Beginner Questions (Keyboard control and OXPs)

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Greyman
Dangerous
Dangerous

Keyboard config

Post by Greyman »

Wasn't there a small utility for Mac machines which allowed to create a user defined keyconfig.plist by asking about the corresponding key for a specific action? Maybe it would be a nice idea to update this utility and port it to the other major OS? This way everyone can create his/her own keyconfig.plist and copy it into the AddOn folder.

Well, it's just a suggestion from my side. Maybe someone out there still has the source code of that small utility for us to play around?
hacht
Average
Average

Re: Keyboard config

Post by hacht »

Greyman wrote:
Maybe it would be a nice idea to update this utility and port it to the other major OS?
Better integrate it into oolite, then no external tools or file copying need to be involved.
Greyman
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Greyman »

Sure it would be nice to have this configuration feature integrated into the game. My intention was to have a "quick (interims) solution" which wouldn't add to all the to-do items on the list of the programming team.

But maybe they have something like that already on their agenda ... :?:
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Keyboard config

Post by Commander McLane »

Greyman wrote:
Wasn't there a small utility for Mac machines which allowed to create a user defined keyconfig.plist by asking about the corresponding key for a specific action?
Yes, it's called the Oolite Keymapper, and it used to be part of every Mac Oolite distribution (in the Extras-folder within the main Oolite folder). Not sure for the latest test releases, though.

Main problem is that it is quite outdated, and therefore doesn't cover any keys added after Oolite 1.65 (I believe; but it could be older yet). So it produces only a rudimentary keyconfig.plist.

The whole thing was created by Cap'n Hack, who isn't an actively posting member of the boards anymore, but will still respond to PMs sent to him. I am sure that if asked he wouldn't have any objections to somebody taking up the staff and bringing the Keymapper up to date with Oolite 1.72.2.1.
Greyman
Dangerous
Dangerous

Oolite Keymapper

Post by Greyman »

Thanks for your reply, Commander McLane. I wrote a PM to capnhack and he even found the source code of his Keymapper. It's written in RealBASIC and I asked him to send to me.

I guess my programming skills (which really are not noteable at all) might be sufficient to give it a try updating it.
Rustybolts
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rustybolts »

Surely an option in the game to redefine the keys should be standard.
Yes i know about altering keyconfig.plist and have done so myself, but not everyone likes altering such things. (strange feeling of deja vu)
STE.+ Firefly/Dragonfly + BlackJacksbullion v.1.23 link below.
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=ca16 ... f6e8ebb871