Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

need oolite creds!!

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

zoggie
Above Average
Above Average

need oolite creds!!

Post by zoggie »

:roll: probably been discussed before , i used to play elite on the spectrum.that dates me a bit !!
... is the only way to earn creds hard slog , err like the old days
lost in space, what space ? witchspace!!
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

- many OXPs allow you to earn creds quickly.
- sell your ship and get a smaller one. (not really recommended)
- <cheat> edit your commanderfile. (there is no checksum safety to facillitate OXPing).
- kill thargoids and scoop their thargons. This is slagging, not slogging.

-edit: the blackmonks oxp will lend you money too.
Last edited by Arexack_Heretic on Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Riding the Rocket!
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

There's always the Bank of St Herod, although their customer services department leaves a lot to be desired ...

Welcome to the forum, by the way!
Last edited by Disembodied on Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

To be honest, you can earn enough trading in a couple of days to buy a large ship (I went with a Hamadryad) and then you can make more or less as much money as you want. In that sense, because you can trade up to a big ship, whereas before you were always limited to a little cobbie, it is much easier to make money.

Compared to the money in trading, I dont think its sensible to try to earn cash bounty hunting, except possibly from selling dropped cargo. Much quicker to trade for cash, especially the old furs/computers routes.

Selling a ship for a smaller one doesnt really work, as you take a huge hit on the trade in value, and then you are left with a nasty cheap ship that you cant do much with.
Arexack_Heretic
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

not going to become elite with that attitude... ;)
Riding the Rocket!
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Go bounty hunting in your 2.85 million CR imperial courier, that's a good way to earn cash...
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
zoggie
Above Average
Above Average

Post by zoggie »

:twisted: thanks .. comanders ... looks like a bit o pirating is in order :lol:
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

First money, then power and kills.

Spend your last 100Cr on pimping out your cobra, and you will be lucky to earn enough to refiull the fuel tanks. Wait a couple of days, get some cash behind you, and its the Happy Hunting Grounds.
Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sendraks »

Cmdr James wrote:
Selling a ship for a smaller one doesnt really work, as you take a huge hit on the trade in value, and then you are left with a nasty cheap ship that you cant do much with.
Certainly not at the outset, no, you'll do yourself more harm than good tradiing the cobby mkIII for a smaller ship, but once you've got more money......well.

My experience is that if you're wanting to make cash, a reasonably priced hauler rather than one of the big expensive ones, is the way to go, simply because of ship depreciation. You lose less money through depreciation on a Python than you will on an Imp Courier and in terms of raw trading volume, they are about the same. But, with the python you will lose much less cash through depreciation.

The bigger more expensive ships come into their own if you're going into the hauling business where, through hard work, you can make your way to very profitable contracts.

I think bounty hunting and doing missions for the navy can be very profitable, although as ventures go they can be high risk. Depends how you want to play really and if you're comfortable in the ship you're in and not in any rush to replace it, they're enjoyable pasttimes.
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

My experience is that if you're wanting to make cash, a reasonably priced hauler rather than one of the big expensive ones, is the way to go, simply because of ship depreciation. You lose less money through depreciation on a Python than you will on an Imp Courier and in terms of raw trading volume, they are about the same.
How many people are going to sell their IC to buy something else? what else is out there better than an IC, for the purposes of what an IC does?
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
zoggie
Above Average
Above Average

Post by zoggie »

got the black monks oxp ... debated it amongst myself and i ... that tie fighter seems sooo far away :cry:
zoggie
Above Average
Above Average

Post by zoggie »

:lol: the python the "eddie stobartt of the ooniverse " :wink:
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

If you take the loan, make darn sure you pay it back! :wink:

Fit your ship with a large cargo bay, beam laser, fuel injectors, an ecm and a docking computer.

Bounce between an argricultual and an industrial filling your bay with furs at the ag and computers at the industrial. In about ten runs you'll have enough to pay the monks back. Don't blow it all on equipping your ship!
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

"Eddie Stoobart" must be one for YAH.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Arexack_Heretic

I love to trade'n'tramp in my trusty python the "Solid Spear", but for quick scooting around, the red racing adder (nr.5 IIRC) was my favorite. The boosted Krait is fast, but just not as nimble.
All round the Cobra MkIII is hard to beat (while avoiding super-ship oxps) for general pirating and smuggling, very nimble, highly upgradable and lots of cargospace for the loot.
:)
Trading down is not really a good option, unless you are intentionally looking for a challenge. (The down on luck pirate challenge, learn to feel some empathy for those poor pirates)
Riding the Rocket!