Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Questions on Overhauls and laser colours.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Commander Burton
Competent
Competent

Questions on Overhauls and laser colours.

Post by Commander Burton »

Hey Commanders.

Please tell me ;

1. What exactly does a maintenance overhaul do? I've read the description but I wondered if your ship degrades over time slightly? Please explain this.

2. Do npc ships have different types of lasers ? (Pulse, Beam etc), And do the colours of the laser streaks denote what they are?

3. .....oh and also, what the hell kind of lasers does a Wolf Mk II have ? I was doing so well, came up against one of those in the Diso system, and he knocked me into the middle of next week !

I await the answers with trepidation :lol:
Yours,

Cdr Burton
Elite
Since
MCMLXXXIV
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

1) It reduces the chances of things breaking, plus problems like fuel leaks and witchspace mis-jumps (come to my parlour, said the Thargoid to the Jameson) occurring when you jump.

2) Yes NPC ships have different laser types, depending on what their designer chose to give them. And whilst it may be that by default each laser has a given colour (never looked to be honest), this too can be overridden by the shipdata.plist settings for the ship so I wouldn't go relying on it anyway.

3) Offhand no idea, look it up in the wiki perhaps?
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

1. The trade in value of your ship drops off a lot over time. A maintance overhall restores it to full. Its always worth therefore waiting for an overhall and selling after you've done it. Also if you don't service, fuel leaks and misjumps become more likley.

2. Yep. NPCs do have different types of lasers (Pulse, Beam, Military, Twin Plasma Cannon or Mining) - same as the player. The colour though is just what that ship has. Eg a ship with blue lasers fires a blue beam whatever type of laser it has. NPCs can also have rear lasers, but don't have left or right guns.

3. Two Military Lasers. No tougher than the Military Lasers available to the player and other ships, but if you get caught by both beams its twice the pain. The wolf has to mount them outside its sheilds though, so you can shoot them off leaving it toothless. Some other ships will have two beams or two pulse. Some military ships can have lots.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Commander Burton
Competent
Competent

Post by Commander Burton »

I see. Thank you.

Wouldn't it be nice though if the lasers were defined by their colour :lol:
Yours,

Cdr Burton
Elite
Since
MCMLXXXIV
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

To avoid potential disappointment, it's worth noting that the Wolf II – and all other ships with multiple lasers – only have the one when used as a player ship. Still, the Wolf is a sweet little number, one laser or two ... 8)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Commander Burton wrote:
I see. Thank you.

Wouldn't it be nice though if the lasers were defined by their colour :lol:
No, because it would be too big a restriction for ship designers.

The default laser colour is red for all lasers. Police and military ships use magenta coloured lasers. Different groups and factions in the Ooniverse use other distinct laser colours. (I probably once wrote a list of all the laser colours in use and put it somewhere in the wiki; at least I seem to remember something like that.)

Oh, and if you ever notice a big Imperial Courier
materializing in your back out of nowhere and opening fire with a white laser, run for your life (or probably don't, because it will be too late anyway)! That's me! :twisted:
zevans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm

Post by zevans »

Physics would have it that the violet lasers are more destructive than the red - so purple vs red is about right.

Physics would also have it that
- a white laser is impossible
- you couldn't see them in hard vacuum
- mil-spec would probably be X-ray wavelength and therefore invisible twice over

...so we'd better not go there come to think of it!
Sarin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sarin »

Physics? This is Ooniverse.....
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Commander McLane wrote:
materializing in your back out of nowhere and opening fire with a white laser, run for your life (or probably don't, because it will be too late anyway)! That's me! :twisted:
A white laser on an Imp, hmm? I'll remember that. What's your legality? :twisted:
BTW, I don't run. But you might consider it an option...That is, if an engine is still attached...
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Tivva
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Right behind you in a cloaked Thargoid Warship prototype

Post by Tivva »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
A white laser on an Imp, hmm? I'll remember that. What's your legality? :twisted:
BTW, I don't run. But you might consider it an option...That is, if an engine is still attached...
@ Cmdr Wyvern- Bugger... Beat me to it you scaly beastie :twisted:
@Cmdr McLane- when you see green laser fire & green plasma then you've got me on you're tail & you're about to be scooped :lol:

We NEED multiplayer Oolite to prove all this bragging once & for all....
Bring it on :twisted:
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Tivva wrote:
@ Cmdr Wyvern- Bugger... Beat me to it you scaly beastie :twisted:
@Cmdr McLane- when you see green laser fire & green plasma then you've got me on you're tail & you're about to be scooped :lol:
Impy captains are very loud when it comes to bragging. They forget their precious ubership has a fatal design flaw: Those outrigger engines.
A flaw which I'm happy to exploit with some surgical laserectomy. A couple of weeks drifting sans thrust tends to humble the buggers.

Green lasers here, too. And cyan plasma blasts. :)
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Bah, these plasma thingies--whatever colour--are probably a nuisance, but rarely more than that. My trusty lasers will have fried you before your turrets are even in firing range. :P Oh, and by the way: Turrets can (and will!) be surgically removed as well. :twisted:
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Commander McLane wrote:
Bah, these plasma thingies--whatever colour--are probably a nuisance, but rarely more than that. My trusty lasers will have fried you before your turrets are even in firing range. :P Oh, and by the way: Turrets can (and will!) be surgically removed as well. :twisted:
Not the way I build em. They've practically the same colour as the deck plate mate. Whilst your trying to work out what's turret and what's ship;

I'z in my spacefingy, Swiss cheesin' your shields.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

What would be nicest of all is if the turrets could all have individual targets.

At the moment whilst the turret may have a different target to the main ship (its front laser), if the ship has multiple turrets they will all attack the same target...
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

ClymAngus wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
Not the way I build em. They've practically the same colour as the deck plate mate. Whilst your trying to work out what's turret and what's ship;

I'z in my spacefingy, Swiss cheesin' your shields.
Like I said, from a distance of 20 to 25 km it doesn't really matter anyway. :wink: