Crash ... crash ... crash ... ???

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Crash ... crash ... crash ... ???

Post by Commander McLane »

Firing Oolite (1.72.2) up for the first time in months. Got three consecutive crashes immediatly after leaving the station when attempting to open either the player inspector or the debug console and preparing for hyperjump. WTF?!? :shock:
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: Crash ... crash ... crash ... ???

Post by Eric Walch »

Commander McLane wrote:
Firing Oolite (1.72.2) up for the first time in months. Got three consecutive crashes immediatly after leaving the station when attempting to open either the player inspector or the debug console and preparing for hyperjump. WTF?!? :shock:
No idea what your problem is. I almost never use "inspect player" in the console, but as a pure coincidence i used it this week and I had a crash also. I repeated it and it seems I always crash when using "inspect player" on 1.73 trunk latest revision:

Code: Select all

Thread 0 Crashed:
0   libobjc.A.dylib               	0x95671684 objc_msgSend + 20
1   com.apple.CoreFoundation      	0x950cbc2a _CFStringAppendFormatAndArgumentsAux + 2874
2   com.apple.CoreFoundation      	0x950cd3a8 _CFStringCreateWithFormatAndArgumentsAux + 120
3   com.apple.Foundation          	0x93ee08f6 -[NSPlaceholderString initWithFormat:locale:arguments:] + 86
4   com.apple.Foundation          	0x93ee0888 +[NSString stringWithFormat:] + 88
5   org.aegidian.oolite.debugoxp  	0x1dc3d8d2 -[PlayerEntity(OOEntityInspectorExtensions) inspSecondaryIdentityLine] + 212
6   org.aegidian.oolite.debugoxp  	0x1dc3e49a -[OOObjectDebugInspectorModule update] + 155
7   com.apple.CoreFoundation      	0x95114b25 -[NSArray makeObjectsPerformSelector:] + 565
8   org.aegidian.oolite.debugoxp  	0x1dc3cebc -[OODebugInspector(Private) update] + 53 (OODebugInspector.m:183)
9   org.aegidian.oolite.debugoxp  	0x1dc3ce7f -[OODebugInspector(Private) placeModules] + 1080 (OODebugInspector.m:177)
10  org.aegidian.oolite.debugoxp  	0x1dc3c9c1 -[OODebugInspector(Private) initWithObject:] + 401 (OODebugInspector.m:128)
11  org.aegidian.oolite.debugoxp  	0x1dc3c5a9 +[OODebugInspector inspectorForObject:] + 256 (OODebugInspector.m:51)
12  org.aegidian.oolite.debugoxp  	0x1dc3d11d -[NSObject(OOInspectorExtensions) inspect] + 87
13  org.aegidian.oolite.debugoxp  	0x1dc2d1ba -[OODebugController inspectPlayer:] + 65
14  com.apple.AppKit              	0x96588e8f -[NSApplication sendAction:to:from:] + 112
15  com.apple.AppKit              	0x96637b64 -[NSMenu performActionForItemAtIndex:] + 493
16  com.apple.AppKit              	0x96637869 -[NSCarbonMenuImpl performActionWithHighlightingForItemAtIndex:] + 220
17  com.apple.AppKit              	0x966144ba AppKitMenuEventHandler + 6608
But doing the same with 1.72 it was okay with me so it is only a bug in the new console. I your case I would expect it is trying to load a ship from an oxp that does not exist.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

I think I found where the error is, but I seem to have problems compiling it!

If anyone can compile DebugOXP.project, the code to change is inside

OOShipDebugInspectorModule.m. Find:

- (IBAction) inspectTarget:sender
{
	[[[self object] primaryTarget] inspect];
}
and change it to

- (IBAction) inspectPlayer:sender
{
	[[self object] inspect];
}

- (IBAction) inspectTarget:sender
{
	[[[self object] primaryTarget] inspect];
}
and add the new method to OOShipDebugInspectorModule.h too:

- (IBAction) inspectPlayer:sender; //new method
- (IBAction) inspectTarget:sender;
After compile, the new debug oxp should work ok, unless I made some stupid mistake reading the code...

PS: using a previous version of debug.oxp with a tweaked requires.plist might well correct this problem, but the older debug.oxp might be incompatible with 1.72.2+ in other ways...
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Kaks wrote:
I think I found where the error is, but I seem to have problems compiling it!

If anyone can compile DebugOXP.project, the code to change is inside
To compile you might need one extra external file that is not mentioned in the build page. (It was mentioned on an older version of that mac-build page, look into the history of that wiki page as I don't remember it anymore.) With me the console always compiles simultaneously with the oolite compile.

But your fix works. I committed it to the trunk.

The old 1.72 console also works on 1.73 when changing the requires plist, but the new one has very useful group info in the target inspectors that misses in the old console.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

I eventually got it to compile, but only against an OSX 10.4 - i386 target.
Most of my attempts resulted in getting 26 errors, that is after I added FScript.framework to the debug.oxp project...

I was aiming for a 10.3.9 - universal binary target, which seems well beyond my xcode skills. Unfortunately, I believe that's what we should be having in order to replace the current debug oxp when 1.73 is released...

Is that the case, or can we just assume that nobody with a PPC & 10.3.9 is going to need debug.oxp?
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Hmmm, on further investigation there seems to be another bug with the player's inspector: the player's name (which should appear on the second line of the inspector) seems to be always null, and has lead to consistent crashes when starting witchspace countdowns...

By simply removing the player's name from the inspector, no crashes happened, under any circumstance I could think of.

I'm going to do some more testing tonight, just in case, and commit the safer version later on!

Cheers,

Kaks
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Yes, one of my crashes was when I started the witchjump countdown.

And very nice to know that you're on it! :D

By the way: I'm on OS X 10.4.11 on an Intel Mac.

Oh, and I wonder why I had never problems with it until February. I usually had the player inspector open for long times (okay, I cannot swear that I also used it when jumping; but that would at least be likely).

When I dropped out here, I also dropped out of playing Oolite. And I didn't install anything new (well, not the game, and not the DebugOXP) since. So why these crashes now?
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Kaks wrote:
I eventually got it to compile, but only against an OSX 10.4 - i386 target.
Most of my attempts resulted in getting 26 errors, that is after I added FScript.framework to the debug.oxp project...
Than number sounds familiar. After the last update I compiled the new code but on closing I got a warning it could not save the debug project. Now every compile fails with the same number of 26 errors in the debug project. :twisted:
I have no clue as it compiles correctly the first time but for now I can exclude the console while compiling Oolite.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

It seems to compile ok for me now, if I set the build settings to 10.4 | TestRelease | Build All.

In any case, I made a copy of the hopefully bug free debug oxp and here it is: debug.oxp.
Commander McLane, let us know if it solves your problems. It's been created against trunk, so the usual requires.plist tweaks are needed to use it with oolite 1.72.2.

The fixes contained in this debug.oxp are only for intel based macs, OSX 10.4 and above. If you never use the mac-only 'inspect player' property inspector, you can safely use the version of debug.oxp that's on the wiki instead!

edit:it seems I committed my dodgy version of the debugOXP project file, and that caused those 26 errors on your machine... I'm everting it back to how it was before now. Sorry Eric!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Kaks wrote:
Commander McLane, let us know if it solves your problems. It's been created against trunk, so the usual requires.plist tweaks are needed to use it with oolite 1.72.2.
Not yet:
[system]: *** -[NSBundle load]: Error loading code /Applications/Spiele/Oolite 1.72.2/AddOns/Debug.oxp/Contents/MacOS/Debug for bundle /Applications/Spiele/Oolite 1.72.2/AddOns/Debug.oxp, error code 4 (link edit error code 4, error number 0 (Library not loaded: @executable_path/../Frameworks/FScript.framework/Versions/A/FScript
Referenced from: /Applications/Spiele/Oolite 1.72.2/AddOns/Debug.oxp/Contents/MacOS/Debug
Reason: image not found))
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Kaks wrote:
edit:it seems I committed my dodgy version of the debugOXP project file, and that caused those 26 errors on your machine... I'm everting it back to how it was before now. Sorry Eric!
Thanks, it now compiles again. Still don't know what went wrong exactly. Your code did compile once correctly. I verified that the player name was now correctly. Only after that first time compiles failed.
Got it working again with your new update now.

To mc Lane: The old console works for 1.73 but probably not the other way round. 1.73 has a new group property. The console supports that by opening a window with all ships in a group. That can never be backward compatible. I think the missing part will normally be inside Oolite 1.73.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Commander McLane, the error you're getting is because you haven't got the FScript framework installed on your system, and quite obviously I got confused with the xcode options... I should have statically linked debug.oxp against FScript, while it looks like it's been dynamically linked...

Unfortunately, I'm still very much lost as far as xcode is concerned. :cry:

If you instal the fscript framework on your system, you might be able to see the 1.73 style property inspector in action, but it might also crash oolite horribly when it tries to access the new group properties.

Where's that BatAhruman signal...
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Kaks wrote:
Commander McLane, the error you're getting is because you haven't got the FScript framework installed on your system, and quite obviously I got confused with the xcode options... I should have statically linked debug.oxp against FScript, while it looks like it's been dynamically linked...
If you instal the fscript framework on your system, you might be able to see the 1.73 style property inspector in action, but it might also crash oolite horribly when it tries to access the new group properties.

For what it is worth: http://www.fscript.org/
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Thanks guys!

But for now I think I'm just going to continue with the old Debug.oxp and wait for 1.73. :)
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Kaks wrote:

Unfortunately, I'm still very much lost as far as xcode is concerned. :cry:

Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here