Is there a list of stuff going to be deprecated ...

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Is there a list of stuff going to be deprecated ...

Post by Lestradae »

Is there a list of stuff going to be deprecated and also of the methods/commands needed to replace the deprecated stuff for future Oolite?

Having such a list would stop me from asking every single time, apologies if one existed and I was not able to find it.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

I dont think there is likely to be. Deprecated means "we decided to remove this, please dont use it", so typically there will not be a pre-deprecation list, simply because once its decided, it will be deprecated. Perhaps people may have some opinions or predictions, but I dont think you will get anything clear.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: Is there a list of stuff going to be deprecated ...

Post by Eric Walch »

Lestradae wrote:
Is there a list of stuff going to be deprecated and also of the methods/commands needed to replace the deprecated stuff for future Oolite?
I think all deprecated comands/methods are announced in progress over the time.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

most annoying deprecations so far In my humble opinion

Player.ship

and

setPosition replaced with the more common method of =
setOrientation replaced with the more common method =

element brackets
this.ship.position= ([x,y,z])

current most annoying warning

when abs is used in planetinfo.plist we get a warning like this

warning abs is intended for dynamic positioning only..

"intended"....

Either do or don't, in this case I cannot see a reason for the warning if the code is able to use abs, then so be it. nor do I see a reason for abs not being able to be used from inside the planetinfo.plist, since abs is the most logical coordinate system to use..

abs is just so much more logical to use, than eclipse planes which what pws and its combinations essentially is.

:-)

Cheers Frame
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Player.ship isn't quite deprecated yet! Do you mean the move from player.fuel to player.ship.fuel, etc?

As per the abs system, the problem is that there's no way anyone can guarantee that the sun, main station, main planet, and witchpoint buoy are ever going to stay in the same place for any given system. Indeed, with orbits, the planets move all over the place!

We've now updated parts of the engine so that - at least for 1.73 - the system features created by Oolite are in exactly the same place across platforms, and independent of games settings.

However, just recently we had to redefine the spot the witchpoint buoy is created, just to avoid people with the YAH oxp crashing onto the buoy ads. In the unlikely event that someone wanted to place something precisely in the vicinity of the buoy using abs, they'd have to rewrite their oxp.

And depending on what other oxps you have installed, the station, main planet, sun (guilty!) and witchpoint buoy might well not be in the same position as the oxp creator expects. Using pws ( & similar) ensures that the relative positions of your newly created planets are still consistent.

I personally would be quite happy disabling abs from plists altogether, since it can potentially cause a lot of headaches for oxp creators...

If it's just the wording that's an issue, we can always change "intended" to something like this: warning - 'abs' usage inside plists is deprecated and will be removed in future releases...

Would that be better?
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Frame wrote:
when abs is used in planetinfo.plist we get a warning like this

warning abs is intended for dynamic positioning only..

"intended"....

Either do or don't, in this case I cannot see a reason for the warning if the code is able to use abs, then so be it. nor do I see a reason for abs not being able to be used from inside the planetinfo.plist, since abs is the most logical coordinate system to use..
I think Kaks already explained it but abs is only useful after calculations with internal coordinates. But the legacy system has no access to that so any of the other coordinates based on planet position will always give a better position result. Therefor the warning not to use it in legacy scripts.

The abs planet positions might even be different on different operating systems.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

yeah.. player.fuel = player.ship.fuel...

but I understand why it changed..

regarding

I'm not sure I understand what ABS is then, I thought abs was the script Equivalent of the internal coordinate system :S

No matter I'm quite happy with pws or abs, but do not disable it.. I think a few OXPs would be broken if so...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Frame wrote:

I'm not sure I understand what ABS is then, I thought abs was the script Equivalent of the internal coordinate system :S
You're right: abs is the script equivalent of the internal coordinate system! However, there isn't a standard place for anything inside any of the systems.

The problem came to light when quite a few people couldn't find the original Lave Academy, which was supposed to be positioned fairly close to the main lave station.

The original problem is discussed towards the end of the first page of this thread, and it goes on for a few more pages:

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=5842

and the more 'devspeak' follow up is here:

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=5867
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Oh well, quite a lot if reading then.. getting coffee...

:?

Interesting, shabby pseudo random generator ^^

hmm. read it all now..

Maybe the warning should change to something like

"warning, "abs" used in planetinfo.plist may produce different results on different computer systems & Operation systems"

so there is no doubt for any future OXP creator...

On a side note, I cannot believe I missed the lava academy OXP thread entirely. must have been playing to much BFH beta at the time :?

I just read "intented", its there for (insert you religion superior here) sake, why warn about it :)
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Kaks wrote:
You're right: abs is the script equivalent of the internal coordinate system! However, there isn't a standard place for anything inside any of the systems.

The problem came to light when quite a few people couldn't find the original Lave Academy, which was supposed to be positioned fairly close to the main lave station.
Actually above problem stays when using "wpm" as coordinates in positioning around the planet. The reference point must be the first character. P near planes or S near the sun.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Yep, either 'pwm' or 'psm' are probably the best relative coordinate systems to use when trying to position entities close to the main planet.

About 'intended': does
WARNING ----- script.deprecated: setting position for entity 'whatever' in 'abs' inside .plists can cause compatibility issues across Oolite versions. Use coordinates relative to main system objects instead.
Sound any better?
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Frame wrote:
most annoying deprecations so far In my humble opinion

Player.ship

and

setPosition replaced with the more common method of =
setOrientation replaced with the more common method =
Why?

All of these make far more sense than what was there before. I realize that change is inherently annoying, but I think we’ve been pretty clear that the JS interface isn’t finalized yet. That’s part of why we call them “test releases”.
Frame wrote:
element brackets
this.ship.position= ([x,y,z])
The parentheses there aren’t needed, [x, y, z] is sufficient. I think the fact that you can use array syntax there is a rather nice convenience; a more puritan approach would require this.ship.position = new Vector3D(x, y, z). I’m not sure what you’d want instead – allowing “ this.ship.position = x, y, z” would require a custom JavaScript engine huge overhaul of the syntax of the language.