Trunk problem with docking fines and similar messages

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

zevans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm

Trunk problem with docking fines and similar messages

Post by zevans »

When I dock, the new improved equipment list appears as it should... but unfortunately the message about fines appears on top of it so it's sometimes unreadable...

I had this problem on 2252 as well so not related to the equipment list changes, I don't think
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: Trunk problem with docking fines and similar messages

Post by Eric Walch »

zevans wrote:
When I dock, the new improved equipment list appears as it should... but unfortunately the message about fines appears on top of it so it's sometimes unreadable...

I had this problem on 2252 as well so not related to the equipment list changes, I don't think
I noticed that to. But in the past they were also written over the equipment so I think there is no big difference. I did also notice that string expansion does not take place for the fines message. (Only needed for one of the four possibilities). I already asked Kaks if he could look at it. Don't know if this is already longer wrong as I am normally clean and rarely get those messages.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Ok, I'm going to reposition the message, so it will show under the 'more ->' line.

PS: I've already got string expansion to work on the fines messages, hopefully should commit these changes later on!
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Kaks wrote:
PS: I've already got string expansion to work on the fines messages, hopefully should commit these changes later on!
Than I am to late. Found the bug also. Somehow the string-expansion instruction was deleted in "getfined". I looked back and for 1.70 it still was there.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

The fines messages now show under the equipment, but I had to move the message line downward, as well as shrink the space available to display the equipment.
None of this causes any problems in vanilla Oolite, but the repositioned message line might overlap with big huds, and possibly might affect some carefully positioned OXP mission screens...

In other words, more testing is needed! Please reply in this thread if there's any overlap with rev.2275+ message lines & your favourite OXPs!
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
zevans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm

Post by zevans »

'Fraid I found one with Galactic Navy - I docked after the first sortie and the message that congratulates me on the first battle being over still overran the F5 screen that appears as soon as you dock.
zevans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by zevans »

zevans wrote:
'Fraid I found one with Galactic Navy - I docked after the first sortie and the message that congratulates me on the first battle being over still overran the F5 screen that appears as soon as you dock.
It was actually interfering with the message you get when you "deliver" an escape pod and claim the insurance bounty - not interfering with the F5 screen.

So "war is over" message clashes with "you have rescued such-and-such a person" screen when you dock.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Kaks wrote:
The fines messages now show under the equipment, but I had to move the message line downward, as well as shrink the space available to display the equipment.
None of this causes any problems in vanilla Oolite, but the repositioned message line might overlap with big huds, and possibly might affect some carefully positioned OXP mission screens...
Looks good to me. The message stands out more clearly. Only thing could be to give the fines message a longer duration. It appears simultaneously with the new screen. Because the whole screen is changed, it takes a bit more time to realise there is also a message displayed. Only when I expect the message I have time to read it completely.

And your suppressing of double message seems to work well. 8)
Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

Is this a problem with Galactic Navy that I need to fix, or is it an Oolite problem?
Dream as if you'll live forever
Live as if you'll die tomorrow
zevans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by zevans »

Nemoricus wrote:
Is this a problem with Galactic Navy that I need to fix, or is it an Oolite problem?
The problem is that the GN messages appear at the same time as a rescued-escape-pod message... bit confused as to what this new six-second thing is, maybe that's the fix if GN was updated to use it?

Alternatively maybe oolite needs to keep a closer eye on who is flashing what on the screen and referee a bit more!
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Nemoricus wrote:
Its partly a GN problem. But difficult to fix. Now you just display the message on docking. It would make things more complex when also waiting until the F5 screen appears.

Thinking of it, it would be a nice feature if we could add our own messages to the arrival screen. That way it would be incorporated between the other messages and roll over to a next page if there are many messages. (no idea if this is easy to implement)
Should not be to difficult to do that. It is just a matter of adding a string to the report. The engine than takes care of the display.

Code: Select all

{
		[dockingReport appendString:myReport];
	}
Would be an alternative to the missionscreen for short docking messages.

EDIT: Just created a new JS function that does it. I'll report back after fully testing.
Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

Sounds good, then.
Dream as if you'll live forever
Live as if you'll die tomorrow
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Nemoricus wrote:
Sounds good, then.
Just added to the trunk: addMessageToArrivalReport(message) as a method for the player.
It must be called at latest with this.willDockWithStation() because Oolite is placing its own reports to the list after this and before this.dockedWithStation(). No harm when adding the report later, but it than only will be shown on the next docking.
Messages added with this method will be at the top of the list. There is also no need to add free lines to separate with other messages, the method will take care of this.

I also added an eventhandler this.reportScreenEnded() to help preventing of overwriting the reports with a missionscreen. This handler makes it easy to postpone showing your own missionpage and wait until you get a signal it is ready showing. For multi-page reports, it only fires after the last report-page. I updated the internal missions with this, so look inside Oolite for examples for use of this handler.
Last edited by Eric Walch on Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

As ever Eric - you're genius astounds me. Well done.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
zevans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by zevans »

It's great how you report a bug and the fix also fixes a million possible future bugs... how do you guys do it?