Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

What version of Mac OS X do you use? (redux)

Discussion and announcements regarding the Mac port… er, original version of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

What version of Mac OS X do you use?

Poll ended at Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:10 pm

13%
10.3.9, intend to upgrade to Intel-based Mac with 10.6
No votes
10.4.x
13%
10.4.x, intend to upgrade to 10.6
4%
17%
10.5, intend to upgrade to 10.6
52%
I’m already using 10.6
No votes

Total votes: 23

Greyman
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Greyman »

Ahruman wrote:
They’re running out, though. The only big cats left are clouded leopard, Bornean clouded leopard and lion. Then there are various synonyms for ones they’ve already used: cougar, mountain lion, catamount, ounce. (they’ve already used both leopard and panther).
Even though I don't want to be a smart-a** there's also the serval or even the jaguarundi (also eyra cat) - admittedly not very big cats, but still fierce. So there's still lots to do for Apple :D They might even get all the decimals filled up to to OS XI :P

By the way, starting from today you may order Snow Leopard from the Apple Store at 29 Euros (or whatever equivalent in Pounds).
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Greyman wrote:
Even though I don't want to be a smart-a** there's also the serval or even the jaguarundi (also eyra cat) - admittedly not very big cats, but still fierce.
While I have nothing at all against those cats (or lynxes or caracals), Apple marketing might feel that moving to species that are unambiguously not big cats could be sending the wrong message. :-)
Greyman
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Greyman »

haven't thought about that!

Well, I rest my case :roll:
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

So here's the real question: What will the OSXI scheme be? Big fish?
11.3 Tuna
11.5 Shark
11.6 Sand Shark
11.7 White Shark
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Isn't there a list around somewhere with all cat names trademarked by Apple? From there it would be relatively easy to conclude the upcoming upgrade path.

@ Ahruman: I take your point about the hugeness of the upgrade. I only had a look at it from the end user's perspective, and--also as Apple's marketing went--then Time Machine etc. looked bigger than the new features of SL. But of course that says nothing about the internal perspective. And I was also impressed by halving the disk-space needed for the OS.

By the way: Has anybody mentioned yet that "SL" sounds more like a Mercedes than like an operating system? 8)
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Commander McLane wrote:
By the way: Has anybody mentioned yet that "SL" sounds more like a Mercedes than like an operating system?
A continuation of the trend started with “iPhone 3G S”? We’ll be seeing a return to names like “Performa 5317 xl” any month now…
JohnnyBoy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JohnnyBoy »

Commander McLane wrote:
Isn't there a list around somewhere with all cat names trademarked by Apple? From there it would be relatively easy to conclude the upcoming upgrade path.
"Apple has also registered "Lynx" and "Cougar" as trademarks, though these were allowed to lapse." -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X#Versions
"That's no vicious Treeoid. That's my wife."
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Apple doesn't officially call it SL, they call it snow leopard... sort of like the iTouch, which, by the way, really annoys me when people call it that. It's called the iDoEverything, people!
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

Ahruman wrote:
10.3.9 support; I’m curious as to who’s still using it, and why.
I am still using it because all my resource material (music, maths, physics & education) is in the form of DIAGRAMS.

music scores are diagrams
complicated statistical stuff is beyond the capability of any sort of WP I've ever seen, so I do them as diagrams
physics - diagrams - self explanatory

All these diagrams are created using a drawing application, all on Mac, ranging from early ClarisWorks (i.e. before AppleWorks, but identical from a user point of view) to the present using up-grades as available via AppleWorks in its various incarnations until I bought Leopard 10.5.1 plus the iWorks stuff (now sold separately).

iWorks (just a new name for AppleWorks I thought, probably better, as AppleWorks was better than the ClarisWorks it replaced) DOES NOT HAVE A DRAWING (MacDraw) EQUIVALENT. IT WILL NOT READ ANY MacDRAW FILES AT ALL.

This is not just a lack of backwards compatibility with earlier versions of the app., it is the complete removal of the application.

The only way I could access my material was to re-install 10.3.9 (supplied to me by Apple in the States) (they wouldn't supply anything that I was not a registered user for e.g. 10.4) (they wouldn't supply any upgrades, either, for other applications - I could buy the latest version, but they require 10.5.x)

So I'm stuck with 10.3.9, until I'm ready to invest several thousand credits in a new system..
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Probably just a silly question, but have you tried eazydraw?

http://www.eazydraw.com/MacDraw.htm

According to their own blurb, it should be exactly what you'd need, to keep using macdraw files with 10.5+
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

Thank-you for your interest :)

Yes, I have tried this, supplied by an AppleCentre, but it won't open MacDraw files. There were a few others, too.

iWorks will open MacDraw files if they have been pasted onto a spreadsheet - we discovered at a PremiumReseller outlet during a lengthy episode of experimentation, and many of my files are pasted on spreadsheets - but nothing I've found so far will read plain old MacDraw.

New diagrams in iWorks are in some other format. I will eventually get another computer, MacPro for work, keep iMac for archive & translate saved files as I go..
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Zbond-Zbond wrote:
So I'm stuck with 10.3.9, until I'm ready to invest several thousand credits in a new system..
Here's a question: What is the exchange rate for credits to USD or other earth currencies?
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Please, dont ask that, or we will be back on EVE/isk trading that we only just escaped from :D
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

No I'm just wondering: how many dollars to a cr? A LOT, judging by the fact that a ton of food costs around 2 cr...
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Using metric tonnes for convenience, and assuming that the universal standard unit of food is the potato, I estimate that at today's exchange rates, ₢1 = £100. At any rate, it's obviously a unit of currency designed for bulk trading!