho ... e_id=16749
hj1an
Average
Average

Post by hj1an »

Commander McLane wrote:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

OMG, that must have been, when?, some time around the early bronze age?!? :wink:

No you shouldn't be looking to update Oolite, but do it, and do it now: http://developer.berlios.de/project/sho ... e_id=16749

Oh dear, I must've hyperspaced into another dimension where time sits still while the rest of you moved on. :lol:

Will update immediately - btw, hopefully the savegames will be compatible?
hj1an
Average
Average

Post by hj1an »

another_commander wrote:
I can understand why..... and I know I'm pushing with the following question; but how about a 50/50 pod eject on destruction? :wink: Just asking though.

Will look into the key mapping thing, especially for the cargo dumping.

Thanks all, very helpful forum.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

hj1an wrote:
another_commander wrote:
I can understand why..... and I know I'm pushing with the following question; but how about a 50/50 pod eject on destruction? :wink: Just asking though.
I cannot speak for others, but my personal philosophy on this matter is that the player must play the game and not the other way round. So my vote is still no.
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

I'm in two minds.

On the one hand, automatic safety equipment is becoming commonplace even with our primitive technology, one can only assume that it would be standard.

On the other hand, automation in general is becoming commonplace, so where would we stop (ie, auto-targeting lasers, auto-trading, etc etc Some of this is starting to come in already through OXPs).

At the end of the day, a decision must be made as to what would be most 'fun' - after all, it's a game, not a sim.
Perhaps if enough people want an auto-escape-pod (maybe as an equipment upgrade?) we could add it in as an option, but personally I don't think we should change the default behavior.
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Personally (as the author of one or two of said incoming OXPs) I would agree to make it certainly optional (either via OXP or requiring purchase), and also don't make it completely foolproof and reliable.

Just because we have airbags in cars now doesn't stop people still getting killed in them, and equally (for example) the AMS doesn't always (by code design) manage to kill missiles it targets. It helps to protect the players ship, but it doesn't make it missile-invulnerable.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

For everyone's information, in the 1.74 (trunk) code there is already the ship script method abandonShip, which can be used to launch a ship's escape pod (or pods, if it carries more than one). A scripter can issue the command to abandon ship when the energy level is close to 0.